Cat In Heat Refuses To Mate?

miss.dia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I'm new to mating cats. I have a 2 year old female cat who's going through heat for about 5 days already. She shows the signs; she's very loud and affectionate (she's very aloof when she's normal :\), she rubs herself on the floor, raises her butt in the air and things like that but she doesn't let my male, who's been with her for a year already, mate with her. She fights with him whenever he tries. I've tried introducing her to other tomcats in the past but she just wouldn't let them. Is this normal or just some weird mating ritual?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What breed are you working with? Can you call the breeder of your female cat and ask if her mom was the same way?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this the same cat with medical issues you were posting about in December?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss.dia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed are you working with? Can you call the breeder of your female cat and ask if her mom was the same way?
She's a Himalayan-Siamese cat. Sadly, I don't have contact with the breeder I got her from.

Is this the same cat with medical issues you were posting about in December?
Nope! It's another cat. The one I posted about last time is spayed and vaccinated :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himalayan (colorpoint Persian) and Siamese are really different breeds... is she a combination of both? What about your male?

miss.dia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she is. That's what the breeder told me but she just looks likes a hairy siamese, not as fluffy as a himmie. My male is a domestic shorthair.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you interested in breeding cats that will be moggies, or common cat mixes? It does not sound like your cats have been health tested.

I know you live in an area where there are tons and tons of cats in need of a home. Maybe you could consider fostering a pregnant mom in need and not contributing to the population issue.

miss.dia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, the first two cats we set up with my female cat were pure himalayans but she rejected them even when she's in full blown heat. I initially thought that she's afraid of them since they haven't been with her for a long time, but it looks like I was wrong as she rejects even a cat that grew up with her.

All my cats are healthy and health tested :) I finally managed to do and update all the necessary things recently. The vet said they're all fine. I did address this mating problem and trying with a familiar cat was what she recommended. I also don't think we can foster/adopt pregnant animals here.

Still, thank you for answering!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you be able to find good homes for non-purebred kittens? Would you be able to afford a c-section if necessary?

Also the health testing for breeding cats is different than regular vet care. Stuff like EKGs to make sure their hearts are OK and genetic testing, etc.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that you ask your question in a very innocent way in a pro-spay/neuter community makes me think that you are simply not aware that what you want to do is unethical and irresponsible. Please read about cat overpopulation in the world and consequences of unethical "breeding". I don't know where you live, but there is no place in the world that doesn't have such problem. You are directly contributing to cats' misery. Please reconsider it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is your goal in breeding this girl? Breeding decisions always depend on the goals of your breeding program.

If your goal is "breed Himalayan cats," then I would suggest that you spay your girl (and neuter your male), and look for a nice breeding quality Himalayan female, out of lines with good health and fertility, from a reputable breeder who can help you and mentor you (unlike your girl's breeder, who isn't helping you). Himalayans (or any other Persians) can be complicated to breed, so it's important to have a mentor to help with problems that come up.

If your goal is "raise a litter of kittens," in that case talkingpeanut talkingpeanut had a great suggestion of fostering a pregnant mom in need. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can help you find a rescue organization that could hook you up. (You'd also want to spay and neuter the cats that you have now, in that case.)

Maybe you have a different goal? If you let us know what your goals are, we would be better able to help.

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm sure your girl is beautiful and any kits she had would be adorable. You've offered her several suitors and she wants nothing to do with them. Maybe it's time to listen to her and let her not have babies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i'm sure your girl is beautiful and any kits she had would be adorable. You've offered her several suitors and she wants nothing to do with them. Maybe it's time to listen to her and let her not have babies.
Agreed. It's time that she were spayed. Even if the tom were a purebreed, the kittens would not be since mom is not. They would be moggies. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just that there are already so many of them out there who really need homes. These cats/kittens are being put down at an alarming rate simply because there is no room for all of them and not enough funds to take care of them. Please spay/neuter all of your cats.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clearly she is not interested in mating. I would take this as a sign to spay her and get her out of the misery of being in heat all the time. Plus do you know how PAINFUL mating is for the female? She doesn't know of course but I couldn't imagine a barbed penis tearing my poor cat up. Just spay the poor thing.

Also what do you mean there is no fostering pregnant cats around there? Literally most every reputable shelter is hard pressed for foster home volunteers to care for pregnant cats. Please consider that?

miss.dia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys, you have no idea how much of an eye opener this is. I went to this community to ask for opinions that I didn't think of, refused to consider, or has not been offered to me by the people in the community I belong to. Everyone's answers help me and my cats and I highly appreciate it.

Simply not being interested to mate is the answer to my question. Hellenww is right, it's time to listen to her. I'll discuss this with my partner and have the cat scheduled for spaying soon. Thank you!

But to answer some of your questions...

My partner gave me that cat. He wanted to have a littler from that cat. I didn't see any problem with that so I agreed. Here in the my country, people don't care if you choose to breed as long as you can provide the necessary things for them. It's not immoral here. It's not irresponsible if you can provide them a good life. That's how things work in where I come from. It might be wrong for others but it's not a problem here.

With that said I'm ready for all the kittens. Me and my partner have been preparing for them so I'm very sure we can afford all the necessary care and maintenance the kittens will need. They will stay with me once they arrive.

I really haven't came across with a pregnant adoptable. Probably because the shelters don't trust people with the kittens? I'm not sure. I just haven't been offered with that and I never asked. Most adoptables are grown cats, victims of animal abuse or abandonment. I live in the Philippines. Still, I will try to inquire about that! My house is very open to cats and dogs needing a home (even if I still do get the kittens).

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, you have no idea how much of an eye opener this is. I went to this community to ask for opinions that I didn't think of, refused to consider, or has not been offered to me by the people in the community I belong to. Everyone's answers help me and my cats and I highly appreciate it.

Simply not being interested to mate is the answer to my question. Hellenww is right, it's time to listen to her. I'll discuss this with my partner and have the cat scheduled for spaying soon. Thank you!

But to answer some of your questions...

My partner gave me that cat. He wanted to have a littler from that cat. I didn't see any problem with that so I agreed. Here in the my country, people don't care if you choose to breed as long as you can provide the necessary things for them. It's not immoral here. It's not irresponsible if you can provide them a good life. That's how things work in where I come from. It might be wrong for others but it's not a problem here.

With that said I'm ready for all the kittens. Me and my partner have been preparing for them so I'm very sure we can afford all the necessary care and maintenance the kittens will need. They will stay with me once they arrive.

I really haven't came across with a pregnant adoptable. Probably because the shelters don't trust people with the kittens? I'm not sure. I just haven't been offered with that and I never asked. Most adoptables are grown cats, victims of animal abuse or abandonment. I live in the Philippines. Still, I will try to inquire about that! My house is very open to cats and dogs needing a home (even if I still do get the kittens).
It's so great that you were able to think about this again, and put your cat's needs first! I'm proud of you.

There is a ton of animal overpopulation in the Philippines, so while breeding may not be frowned upon, you are still creating more lives that take away spaces in homes from cats that are strays or in shelters. Responsible spaying and neutering is the best way to help reduce overpopulation.

On top of that, as others have mentioned, cats don't have a desire for kittens like a human might. It's all instinctual.

Maybe try reaching out here: The Philippine Animal Welfare Society PAWS

I'm not sure how close they are to you, but I know they do a lot of work. There are surely smaller rescue organizations as well.