Cat In A Window Which Looks A Mess - Rspca Called

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I came across this cat here in England and when I first saw it I was shocked at how bad it looked to the point it left me angry. I contacted The RSPCA ASAP and within an hour an officer went to the address.

It seems the cat has a mouth tumour which is why the jaw looks like this and the officer made an emergency appointment for the cat to be taken the vets. That’s all the information I had on the matter.

It really has annoyed me played on my mind because it looks like it has Multiple issues and is quite old due to looking at the coat.

Can anyone shed any light on what is wrong with his eyes? And why he seems to be all wet around the mouth/head. I really hope this cat was seen to and given whatever treatment was needed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A tumor in the mouth would cause decreased eating which can lead to malnutrition and make the coat look bad. If the cat isn't grooming the coat will also start to look bad. The cat will also loose weight causing them to be skinny on top of a bad coat. His eyes could be related if the oils from his skin are affecting his eyes or it could be unrelated if the tumor has spread or completely unrelated if there is a separate infection going on.

I am really glad you called at the RSCPA took action to get this guy seen by a vet. It could be classic neglect in the sense that the owner just doesn't care for the cat but it could also be a snowball where the owner just didn't notice how bad it got. If the cat slowly declined the owner might have just gotten used to it over time or they might have thought nothing could be done to help it so they did nothing. Benefit of the doubt and all. But it is clear to anyone on the outside this cat desperately needs medical attention and if he is elderly there is a chance he can't come back from it. I've seen cats recover from situation just as bad but it isn't easy. Whatever happens next, this guy will receive the assistance he needs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't add much to that information from Kieka Kieka , but I will say THANK YOU for caring enough to make that call! You may have saved the cat's life. At the very least, you have eased his suffering.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just from looking at the window I'd guess that the cat has had a bad URI for some time. URI's can reduce appetite as well. Cats appetites are stimulated by smell. If their ability to smell is compromised they might go off food. Of course this boy could be old and having kidney issues as well but I'd hazard a guess that there is some level of respiratory infection going on.

I'm not sure how things work in the UK. Is it possible to request an update? Here in the states it's never guaranteed. He does need help though. If the owner is treating him the RSPCA will follow up to make sure he is getting the care he needs.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, poor cat :( Thank you for calling the RSPCA to help this poor cat. I dont understand that if it was a slow progressive issue surley the owner would understand that the cat looks in really bad shape for a long time from the state the cat looks like right now. His eyes wouldnt have become like that over night and if it was progressive then why let the poor cat get to that stage at all. It looks like a case of severe neglect to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update for everyone I’ve managed to speak to the rspca officer who rang the vet and I fortunately the cat was put to rest.

I’m feeling guilt for taking away a cat by my phone call but I’m also glad because the cat was really really old and isn’t suffering anymore. Why do people let their cats get in this condition.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback and I can now rest easy knowing the little guy/girl isn’t suffering anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with a mouth tumor, it causes unstoppable drooling which would account for the wetness. My vet prescribed prednisone, 1/2 pill a day, and it slowed the progression and stopped the drooling!
Yes you could tell it had unstoppable drooling

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor cat! When I saw the picture I thought they probably wouldn't be able to do anything except for put the cat to sleep. At least he/she isn't suffering anymore.

Thank you for making the call, you saved this poor animal from suffering needlessly.

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten has passed, so I'll lock this one now.

Rest in Peace sweet heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.