Cat Hissing & Growling At Me, I Can't Live Like This

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her hissing and growling as her saying "I'm terrified!!! Help!" If my cat did that after a move I would sit down and talk to them. I would tell them I know the place smells weird and scary but to hang in there it will feel like home soon. Then I would puuuuuuurrrrrrrr , do the slow blink and stay there until my cat was less afraid. I would also try new toys to see if you can get her interested. I have found leather cord braided into 3-4 feet chunks works great (the kind you use to make jewelry.) Or even a yard of unbranded cord, just be sure to put away after play and be careful to not accidentally whip your cat with it (I did with 3 strings of leather tied together so I braided it.) (Yes my cat forgave me.) Also newspaper fans or crumpled bars seem irresistible to cats.
:clap::salam::clap2::cheerleader::heartshape:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
@PushPurrCatPaws beat me to it.
Your emotions are something she can pick up on through body language and hormones! If you're constantly afraid of her and putting out that you're scared, she's in a new place with someone she thinks is familiar but is acting nervous and scared. She's probably just as confused as you!!

You have been with this cat for 3 years and she hasn't attacked you yet. Even out of all of the times she's hissed and growled. She has not once hurt you. That should tell you that it's okay to be confident around her. She's still your old bud! Try acting like it to her and it will probably make her feel better too.
:clap::goldstar::salam:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
She is an indoor cat so she does not interact with other animals. The hissing and growling is so random and didnt start until last night - 9 days since we have moved in. Thats why I am so confused about it. I am afraid to even pet her anymore or pick her up because of fear she might switch up in that moment and attack.
Something is triggering it, when it happens stop and think what happened the previous few seconds. If you are going to be leaving her all alone next weekend she is possibly going to be very traumatized. Is there someone you can have come and check on her? Make sure she meets them before you abandon her (her mindset).

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
She was fine when I came back in but of course she started the hissing and growling again out of no where and ran under my bed. Not sure how long I can deal with this. The good part is she has not scratched or bitten me or tried to attack. But I honestly hate living like this.
She can sense your mood and will react to it. Stop being so scared around her, you are making the situation worse. Talk or sing to her constantly maybe leave the tv or radio on too.
Is Lilly her name and do you have any pictures you can post for us?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since cats read out moods, they have to alert and aware to survive, she can sense your fear. If you, the biggest person (cat) she knows is afraid, there must be something horribly, terribly big, dangerous and probably deadly somewhere in this new space. In her mind, it's out to get both of you. More, since you've never hidden under the bed, you don't know how to hide. The only thing she can do to protect BOTH of you is to hiss and growl.

Remember cats are prey to a lot of creatures and they know it. It makes them tense sometimes, alert almost always.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Since cats read out moods, they have to alert and aware to survive, she can sense your fear. If you, the biggest person (cat) she knows is afraid, there must be something horribly, terribly big, dangerous and probably deadly somewhere in this new space. In her mind, it's out to get both of you. More, since you've never hidden under the bed, you don't know how to hide. The only thing she can do to protect BOTH of you is to hiss and growl.

Remember cats are prey to a lot of creatures and they know it. It makes them tense sometimes, alert almost always.
:clap::wow: What an excellent and insightful peek into the feline mindset. It just makes so much sense! :clap2::salam::bouquet::rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Something is triggering it, when it happens stop and think what happened the previous few seconds. If you are going to be leaving her all alone next weekend she is possibly going to be very traumatized. Is there someone you can have come and check on her? Make sure she meets them before you abandon her (her mindset).
Unfortunately I don't. Our family and friends live hours away. Its a very quiet neighborhood with no loud noises. I was hoping she could take this time to get to know the apartment alone and see that it actually is a safe place. I got her a feliway plug in so hopefully this helps. I have left her alone before in my old apartment more than once throughout the years and she has done just fine.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EEF010A1-AA75-480D-B2F3-FAECAFE73569.jpeg
She can sense your mood and will react to it. Stop being so scared around her, you are making the situation worse. Talk or sing to her constantly maybe leave the tv or radio on too.
Is Lilly her name and do you have any pictures you can post for us?
Her name isn’t Lilly lol its actually Dutchess. I purchased her off Craigslist when she was just 5 months old.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have been much more confident today. No hissing and growling thank goodness although I still do get a little nervous around her. Especially going into the bathroom as this is where she cornered me when she first started the aggressiveness two nights ago. I can see by the way she moves she is still getting used to things. I feel so bad that I had to move but I am hoping she will get used to things pretty soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can understand that I startled her last night but why did she even hiss at me today. I am dreading going home as I know she will probably be up.
Your emotions are something she can pick up on through body language and hormones! If you're constantly afraid of her and putting out that you're scared, she's in a new place with someone she thinks is familiar but is acting nervous and scared. She's probably just as confused as you!!

The above quotes all go together, and between @mikameek and K Kflowers , they pretty much covered everything I was thinking. Dutchess is picking up on your fear and confusion, and it is feeding hers. Take a deep breath, and move confidently but not abruptly. This is going to resolve itself.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The above quotes all go together, and between @mikameek and K Kflowers , they pretty much covered everything I was thinking. Dutchess is picking up on your fear and confusion, and it is feeding hers. Take a deep breath, and move confidently but not abruptly. This is going to resolve itself.
This was the best advice! I noticed when I saw her about to get aggressive and I confidentially walked by she did not hiss or growl. She has not done this since I made this post actually.

I feel so bad. I never took into consideration how hard it would be to find comfort in our new home. Hopefully she will be okay soon. I am sure it will take a while though. So sad I have to leave her this weekend but I am sure she will do fine.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I think back on it it still does not make complete sense to me. The first night she hissed at me I get it completely. But going into the next day I was literally doing nothing. First time I was washing my hands and when I went to leave the bathroom she did it. Cornered me again - same as she did the night before - blocking the door way hissing and growling stopping me from leaving. Second time that day she was laying in my window and I was putting away clothes she stood on the window sill and did it again. Last, I came back into the room and opened the door and she was at the door waiting for me and did it again SMH. None of these situations were threatening this day. At least I do not think so.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel so bad. I never took into consideration how hard it would be to find comfort in our new home. Hopefully she will be okay soon. I am sure it will take a while though. So sad I have to leave her this weekend but I am sure she will do fine.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Cats are forgiving. It just takes them a minute.

But going into the next day I was literally doing nothing.
Ah, but now she was associating her fright with you, rather than what you did. As you remain calm and confident around her, that will grow less and less until she lets it go entirely.