Cat Hissing & Growling At Me, I Can't Live Like This

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has me wrapped around her dirty pink claw, when it's time for dinner she looks at me and wails a horrible meow like she's dying or something, and if you don't do it quick enough, she just glares at you like you the worst maid she ever had and is considering of letting you out of her service. But all jokes aside, I hope your problem gets fixed, because I could imagen the feeling of you family suddenly turning against you.
I just ordered a calming diffuser for her. Hopefully this helps her adjust to things better.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It has been less than a day since the first incident. There is absolutely no reason to consider giving her up. She just needs time to settle down and reacclimate.

Like others have said, try redirecting her attention when she begins hissing or growling, and stay calm around her. She'll be fine. So will you.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been less than a day since the first incident. There is absolutely no reason to consider giving her up. She just needs time to settle down and reacclimate.

Like others have said, try redirecting her attention when she begins hissing or growling, and stay calm around her. She'll be fine. So will you.
Thank you! Hopefully tomorrow there will be no hissing or growling at all.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is an indoor cat so she does not interact with other animals.
You'd be surprised at how aware indoor cats are of other, outdoor, cats in the area.

Do you think she might have some sort of illness like rabies?
I think that's next to impossible. She's indoor only, and she runs, not advances.

I really think you are dealing with a natural anxiety over the new home. It can take much longer than most people think for a cat to be completely comfortable in new surroundings. Honestly, if I even move furniture in my apartment, Hekitty is positively panicky for DAYS. If I moved, I'm sure it would be for WEEKS. If you can hang in there, I'm sure you'll have your cat back again. Just...when she gets like that, back away a little, slowly, speaking gently. Don't move towards her at that point. That would be the only way you would be in danger, in my opinion. And even that would be due to panick and fear, NOT anger and viciousness.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't take your cat's fear so personally. She hasn't actually attacked you, and she most likely won't. She's just scared, and in an unfamiliar place. If you feel like a prisoner in your own home, as a rational adult human, imagine how she feels - as a cat. She has no idea why you both moved, and no idea why, when she was feeling comfortable enough to hunt and make herself at home, you startled her. She may even think you were the one to exhibit aggression first (that is, if she isn't simply afraid of your feet.) She may have had a scary experience with a shoe before you adopted her, or been abused. There's just no knowing what goes through a cat's head, but it is certainly not that she's angry or hateful towards you.

I know that moving has probably been stressful for you as well, but at least you understand what's going on.
When you adopted her, you promised her that you'd take care of her no matter what. You've been together for three years, so don't let one bad day, or one bad behavior make you surrender her to a shelter, where there is a very great chance she'll be euthanized. Staying calm, and being patient, is the best thing for both of you right now.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her hissing and growling as her saying "I'm terrified!!! Help!" If my cat did that after a move I would sit down and talk to them. I would tell them I know the place smells weird and scary but to hang in there it will feel like home soon. Then I would puuuuuuurrrrrrrr , do the slow blink and stay there until my cat was less afraid. I would also try new toys to see if you can get her interested. I have found leather cord braided into 3-4 feet chunks works great (the kind you use to make jewelry.) Or even a yard of unbranded cord, just be sure to put away after play and be careful to not accidentally whip your cat with it (I did with 3 strings of leather tied together so I braided it.) (Yes my cat forgave me.) Also newspaper fans or crumpled bars seem irresistible to cats.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't take your cat's fear so personally. She hasn't actually attacked you, and she most likely won't. She's just scared, and in an unfamiliar place. If you feel like a prisoner in your own home, as a rational adult human, imagine how she feels - as a cat. She has no idea why you both moved, and no idea why, when she was feeling comfortable enough to hunt and make herself at home, you startled her. She may even think you were the one to exhibit aggression first (that is, if she isn't simply afraid of your feet.) She may have had a scary experience with a shoe before you adopted her, or been abused. There's just no knowing what goes through a cat's head, but it is certainly not that she's angry or hateful towards you.

I know that moving has probably been stressful for you as well, but at least you understand what's going on.
When you adopted her, you promised her that you'd take care of her no matter what. You've been together for three years, so don't let one bad day, or one bad behavior make you surrender her to a shelter, where there is a very great chance she'll be euthanized. Staying calm, and being patient, is the best thing for both of you right now.
I can understand that I startled her last night but why did she even hiss at me today. I am dreading going home as I know she will probably be up.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can understand that I startled her last night but why did she even hiss at me today. I am dreading going home as I know she will probably be up.
She's hissing because she's still frightened. It can take time for cats to get over scary experiences, especially when they're in an unfamiliar place. (Others have already given similar advice and shared relevant anecdotes above.) Cats don't think like humans, obviously, but you can imagine something similar to her situation: being in a location in which you don't yet feel entirely at home, encountering something frightening, and then being on edge for days afterward, especially around reminders of that frightening experience (in this case, you). Please, be patient. She will come around. A shelter is not a solution.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's hissing because she's still frightened. It can take time for cats to get over scary experiences, especially when they're in an unfamiliar place. (Others have already given similar advice and shared relevant anecdotes above.) Cats don't think like humans, obviously, but you can imagine something similar to her situation: being in a location in which you don't yet feel entirely at home, encountering something frightening, and then being on edge for days afterward, especially around reminders of that frightening experience (in this case, you). Please, be patient. She will come around. A shelter is not a solution.
She was fine when I came back in but of course she started the hissing and growling again out of no where and ran under my bed. Not sure how long I can deal with this. The good part is she has not scratched or bitten me or tried to attack. But I honestly hate living like this.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She was fine when I came back in but of course she started the hissing and growling again out of no where and ran under my bed. Not sure how long I can deal with this. The good part is she has not scratched or bitten me or tried to attack. But I honestly hate living like this.
No one enjoys being hissed at, but again, it's only been a day.

It's also possible that she's been injured somehow. You didn't mention the kind of insect she was playing with, but is there a chance she was bitten or stung?

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No one enjoys being hissed at, but again, it's only been a day.

It's also possible that she's been injured somehow. You didn't mention the kind of insect she was playing with, but is there a chance she was bitten or stung?
I honestly do not know what kind of insect it was. It was very small though. I think it had wings but if she was bitten why is she hissing and growling at me randomly. Sometimes shes super sweet and comes and rubs her head against me and out of no where the hissing and staring at me begins.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her hissing really has nothing to do with you. It's just her expressing anxiety about the situation she is in. At times I have had to travel with my cats and my own female cat always spends the first 3 or 4 days running around the new space growling at everything. It's just something that anxious cats do, and I've learned to ignore it and let her growl.

One thing you might try is helping your cat colonize the new space by giving her more hiding spaces. If you have any more decent-sized cardboard boxes left over from the move cut a hole in one and let her explore. It might encourage a more curious/playful response, and give her a safe space that she can use to get used to the other rooms in your apartment other than the bedroom.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Put simply: just because cats don't understand everything about the world we've created, doesn't mean they're stupid. Cats are really intelligent, and they remember. In her own world, she's remembering the threatening incident in her new environment, and repeating her ploy to seem tough and protect herself. She might even be picking up on your anxiety about being around her.
You should look at the possibility of her being up as another chance to work with her, and show her you (or your shoes, or your feet, or the new place,) are not a threat. Only by proving to her, over time, that she is safe and loved on her new home will she realize it is true. She will remember that too, if you continue to show it to her.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put simply: just because cats don't understand everything about the world we've created, doesn't mean they're stupid. Cats are really intelligent, and they remember. In her own world, she's remembering the threatening incident in her new environment, and repeating her ploy to seem tough and protect herself. She might even be picking up on your anxiety about being around her.
You should look at the possibility of her being up as another chance to work with her, and show her you (or your shoes, or your feet, or the new place,) are not a threat. Only by proving to her, over time, that she is safe and loved on her new home will she realize it is true. She will remember that too, if you continue to show it to her.
Okay something JUST happened. She is out in the kitchen which has become her new routine. She loves to lay on the kitchen floor at night. I had to go in there to put my cup in the sink. I walked past her spread out body with confidence. But when I was at the sink she actually ran into the living room and hid behind a box. I just walked right by her (well I actually went a little farther away) but I walked by without paying much attention to her. No hissing or growling thank God. I went into the bathroom, secretly hoping she would not be outside the door waiting for me and she was not. I hope she see's these moments as me walking by her with no issue as I am not a threat to her and she can be more comfortable. I hate that both she and I are uncomfortable now.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you read through some of the articles at TCS about stressed cats and stressed people? Sometimes the interplay between the two is the issue and if you can calm yourself down, or do things to decrease your own worry and tension, it might help her relax more, too.
You, Your Cat And Stress
Cat Aggression Toward People

:crossfingers:

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws beat me to it.
Your emotions are something she can pick up on through body language and hormones! If you're constantly afraid of her and putting out that you're scared, she's in a new place with someone she thinks is familiar but is acting nervous and scared. She's probably just as confused as you!!

You have been with this cat for 3 years and she hasn't attacked you yet. Even out of all of the times she's hissed and growled. She has not once hurt you. That should tell you that it's okay to be confident around her. She's still your old bud! Try acting like it to her and it will probably make her feel better too.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Time is your friend here. I have had a cat take months to forgive me for taking him on a 7 hour car ride. He was a new kitten, and I had no idea he was so terrified of cars! It all worked out in the end and he became a great buddy.

Be calm and patient. The poor little thing is frightened and it will take a while for her to become calm again. Instead of feeling fear when you look at her, remember how much you love her and how sweet she was before the move. I think in time she will become that cat again.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Time is your friend here. I have had a cat take months to forgive me for taking him on a 7 hour car ride. He was a new kitten, and I had no idea he was so terrified of cars! It all worked out in the end and he became a great buddy.

Be calm and patient. The poor little thing is frightened and it will take a while for her to become calm again. Instead of feeling fear when you look at her, remember how much you love her and how sweet she was before the move. I think in time she will become that cat again.
I think what I’ll do here is be more confident around her and basically ignore her hissed and growls. Of course I’ll give her space but I’ll just act as if she’s not there doing this. It’s just hard something because for example this morning she was in the window and I needed my shoe which was right by her and she was hissing and of course I was afraid to get it. Just hoping tomorrow I won’t wxperience any hissing at all. I purchased her a diffuser which is supposed to help her with her stress. Seriously can not wait for it to come in the mail.

SweetLilly123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not bring her to a shelter just because she's having an extended reaction after being frightened. It's only been a day, and she's not trying to hurt you -- she's just scared.

Think about how terrified she would be in a shelter, without you or anything else she knows, when simply adjusting to a new apartment has been difficult for her.

She will calm down. Give her love, and leave her in her safe space when she wants to be there, but keep talking to her in a soothing voice. If you act like something is wrong, she'll sense that too.
:yeah: :clap::salam::clap2::grouphug: