Cat Hisses At My Dad And Guests

Grochen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , my cat is 4.5 month old she was fine with guests like a month ago but now she hisses at everyone that isn't me or my mom. I don't really care about guests but hissing at my dad is a huge issue.

Because of his work my dad travels around she only saw him when was very little like she was 1.5 months old so she may have forgotten him.

Problem is my dad isn't trying to anything to her. She doesn't even try to pet her. She just goes near my dad when he is doing something like packing up his bag and starts hissing him. She is not cornered or anything.

My dad tried to give her some food last night (I thought it might help) but she hissed at him , she didn't even look at the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grochen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi , my cat is 4.5 month old she was fine with guests like a month ago but now she hisses at everyone that isn't me or my mom. I don't really care about guests but hissing at my dad is a huge issue.

Because of his work my dad travels around she only saw him when was very little like she was 1.5 months old so she may have forgotten him.

Problem is my dad isn't trying to anything to her. She doesn't even try to pet her. She just goes near my dad when he is doing something like packing up his bag and starts hissing him. She is not cornered or anything.

My dad tried to give her some food last night (I thought it might help) but she hissed at him , she didn't even look at the food.
How can I prevent this ? She doesn't need to love him if she just stop hissing and attacking it would be fine

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First question is: are we going to work on cat + your dad or cat + guests. Lets see if we have a choice -- what is your dad's upcoming travel schedule like? Now that he is home, what are his hours in the house?

When my kids were younger they used to have friends over and the cats go friendly with them. Now that they are older, they play on the internet or go out places, they don't have kids over. And we don't entertain in our home very often. So our cats can be shy with guests -- same cats. This sort of change is normal...training a cat to like guests isn't a one time thing, they can sometimes forget the skill if it isn't used. So, do you have people over often? How long do they stay?

With either guests or dad, depending on what we are working on, the key is patience, gentleness and treats. Have the guests/dad hang out as near the cat as possible. If calling the cat with treats works, great, if not, just throw a treat and sit down as near the cat as possible and talk quietly, watch tv or phone. Can also try a toy, but don't force interaction. Dad/guests should not pick up the cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible your dad accidentally stepped on her tail? There is a reason my boys only like shoeless people ;) (one workman stepped on one cat's tail and they both seem afraid of work boots.)

Is she trying to play with your dad or guarding her territory? Both can be worked on/trained but they might need different approaches.

As for guests. First find the treat she loves and will go out of her way for. Second stop giving her treats. Third have guests or you sitting near guests give her treats every time guests come over. It is a process. You can reward 30 feet away, then 20, then 10. It takes time and repition. If every time guests come over she gets a treat and they let her come to them for pets, she will be friendlier in no time.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before my partner retired she'd be out of the house for 9 hrs and Sqeeker would hide from her. Over the weekend He'd relax some but Monday it was back to Stranger Danger.

Get your Dad some "Kitty" t-shirts to wear and leave for kitty to play with to keep his scent in the house. I don't know if it will work but worth a try.

I once had a cat that was very attached to me so I'd record me singing her relax song (I have a terrible voice) and my partner would play it for her a few times a day when I went to my Moms. Record your Dad talking to kitty using her name and play it a few times for kitty so when he comes home she's familiar with his voice.

Good Luck

Grochen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First question is: are we going to work on cat + your dad or cat + guests. Lets see if we have a choice -- what is your dad's upcoming travel schedule like? Now that he is home, what are his hours in the house?

When my kids were younger they used to have friends over and the cats go friendly with them. Now that they are older, they play on the internet or go out places, they don't have kids over. And we don't entertain in our home very often. So our cats can be shy with guests -- same cats. This sort of change is normal...training a cat to like guests isn't a one time thing, they can sometimes forget the skill if it isn't used. So, do you have people over often? How long do they stay?

With either guests or dad, depending on what we are working on, the key is patience, gentleness and treats. Have the guests/dad hang out as near the cat as possible. If calling the cat with treats works, great, if not, just throw a treat and sit down as near the cat as possible and talk quietly, watch tv or phone. Can also try a toy, but don't force interaction. Dad/guests should not pick up the cat.
Guests are not that important. I don't have much guests but hissing at my dad has to stop. Bad news is dad's schedule is extremely unpredictable. Because of his work sometimes he stays for 3-4 weeks sometimes a few days.

If she hisses him when my dad is near her I'm okay with that but she is borderline chasing him. When he tries to pack out his staff she comes and hisses at him , doesn't let him pick anything.

Grochen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible your dad accidentally stepped on her tail? There is a reason my boys only like shoeless people ;) (one workman stepped on one cat's tail and they both seem afraid of work boots.)

Is she trying to play with your dad or guarding her territory? Both can be worked on/trained but they might need different approaches.

As for guests. First find the treat she loves and will go out of her way for. Second stop giving her treats. Third have guests or you sitting near guests give her treats every time guests come over. It is a process. You can reward 30 feet away, then 20, then 10. It takes time and repition. If every time guests come over she gets a treat and they let her come to them for pets, she will be friendlier in no time.
She is definitely protecting her territory. I see her hissing her toys a few times but they weren't scary like this. She hisses and hit him when my dad , for example, tried to reach out a glass.

She started this immediately after he came home there wasn't even enough time for him to step on her leg :(

Thanks a lot for answers

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert but I read that if person looks away from cat and gentle pets cat with no eye contact they feel less threatened. After a few days maybe kitty will stop hissing?