Cat Hiding After Moving

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sophie and I just moved to New York. It’s been a difficult and stressful process for both of us. I just brought her home from boarding (the last few days were just too chaotic). Since she did so well adjusting when I adopted her, i made the mistake to let her out freely. It started out well and she tentatively went around the studio, came to me for some pets and then got freaked out by a loud noise in the hallway. She ran under the bed and has no been seen yet. It is New York so everything is loud. I should have taken that into consideration before opening the carrier. What’s done is done now.
My question is do I just leave her be or should I try to coax her out through play or food? Should I leave the apt a bit and let her investigate or stay with her? She just arrived so I’m hoping she’ll settle quickly-ish but when should I start to worry?
Between the honks, ambulance sirens, loud old fridge and wall AC unit and elevator doors ringing all the time, the poor thing must be terrorized. :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It is natural and normal for a cat to behave this way as new sights and sounds often freak them out.

Leave her familiar scents like her towel, blanket and toys and your clean unwashed garment and place them where she is now and maybe just around the room and around the house do that the scents will overcome her fear of the new surroundings. Also, keep talking to her and reassuring her that everything is ok and it’s just some sounds.

Make your presence felt by hanging around her and try coaxing her out with a toy. If she doesn’t come out it’s ok as long as she knows that you are there and have not abandoned her.

Make sure that her litter box and litter are still the same ones she used before and place her food near her and if she’s hungry a, she’ll come out to eat.

Just give her time and she’ll get use yo the new surroundings and sights and sounds. She may still hide but st least she has s safe place to go when she’s freaked out.

Once she’s out, carry her and bring her around the house and let her sniff the things around her so that she knows that the things are not s threat to her. One trick is after you pet her or carried her, rub your hands over all the stuffs to transfer her scent over. This is what I do when I have a new bag or something that looks intimidating to my boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just came out for a minute or so. Scratched her old scratching post, explored the bed, window and climbed on her tree. Went right back under the bed when the darn old fridge kicked in. Her favorite blanket is under the bed with her and I’ll put my stuff all around the place. I did throw her old litter as it was gross (didn’t time that well) but I didn’t scrub the box so she should still pick up her scent hopefully.
She’s not always a fan of being carried, it depends on her mood! Lol so I won’t push that but I am talking to her and in the room. She won’t play though. Patience....
It is natural and normal for a cat to behave this way as new sights and sounds often freak them out.

Leave her familiar scents like her towel, blanket and toys and your clean unwashed garment and place them where she is now and maybe just around the room and around the house do that the scents will overcome her fear of the new surroundings. Also, keep talking to her and reassuring her that everything is ok and it’s just some sounds.

Make your presence felt by hanging around her and try coaxing her out with a toy. If she doesn’t come out it’s ok as long as she knows that you are there and have not abandoned her.

Make sure that her litter box and litter are still the same ones she used before and place her food near her and if she’s hungry a, she’ll come out to eat.

Just give her time and she’ll get use yo the new surroundings and sights and sounds. She may still hide but st least she has s safe place to go when she’s freaked out.

Once she’s out, carry her and bring her around the house and let her sniff the things around her so that she knows that the things are not s threat to her. One trick is after you pet her or carried her, rub your hands over all the stuffs to transfer her scent over. This is what I do when I have a new bag or something that looks intimidating to my boy.

Attachments

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love some tv too but I don’t have cable yet! Lol
And, in addition to all of the good advise tabbytom tabbytom has given you, try some soft music to help drown out some of the outside noises. Or, even TV or videos should she like those.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So looks like she’s pretty good as she used her scratch post, did a little exploring and climbed on her cat tree. You both are doing great :clapcat:

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was tempted to make a smart aleck comment in response to your thread title like "Its getting hot after sun coming up." Which, in addition to amusing myself, would have served the legitimate purpose of reinforcing the point I was going to make about your not needing to worry because your cat was behaving in the normal expected way. Now that others have eloquently made that point already . . . what am I doing here again? *&^! it, where is my walker! Is it dinner time yet?!

So yeah, don't worry, be happy! New place, high rent, many food options even at 3 am. Congrats, you are a New Yorker!

P.S. I'll bet you a round of drinks that your cat gets used to the sirens before you do :) Lived above York avenue in NYC for a while myself and . . . it was not easy! But its a life experience, that will make you richer . . . in life experience. Poorer in $ given the probable rent and possibly poorer in sleep till your brain rewires so that siren = lullaby, but still.

Last edited:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha!! Thanks. That made me laugh!
I am very excited to be here but I think the sirens won’t be an issue..... the ancient AC unit and loudest fridge fan ever however.... now that’s going to take me a while!

I was tempted to make a smart aleck comment in response to your thread title like "Its getting hot after sun coming up." Which, in addition to amusing myself, would have served the legitimate purpose of reinforcing the point I was going to make about your not needing to worry because your cat was behaving in the normal expected way. Now that others have eloquently made that point already . . . what am I doing here again? *&^! it, where is my walker! Is it dinner time yet?!

So yeah, don't worry, be happy! New place, high rent, many food options even at 3 am. Congrats, you are a New Yorker!

P.S. I'll bet you a round of drinks that your cat gets used to the sirens before you do :) Lived above York avenue in NYC for a while myself and . . . it was not easy! But its a life experience, that will make you richer . . . in life experience. Poorer in $ given the probable rent and possibly poorer in sleep till your brain rewires so that siren = lullaby, but still.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so she’s been out and about exploring (and is much more affectionate than usual, I think my presence reassured her) but she runs under the couch (not thrilled about that as it is a tiny crawling space and I am worried she’ll get stuck or hurt or damage the new couch). People in the hall and noises from the upstairs neighbor are what scares her the most. I hope she’ll get used to that. My worry is that she has not used the box yet. She has seen it and probably went in it as I heard the sound of her stepping on it last night, but nothing. I worry she is going to go somewhere else. She hasn’t eaten much since arriving and I don’t know how much she ate at boarding before I pick her up.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As long as she knows that the house is her safe place, it's ok to have place to take cover which is very natural.

Once the sounds have past, she'll come out and she might be affectionate and you just give her hugs and assurance and talk to her and tell her no more sounds and everything is ok.

What you can do is place extra litter boxes for her. The one she has now may be too far from her as she may be have the phobia going there because of the sounds she heard. So by placing one nearer to her away from her food is to help her use the litter box and not pee elsewhere as she won't be able to hold her pee that long and it's not good holding pee for a long time.

Once she's more settle down, she should continue with her normal routine. Just make sure she gets to eat and drink even if she have a litter which is better than none.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try some baby meat foods (no additives like onions, etc.) just to see if that would entice her to eat. I have never tried it but have heard that using a paper plate, instead of a food bowl, will help to encourage a cat to eat. So, maybe place some of the baby food on it? Also, consider trying some water from a can of tuna or chicken to see if that might help with her drinking as well.

Would it be possible to try and create a hiding space for her that doesn't involve the couch? Maybe a relatively small cardboard box with some clothing/bedding materials with her smell on them?

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved the litter box to the main living area (it’s a studio so the good news is she doesn’t have to go far!) She just went. You were probably right, it was originally in the small dressing room, right by the main door where all the noises come from. I’ll leave it there until she gets better used to the noises. She seems to be getting better with upstairs noises and the fridge. She is very intrigued by the window and the awesome city views from the 28th floor! I have someone coming in to measure for screens so that I can open the windows when I am in the apt. She is super good with screens and will love that. The hallway noises still freak her out and she growls and often runs to hide, but not always. Right now she is on the couch in her bed purring away ( could be nervous purring, but she is out and about)
Thank you for the advice for the box. It’ll stay here and then i’ll Gradually move it to its final place.
As long as she knows that the house is her safe place, it's ok to have place to take cover which is very natural.

Once the sounds have past, she'll come out and she might be affectionate and you just give her hugs and assurance and talk to her and tell her no more sounds and everything is ok.

What you can do is place extra litter boxes for her. The one she has now may be too far from her as she may be have the phobia going there because of the sounds she heard. So by placing one nearer to her away from her food is to help her use the litter box and not pee elsewhere as she won't be able to hold her pee that long and it's not good holding pee for a long time.

Once she's more settle down, she should continue with her normal routine. Just make sure she gets to eat and drink even if she have a litter which is better than none.

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for the advice for the box. It’ll stay here and then i’ll Gradually move it to its final place.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

She'll get used to the noise though at times will still freak her out and she'll be weary but as I mentioned, it's ok because she knows it's her home and she knows where her safe place is.

My boy is the same, once he hears loud noises, he'll start to move away and at times retreat to his hiding spot which is under the bed or in a large box in another room and soot es I can't even find him when he's hiding :lol: After the noise has settled, he'll come out and start to complain :lol:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She’s slowly getting used to the nous but she is not eating much at all. She’s also not playful, which is so not like her. I am trying to entice her with treats, which she eats, but she barely touches the dry food (she’s not a big fan of it anyway but it’s prescription food as she has digestion issues). She’ll eat more of the wet, but not her normal portion.
Should I try to give her something else?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Give her time as the new place is overwhelming for her and she is still adjusting.

As long as she's eating (wet food is good), play a little and going to the litter box and exploring, I would not worry so much but just keep watch on her.

She might not eat at all if she's given something else. Stick with the wet food that she's eating.