Cat Health Never Improves

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J Jellyguy Welcome to the cat site. I'm so sorry that this is what brings you here.

I agree with everyone that the cat really needs vet care.

I don't know where you live but... here is a list (USA), towards the bottom, by state for places where you might be able to get help with those bills:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Would you mind telling us what the cat is eating? What food types and how much etc?

XOXOXOXOX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jellyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi jellyguy and welcome to the forum !

Baby really does need some competent care. I don't mean to 'dis' this Vet, especially since he helped with your other cat....but, he's just not getting to the root of things this time.

Would you be able to post your general location (town/city & state) ?

Sometimes there are places that can help.......if we don't ask, we'll never find out.
Staten Island, New York, also sorry for the late replies! I didnt get any alerts in my email :(

Jellyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What tests have been done on your cat? Are all values normal on a comprehensive blood test? Has your cat been tested for coccidia?
I do not believe she was tested for coccidia, but I'm not entirely sure about this. I believe that the blood test came back with her having some sort of maybe vitamin or protein deficiency.

Jellyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please note I'm not 100% right now on those blood test results. Additionally, her full body spasms seem to have up'd frequency. What happens here is all four of her legs fully extend out momentarily and she falls over, which she then attempts to scramble to her feet and continuously scramble to stand basically. I am sitting with her usually late at night so I'm able to help for the most part and calm her down.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
J Jellyguy Welcome to the cat site. I'm so sorry that this is what brings you here.

I agree with everyone that the cat really needs vet care.

I don't know where you live but... here is a list (USA), towards the bottom, by state for places where you might be able to get help with those bills:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Would you mind telling us what the cat is eating? What food types and how much etc?

XOXOXOXOX
I totally agree also..the kitty needs a VET ASAP.

:hellocomputer::please::catrub::petcat::yeah:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Please note I'm not 100% right now on those blood test results. Additionally, her full body spasms seem to have up'd frequency. What happens here is all four of her legs fully extend out momentarily and she falls over, which she then attempts to scramble to her feet and continuously scramble to stand basically. I am sitting with her usually late at night so I'm able to help for the most part and calm her down.
Im so sorry for ure kitty havn these issues..n for u ..But PLEASE..find some way..some how..and get this sweet precious life to a VET...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a cat with hyperesthesia who looks very healthy and exhibits none of the signs that you describe. Hyperesthesia is not the bottom line to this and while I completely get that vet bills can be frightening I do agree with everyone who is encouraging you to find a way to a second opinion.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This to me sounds like maybe some kind of seizure activity. Does she seem aware of what's going on around her when this happens, or does she zone out? A good vet should be able to help you out on this one, to determine if it's epilepsy or something else caused by the protein/vitamin deficiency you mentioned earlier.
If she scrambles, make sure you clear the area she's in of anything she could bump into and get hurt on (end tables with lamps or plants on them that could fall on her, or anything she could bump her head on) and for now, until you know what's going on, don't attempt to hold or restrain her during these episodes, or keep her from scrambling. Keep the area clear, stay with her, talk to her and keep note on when it happens and how long it lasts. The vet will be happy to have this information, it will help.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there's been much speculation on a possible diagnosis for this cat....

Just from Baby's appearance alone, it's pretty clear to me that this is perfectly curable but advanced skin disease, most likely a form of mange. The history you provided would also suggest the same.

The treatment is 'simple' but would also require exact diagnosis via skin scraping/pathology, the appropriate drug and time. Cats with mange look just awful at diagnosis and perfect after appropriate treatment.

I think her behaviour is 'simply' a reaction to this - it must be 'driving her crazy'.

J Jellyguy - where are you at regarding finding a competent Veterinarian? Is money the problem with moving ahead? (I will say that your last set of posts sounded very different - more optimistic, but still vague - from the first few....?)

If you are prepared to have her seen, it would be best to look around for a cat-only Veterinarian.

If this is still 'off the table', then please say so, so that we could look at other options. This has gone on far too long already.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please think about a second opinion. the vet diagnosed my dog as having anxiety and treated her for it. The treatment cured nothing. another vet realized she had bad arthritis. this meant she got the right treatment and the last month of her life was comfortable. Don't make the mistake I did, get another opinion right now.

No matter how good they are, sometimes a vet or an MD will get an idea into their
heads about a patient and they can't see beyond that one idea.

Jellyguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there's been much speculation on a possible diagnosis for this cat....

Just from Baby's appearance alone, it's pretty clear to me that this is perfectly curable but advanced skin disease, most likely a form of mange. The history you provided would also suggest the same.

The treatment is 'simple' but would also require exact diagnosis via skin scraping/pathology, the appropriate drug and time. Cats with mange look just awful at diagnosis and perfect after appropriate treatment.

I think her behaviour is 'simply' a reaction to this - it must be 'driving her crazy'.

J Jellyguy - where are you at regarding finding a competent Veterinarian? Is money the problem with moving ahead? (I will say that your last set of posts sounded very different - more optimistic, but still vague - from the first few....?)

If you are prepared to have her seen, it would be best to look around for a cat-only Veterinarian.

If this is still 'off the table', then please say so, so that we could look at other options. This has gone on far too long already.
Thank you for your response! I believe taking her to the vet is in the works very soon, hopefully it is a new one! Regardless, I will be pushing for them to test for a mange or other skin condition. I will keep you all updated on this! Here's hoping all goes well :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that she is going to see another vet, and soon!!

Don't forget - in case the vet doesn't suggest it - to ask why full spectrum of blood tests - CBC, Chemistry Profile (enzyme and electrolyte levels) wouldn't also be in order. This might go beyond just mange and/or a skin condition.

Thanks for telling us you will keep us posted!! Feeby has her paws crossed for Baby!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! I believe taking her to the vet is in the works very soon, hopefully it is a new one! Regardless, I will be pushing for them to test for a mange or other skin condition. I will keep you all updated on this! Here's hoping all goes well :)
Can u tell us how soon? Everyone here is worried about the kitty....Really it needs to be like yesterday...ASAP

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you’ll figure out what’s wrong. And let us know here when u do. You’re kitty’s skin and nails look really bizarre. And the behavior. I can’t help but wonder if they’re unrelated. What would manifest externally and cause the fur to be that way and the claws to grow like that but also cause spasms. Hopefully someone can give u answers soon. He must be suffering from this.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Warning Signs of Feline Urinary Tract Infections
  • Straining to urinate: Feline idiopathic cystitis can lead to straining while urinating, and can eventually lead to more severe situations such as the formation of bladder stones or a urethral plug. Male cats are more at risk to develop a urethral plug; this is a life-threatening condition that causes a cat to lose the ability to urinate.
  • Frequent attempts to urinate: Cats with FLUTD have a frequent urge to urinate, but can only pass a small amount each time.

• Painful urination: If your cat cries out while urinating, this is a tell-tale sign that she may be in pain.
  • Blood in urine
  • Licking the genital or abdominal areas: This is a way for cats to soothe the pain of a urinary tract disease.
  • Irritability
  • Urinating Outside the Litter Box: Take note if your cat is urinating in places other than litter box, especially on cool surfaces like tile or a bathtub.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is Painful and Frequent Urination? Painful and frequent urination can have a variety of causes from infections in the bladder to complications in the genitals. When you notice the signs of frequent urination with discomfort, it is important to contact a veterinarian for an evaluation. Difficult or painful urination is commonly referred to as dysuria. It can be demonstrated by your cat exhibiting signs of discomfort while urinating, straining to go, or even by frequent urination. Frequent urination, otherwise known as pollakiuria, can sometimes be difficult to identify, as some cats may normally urinate more or less than others. It is important to understand what is normal for your cat, just as it is important to discern the difference of discomfort while urinating versus signs of constipation. Symptoms of Painful and Frequent Urination in Cats The signs of both painful and frequent urination can sometimes be tough to separate from other conditions, such as constipation. The list below should aid in determining whether or not your cat may be suffering from dysuria and pollakiuria: Straining to urinate/signs of pain Blood in urine Passing only a small amount of urine Unproductive urination (e.g. failure to urinate) Signs of illness (e.g. fever, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea) Inappropriate urinating (e.g. accidents around the house)

Read more at: Painful and Frequent Urination in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost