Cat Has Wet Butt After Peeing

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed recently that sometimes my male cat Benny has a wet butt and back legs after peeing! He uses the litter box fine and doesn't seem to be in pain when he uses it. No blood from what I've seen. He's a medium length haired cat and I give him a trim on his butt but he still gets wet after peeing. My 3 cats all use the litter robot III and he's the only one doing this! He's 13 pounds but not fat and is active. Anyone else ever have this issue?? I just think it's so strange and of course I don't like having to wipe his back legs.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. I’m wondering if he is the only male. I’m thinking that there may be some bounce back as the per hits the wall of the litter bot. I’m not sure exactly what your looks like. I have a couple of males who aim high and others who aim low. Low pee can hit a wall, high can go over, depending on the type of box. One box has a lid and I have gotten ricochet. Any chance of this? Males can still spray so there is a good chance of wetness. Any strong odors? Is the urine a good color? The way you trim the fur may, or may not help. If the pee catches a strand of fur it can still trickle down. I think the chance of a hard spray is possible. Any strays hanging around your house to make him want to mark things? Any arguing over things inside with the other kitties? Lots of things can make them start to respect after not doing it for a long time. I have one out of all of these who just takes a notion sometimes! Drives me crazy. I’ve had him checked many, many times but it seems to be a demand for a top spot in the household. I give him tons of extra attention and he stops. :dunno: Kitty attitude.

Nursemike3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat always had a wet butt or a poopy butt. She was all stained up when I adopted her. The vet told me to shave her butt since she won't clean it. It totally worked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Great point! Can't believe I didn't think of that. Feel kinda dumb lol. I thought I knew about cats! The globe could be bigger in my opinion.
Jcatbird Jcatbird we have another male in the apartment. The litter robot is basically a big globe. There is some odor but not too bad I think? I really don't know how to judge though.
ItsMaryann ItsMaryann Nursemike3 Nursemike3 Thank god I'm not the only one!! I'm a little relieved lol.
Tobermory Tobermory Benny's my youngest at 4 years. I hope it's not arthritis! He's a little calmer than a year ago but still active and gets his crazies.

After reading everyone's helpful responses and thinking about it I think it really is because of the litter robot globe. Sometimes Benny gets litter on his head from the roof so the robot III might not be big enough for him. It's their biggest model so far but I honestly always thought it could be a little bigger. And also Benny is odd. When we didn't have the litter robot and had an uncovered box he would sometimes put his front paws on the sides for leverage and kind of stand and pee lol...And now that I think about it he does also squat pretty low sometimes too. I recall that from back when I put a spoon under his butt to catch his pee to measure his urine specific gravity. Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm just relieved it's probably not too serious. Phew.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've noticed recently that sometimes my male cat Benny has a wet butt and back legs after peeing! He uses the litter box fine and doesn't seem to be in pain when he uses it.
Is he peeing a lot? If he does, most likely is that the litter cannot absorb all the pee in time and it forms a puddle and therefore Benny gets his hind legs and butt wet.

My boy gets his leg and sometimes both legs soaked in the pee because sometimes he pees a lot and his bum and back of his thighs are soaked with pee. His litter is 4 inches deep and he digs a hole before he pees but he still get soaked feet if he pees a lot at one go.
When he pees normal amount it's ok.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he peeing a lot? If he does, most likely is that the litter cannot absorb all the pee in time and it forms a puddle and therefore Benny gets his hind legs and butt wet.

My boy gets his leg and sometimes both legs soaked in the pee because sometimes he pees a lot and his bum and back of his thighs are soaked with pee. His litter is 4 inches deep and he digs a hole before he pees but he still get soaked feet if he pees a lot at one go.
You're so right too! He does pee a lot. Same with the other cats. I'm all about moisture and kidney health so sometimes his food turns out soupy or like porridge because I add extra water. Plus the robot III is a little shallower so I should probably refill the litter more often.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, if they drinks lots of water and if they hold their pee for too long, likely chance of a puddled pee and soaked feet.

I do give extra water to my boy too and he holds his pee longer than before when he was younger.

Yes, top up the litter but if Benny still pees a lot, he’ll still get soaked legs.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter on his head? :p Poor Benny! Maybe you should let the Litter Robot company know they need a bigger globe for our bigger kitties. I’ve seen pictures of those litter bots. I could really use a litter robot around here but some of my kitties might be too big. :lol: Of course even if the smaller ones used it, it would be a big help. I hope that you get the problem solved by just adding some more litter. Please keep posting and let us know.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter on his head? :p Poor Benny! Maybe you should let the Litter Robot company know they need a bigger globe for our bigger kitties. I’ve seen pictures of those litter bots. I could really use a litter robot around here but some of my kitties might be too big. :lol: Of course even if the smaller ones used it, it would be a big help. I hope that you get the problem solved by just adding some more litter. Please keep posting and let us know.
I actually did email them last night with a list of suggestions for the next one haha. I know, Benny doesn't mind but I do! My 10 pound girl is small and fits fine. And the boys would fit fine if they used it as suggested every time. If they stuck out their heads a little at the opening it would be okay but sometimes they don't.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl pees standing up, rather high on a wall (a bit like spraying), and I’m thinking, if Benny does the same, because of the shape of the litter box, the urine sort of goes back at him before it’s absorbed? I was considering the litter robot actually but I was told that it’s not good with cats that pee standing up. So maybe that’s your case?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl pees standing up, rather high on a wall (a bit like spraying), and I’m thinking, if Benny does the same, because of the shape of the litter box, the urine sort of goes back at him before it’s absorbed? I was considering the litter robot actually but I was told that it’s not good with cats that pee standing up. So maybe that’s your case?
He can't stand in the robot but he used to in an uncovered box. I'm thinking he's squatting low and probably has a lot of urine because of his diet.

Leo1986

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Does anyone have any suggestions for a litter that could absorb the pee faster? I’m having a similar problem with my 4 month old male kitten. I don’t exactly know how it happens, but he sometimes has a wet bum coming out of the litter box. He then comes right to me in bed and leaves stains on bed sheets. He also realizes this and starts pawing on the sheet and duvet cover as if he is digging around the urine spot or trying to cover it. It freaks me out when he paws the sheets and sniffs around the spot because I am afraid he might think my bed is a good place to pee.

I was using Naturally Fresh walnut based litter before, which had a lot of fines that would stick to his bum and made the stains gooey dark brown resembling poop. I’ve changed the litter to World’s Best Cat Litter. It doesn’t stick as much, but the wet spot issue has not changed. It just went from dark poop like wet stains to yellow-ish wet stains.

I now have a towel by my bed and every morning he jumps on my bed I make him sit on the towel first or I just wipe him. But I can’t catch him every time. I don’t think it happens every time he pees. Maybe when he has a full bladder. I was thinking to switch to a conventional clay based litter. Do those work better for cats who pee very close to the litter? I think my cat squats very close to the litter when he urinates without digging a hole.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any suggestions for a litter that could absorb the pee faster? I’m having a similar problem with my 4 month old male kitten. I don’t exactly know how it happens, but he sometimes has a wet bum coming out of the litter box. He then comes right to me in bed and leaves stains on bed sheets. He also realizes this and starts pawing on the sheet and duvet cover as if he is digging around the urine spot or trying to cover it. It freaks me out when he paws the sheets and sniffs around the spot because I am afraid he might think my bed is a good place to pee.

I was using Naturally Fresh walnut based litter before, which had a lot of fines that would stick to his bum and made the stains gooey dark brown resembling poop. I’ve changed the litter to World’s Best Cat Litter. It doesn’t stick as much, but the wet spot issue has not changed. It just went from dark poop like wet stains to yellow-ish wet stains.

I now have a towel by my bed and every morning he jumps on my bed I make him sit on the towel first or I just wipe him. But I can’t catch him every time. I don’t think it happens every time he pees. Maybe when he has a full bladder. I was thinking to switch to a conventional clay based litter. Do those work better for cats who pee very close to the litter? I think my cat squats very close to the litter when he urinates without digging a hole.
I’d suggest starting your own thread so you get more answers, but the Tidy Cats Breeze litter system works very well for my cats. The urine gets funnelled down through the pellets onto a pee pad, so your cat shouldn’t have much of a chance to get wet.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You might want to try clay litter. It honestly absorbs the best compared to all those natural type litters. I used to use the world's best cat litter until it broke my litter robot. Turns out it doesn't compare to clay for absorbing moisture!

Leo1986

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might want to try clay litter. It honestly absorbs the best compared to all those natural type litters. I used to use the world's best cat litter until it broke my litter robot. Turns out it doesn't compare to clay for absorbing moisture!
Can I ask which litter you switched to? I’ve only had him for 2 months and have never used clay litter before. I’ve heard good reviews about Arm&Hammer ones.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask which litter you switched to? I’ve only had him for 2 months and have never used clay litter before. I’ve heard good reviews about Arm&Hammer ones.
I use the Fresh Step Free & Gentle ones. I like it because it doesn't stick like cement!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I’d try Smart Cat grass litter. It has texture similar to clay but without its problems (dust). It does absorb litter fast, but you may also experiment with the amount of litter, adding too much/too little may affect absorbing urine.