Cat has suddenly stopped using litter box

Freya.Beatrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat lovers! Recently my dear cat Florence has started to urinate outside the litter box. This started to happen a year ago when I got her and then it stopped after we got another litter box (we have 3 since we have 2 cats) and also got a cat attract litter. All was going well with her beginning to use the litter box, there’s been the occasional going outside of the box only when the box is super dirty. Which isn’t a problem.

Upsettingly she has started to go out of the box again. At first I thought it was because the box was super dirty so I cleaned it up and made sure to add some more cat attract litter. Doing that didn’t help, for about a week now she’s been going right outside of the litter box. I’ve emptied the entire thing and cleaned it, I’ve also moved it closer into the open so she can see it better (it’s under a sink in a bathroom) and I’ve also cleaned the area that’s she’s been peeing in well.

Still no change. Any suggestions of what I can do?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d want to rule out medical cause first (UTI, crystals, cystitis), inappropriate urination, unlike defecation, is most commonly health-related.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I have to agree with Maurey Maurey about getting her checked out for a UTI through a urinalysis and perhaps even a urine culture. The urine culture is done to help identify the best antibiotics to treat an infection if it turns out she has one.

Let us know what you find out!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she checks out at the vet, let us know!

She sounds a little like one of my cats who always has had a tenuous relationship with the box. She did have some chronic cystitis, but even when she wasn't having a flare up, she would still urinate outside of the box.

Wondering if all of your boxes are in the bathroom? If so, that could be an issue. Also wondering how old she is, and if she could have any mobility issues?

Are the accidents always just right outside the litter box?

Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freya.Beatrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If things continue I will be getting her checked out by the vet. But at the moment I think it could be related to the cleanliness of the box. My other cat was having some issues with diarrhea (he’s got medicine now so he’s doing fine!) so I think that was what was putting her off.
Box is now very clean and I’ve cleaned the area where she was peeing a lot better and she did go in the box this morning!
She is also 3 so I don’t think it could be issues with mobility.
If anything changes I’ll keep everyone posted thank you for the help!
:)