cat has skin infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try cold chamomile tea as it's very soothing. I think it was Furballsmum who gave me that tip but as others have said, a skin scraping needs to be done. The fact it's happened so quickly does make me wonder if it's something he's coming in contact with, perhaps bedding that's been washed. I can't use any of the "high end" washing products such as Fairy because it makes my skin itch like it was on fire. Using Formil now (from Lidl) and no problems with that, it's cheap and does a better job than its more expensive counterparts. I'm in the UK so what we get here is probably different from what you get elsewhere. I really hope you can get to the bottom of the problem. He is a lovely looking cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was never on a heating pad, He was an outside cat

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If skin scraping wasn't conclusive, you can ask for folicular testing of the hair to see if it is a specific fungus with known treatment.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vancouver? This is something I discovered a while back and just looked it up to verify that its a thing - it’s a curveball and I’m going to sound like Dr House. There is something believe or not called Feline Winter Alopecia. During the winter months, we turn the indoor heating up fairly high, which reduces humidity. At the same time, the cold outdoor weather, harsh winds, rain and even shower steam strip skin of moisture. Cats lose natural oils, their skin drys out, gets itchy and leads to excessive scratching, sometimes it leads to dandruff. This started three months ago when the cold weather started to kick in and a heat pad would add to it. Dry skin wouldn’t be a result of an illness, it would be the cause.

Last edited:

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is severe hair loss.
The vet sold us some application for mites. will see if this helps

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was actually living outside when this started and the weather is extremely mild here . so that is not the issue , but a good call.

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he had oral amoxicillin prescription
then oral Itraconazole , one week on , on week off, then one week on, with the anti fungal shampoo.

Now we have applied an anti mite drops prescription, once every thirty days on the back of his neck.
This was done 4 days ago , and he has not improved or gotten any worse. We are just trying to keep him comfortable.
We have had cats over 70 years , never seen anything like this.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he had oral amoxicillin prescription
then oral Itraconazole , one week on , on week off, then one week on, with the anti fungal shampoo.

Now we have applied an anti mite drops prescription, once every thirty days on the back of his neck.
This was done 4 days ago , and he has not improved or gotten any worse. We are just trying to keep him comfortable.
We have had cats over 70 years , never seen anything like this.
I'm glad he's not getting any worse at least. How does he act otherwise?

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just eats and sleeps
nothing else
I think he must be in pain

Meemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
poor kitty.
Not sure if it has been suggested, but lyme sulphur dip is used on pets to clear non specific skin issues/broad spectrum.
Kills lice, mites, bacterial and fungal infections.
Smells terrible but I have recently used for ringworm on my kitty as a last resort and it was really effective. You can use a cloth with it on and let it dry naturally.
If you decide to give a go, maybe water down more than the general application suggested amount and test on a small area to make sure their poor skin is good with it, however my understanding is it rarely causes skin irritations, and when it does it has been used at too high a concentration. half a tea spoon in 200mls of water was all I used (twice a week at first then just once a week when she was nearly healed) and had no adverse reactions.

Hope your poor baby gets some answers from the vets soon.

Mr Dill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to put Mr D down as he was deteriorating .
Very hard thing to do ,and dreaded that day yesterday.
I don't think we will get any pets for a while . Thank you everyone for you comments and input!
Take care and enjoy your cats.
bye

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to put Mr D down as he was deteriorating .
Very hard thing to do ,and dreaded that day yesterday.
I don't think we will get any pets for a while . Thank you everyone for you comments and input!
Take care and enjoy your cats.
bye
I'm so very sorry. Sometimes there isn't any other option. We had a puppy years ago with a skin condition like this. The vets tried everything, even some smelly concoction that we had to rub all over him. Nothing worked. We had to put the little guy down. :hugs:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. When a cat passes on, we lock the thread out of respect. You are more than welcome to post a memorial to Mr D in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.