cat has scabs all over his body that are wet

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my cats has these scabs on his body that keep forming up started happening about a month ago or so i thought it was due t hard play fighting with my other cat but i know thats not the case now they kinda leak a clear puss color they mostly go down his spine and under his neck and sides of his face but not on his legs arms? maybe hes allergic to something?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat is having this health problem. I would suggest contacting your vet since from your description this sounds like it may require immediate attention. I'm honestly not sure if it's an allergy but I thought this Article on skin conditions in cats might have some helpful information for you: Skin Conditions In Cats

Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Kind of does sound like an allergy. How old is he? Does he go outside? Is he scratching the areas or licking them incessantly?

Anything new in his environment that would coincide with then the scabs appeared? I would be looking for any kind of changes that occurred around the time his problem started. Any food changes recently - although, a cat can become allergic to a food they have been eating for a long time.

With the clear seepage, it almost sounds like he is licking the areas and preventing them from scabbing over enough to heal. I am kind of surprised he hasn't already created an infection if that is what he is doing.

I don't think you really have much choice but to take him to a vet to be treated so the wounds can heal - perhaps with an antibiotic and maybe some topical solution for healing? It might even warrant a steroid shot to help with the healing, especially if the vet thinks this might be allergy related. Perhaps, the vet will want to take a skin scraping to see if some possible causes can be either ruled out or confirmed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is a flea allergy. It only takes 1 bite and they can break out. Some cats are just really sensitive. I would take him to the vet and get him on some flea prevention also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
made vet apt for thursday so ill find out then he has these scabs that leak not alot but if you moved back his fur u can see a tiny bit of liquid guessing its puss i helped scratch some of them off cause he was itching scratching them so hard he seems to be misrible cause hes in heaven when i lightly scratch them but i stoped cause i could be making it worse

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Kind of does sound like an allergy. How old is he? Does he go outside? Is he scratching the areas or licking them incessantly?

Anything new in his environment that would coincide with then the scabs appeared? I would be looking for any kind of changes that occurred around the time his problem started. Any food changes recently - although, a cat can become allergic to a food they have been eating for a long time.

With the clear seepage, it almost sounds like he is licking the areas and preventing them from scabbing over enough to heal. I am kind of surprised he hasn't already created an infection if that is what he is doing.

I don't think you really have much choice but to take him to a vet to be treated so the wounds can heal - perhaps with an antibiotic and maybe some topical solution for healing? It might even warrant a steroid shot to help with the healing, especially if the vet thinks this might be allergy related. Perhaps, the vet will want to take a skin scraping to see if some possible causes can be either ruled out or confirmed.
well about a month ago he got outside for an hour went under my apt building but i think he had already had them not sure tbh hes a strictly indoor cat he just turned 4 years old diets the same we thought it was due to him wrestling super hard with the other cat we have whos bigger but the other one would have them too we did have fleas 2 months back and he was full of them but we killed 99% of them he still has a few on him maybe 10 at max vet says they think he could be allergic to the flea bites?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it does turn out to be a flea allergy, you're going to have to make sure you treat your cats monthly for fleas in order completely get rid of them. I hope the vet can give him something to help treat his scabbing so he can get some relief!

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well i took him to vet he got a shot of steroids a flea treatment and antibiotic 2 shots and ever since i got him back home hes like super lethargic hes hiding put him on bed just now and he just fell down sideways lol its like he lost his balance or just so tired or something not sure the vet thinks he had an allergic reaction to flea bits when my house had fleas a month ago im really worried about his behavior right now does this sound very alarming?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi matt1991.

First, yes, it alarms me.

Look at your bills/receipts......
  • what is the name of the steroid injection ?
  • what is/are the name(s) of the antibiotic injection(s) ?
Keep him inside. Also, keep him somewhere where he can't injure himself (by falling etc.).

And, keep him warm as best you can. If he insists on hiding away, provide a box/area where he can feel as if he's hiding - create a space with blankets where he can snuggle and stay warm.