Cat has rice-shaped, but also long white worms in poop

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I have this semiferal cat that has returned from a leg injury and stays in my house during the day, and Im trying to potty train her to poop in the litter boxes rather than on the carpets, and today she did it again, but the poop was now light brown and watery, and I found these white/light yellowish strings in it, and some were moving. I believe they are tapeworms, but I can't be fully certain. My mom told me that she vomited in the morning while I was at work, so I know for sure that she has a parasite problem. I would like to know how to effectively treat this at home before my mom gets more upset at her :( thanks in advance

Mimi&LilB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First I am not a vet, so what I can say is from my research.Admins please feel free to delete If my response is not appropriate since I am not a professional. Tapeworm you will see some white things coming out of the butt looks like rice.They are pieces of the tapeworm and are mobile for a bit, they carry the eggs but they need to be eaten by a flea to continue the cycle. On my humble opinion sounds like there is more than tapeworm going on there. You could try a complete dewormer such as dontral plus but I heard that has a bitter taste. Centragard is a topical one, also complete dewormer.You may search for cat treats dewormers too. My feral had tapeworm and I gave her praziquantel,very specific and my cat doesn’t have fleas.Does your have fleas? If so you need to treat that to stop the cycle. Feral cats can also get tapeworm from eating contaminated pray.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the whole worms that come out are roundworms. Tapeworms are visible as rice-like segments around the anus, although occasionally one will be vomited up. A good de-wormer will take care of both of them, ask your vet for some Drontal (or local equivalent).

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would get Profender from Bayer. It's the only spot-on treatment I know that also treats tapeworms in additon to roundworms and hookworms. Or, Stronghold or Revolution so it will also take care of fleas, ticks and ear mites, AND a pill for tapeworms but if the cat is semi-feral I think a vet might be needed to give the pill. I would personally give minimum 3-4 days between Stronghold and the dewormer pill.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First check with your vet to see if she was treated already at the vets, they often are when they go in. If not, get Profender like said above, it kills all kinds. Make sure you apply it high up on the neck almost between the ears. If she twists and licks some off that is applied too low, it will cause distress and foaming at the mouth. You could ask your vet for a prescription noted on your chart, then order it online, from a site like PetMeds or Foster Smiths. It is MUCH cheaper online. if you get pills, make sure they take care of tapeworms, break them up to make them smaller and put them in tuna juice and a tiny bit of tuna, cats usually eat them right up then. a little amount at first and give the rest later, you want to make sure the pills are eaten.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitty needs a dewormer, please contact a vet or at the least do a video/teledoc visit to show the vet. It wont go away on its own.

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had the exact same-looking kind of worms with diarhea problems and vet said it was roundworms!