Cat has crusty ears,circular bald and flaky spot, bumpy nose

Bbilton1028

BB
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 month old cat was neutered on the 14th and has been having issues with his skin ever since. He has a vet appointment next week but I wanted to get suggestions in the meantime. I'll attach pictures as well.

So currently my cat has a bald circular patch on his front leg. It is really dry and flaky but only that leg. It was just a small spot when he came home from being neutered and I thought it could have been from the iv anesthesia. He had a cone on for a week but it get bigger and is where it's at now. I thought it was maybe anxiety because we have another cay who he was separated from while he was healing but he also couldn't lick it.

One of his ears is red, mostly no fur and has scabs. The other has fur and yellowish scabs. He also has bumps that look similar to the others on his nose. He acts normal and eats normal and only licks it during regular grooming.

I initially thought Ringworm but neither my hansband and I nor the other cat have it. I'm really worried that it might be sunburn since he does like laying in the sun but he's indoor only so he doesn't sunbathe for long. He's also a nervous cat so I thought that could be it but it hasn't gotten any better.

I know that no one can tell except the vet, but any suggestions of what it might be or even that I might moisten his skin until vet time? I tried to include the progression of the spot and his ear and nose.

Attachments

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A feline skin condition can be a bit of a challenge. The pictures show a combination of dermatitis and over grooming, which doesn’t really help that much because finding the reason behind them is the hard part. Was he wearing a cone 100% for the time the Vet recommended? Most owners (including me) have been guilty of taking them off for spells - Let the Vet know just so he/she can add it to the equation. Is there any change in food, kitty litter or home grooming products?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbilton1028

BB
Kitten
Purraise
We let him have it off when we got home from. Work each day but we watched him so he didn't lick. He started to lick a lot after we got him and his brother in January and I changed him to grain free food because I thought it was a food allergy and I couldn't get rid of his diarreha which he doesn't have now. No changes to litter or other things.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We let him have it off when we got home from. Work each day but we watched him so he didn't lick. He started to lick a lot after we got him and his brother in January and I changed him to grain free food because I thought it was a food allergy and I couldn't get rid of his diarreha which he doesn't have now. No changes to litter or other things.
Having a second cat can be extremely stressful for some cats.
I found an article for you on over grooming and stress. It may help in your Vets consultation
Reasons Why Cats Overgroom and How to Stop It

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbilton1028

BB
Kitten
Purraise
I know some cats take well to adjust to others, he and his brother were in a shelter with other cats so I don't think it would be that. It could be the procedure in general or the fact that he was separated from his brother for a week and couldn't play with him (they're from the same litter and a bonded pair). He is due for another dose of his Revolt medicine this Tuesday so I'm hoping that there are some improvements before we go to the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he have an IV where that spot is? It could be an allergy to whatever held it in place, latex. etc. you could try some Cortizone cream on it. it won't hurt him to lick it off, but try to discourage him until some soaks in,. If not, try a human allergy med in the correct dose, for a while and see if that helps. Benadryl is good but is really nasty tasting (makes them foam at the mouth), I had to give it for a bee sting), so you might try Allegra or Claritin or something else. Call your vet and get the right dose and see what they think.