Cat has been hiding in the ceiling for a month after moving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw her again last night hanging out on the top of the stairs, watching me on the couch. Again, i realized she was there because Noodle was growling at her. I just wish she would be more tolerant especially with 3x the space they had before. I am sure Noodle is slowing things down by growling her away whenever she comes around .... sigh.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Were you/are you able to distract Noodle? You're right, she's willing to come out except for Noodle.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did distract Noodle but when she saw that I saw her she went back upstairs anyway.

I think shes really only a little discouraged by her... in the past she would flat out ignore Noodle until Noodle left or retreated when her growls werent listened to, or if she finally had enough of it would swat at her after being growled at unprovoked for 5 minutes. and then Noodle would leave. Generally Bonnie wouldnt growl or hiss back but would stand her ground and her right to be there. IE just continue hanging out and not leave. We've had Bonnie for 10 months now. Tried a lot of different things but Noodle just hates sharing space with her, though she never attacks, just growls, hisses, and retreats. Bonnie gives her what I think is good cat body language, she sits down, looks away, gives her blinks even. She acts like she's indifferent to Noodle and clearly doesnt mind being in the same space. Its Noodle that wont give it up...

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had some progress this weekend :)

first we had a kitty on the stairs, watching us in the living room. Noodle was being growly again so I put her in the basement and coaxed Bonnie down with her favorite toy. It wasnt hard. Then we played on the stairs for a while and I gave her treats and she came over and headbutted my hand and I FINALLY got to pet my little kitty again!

Eventually I let Noodle back up and she went and sat in her cat tree and was a good girl with only a little growling.

I really missed Bonnie so much. She is so quiet and she has this akward way of being pet where she really is more petting us, she just rubs her head into your hand and does it over and over again walking back and forth. But not in the usual fluid way cats do she just bops her head hard into your hand and lets you rub it for awhile and then awkwardly backs up and does it again.. hard to describe. But she is a cutie. Sorry for the blurry pics... Im not good at taking them

Attachments

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm SO happy for you both!!
This absolutely made my day, and thank you very much for the pictures :heartshape:
Thank you!! I appreciate it. And I am very happy :) She has come down to say hi the last 2 nights as well so I think its a downhill climb from here. :) She has reverted back to a lot of her old scaredy behaviors but I think eventually they will go away like when we first got her.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you. I live with a scardy cat and anything out of the ordinary sends her into hiding. I just accept her for who she is and rejoice when she is feeling brave.
Thank you :) Yes me too. I feel so proud of her when she is brave or when she does something new. We still haven't had her for a year yet (adopted her last November), so even before we moved she was still doing new things and continuing to slowly get more comfortable.

The cool thing about having a very shy cat is that even very small things they do that your other cats might do every day can make you very happy!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl has been with me nine years. This last year was the first that she would come and lay beside me. She does make progress every year, just very very slowly. But she was a semi feral when I adopted her and she has come so far since then.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl has been with me nine years. This last year was the first that she would come and lay beside me. She does make progress every year, just very very slowly. But she was a semi feral when I adopted her and she has come so far since then.
That must have made you happy :) It's pretty cool how even nine years later she still makes progress. I would like if Bonnie would come lay with me on the couch and bed one day. But if not, thats ok, my other two are complete cuddle bugs.