Cat has been hiding in the ceiling for a month after moving

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello. We recently moved a month ago to the day. We have three cats, 2 of them have adjusted very well within a couple weeks and are back to normal. Our third cat Bonnie is the shyest of the three. She took months to fully come out of her shell when we first brought her home, but before we moved she would hang out with us every night and seek pets and playtime even if she did remain skittish of noises and strangers. She was not socialized properly as a kitten and at the shelter would just hide in a corner all day and shut down if someone touched her or picked her up.

She isnt taking the move well and through the unfinished part of our basement where the litter boxes are she got into the ceiling and has been living in there. She comes down when were gone and in the middle of the night to eat and wander around. Sometimes I wake up because our other cat Noodle is hissing at her when shes come in our bedroom. I cant get up and beat her to the door to keep her from darting back to the basement (haven't tried but it would be fruitless and I'd scare her) and Noodle makes it impossible to coax her over in the night.

I was going to just patiently wait for her like we did when we adopted her since she isnt stuck, but it's taking a long time and I dont think shes made progress for a few weeks. I dont want her to regress to being a hide all the time cat when she enjoyed coming out and having fun and companionship before.

I feel like I'm close to trying to rent or borrow a trap for feral cats and trap her and then staple shut all the holes in the ceiling with chicken wire while shes not in the room. But idk if I'm being weak and should just wait it out. I check on her every day to make sure shes fine and will come to the edge of the hole. She will come to say hi if I jingle toys or talk to her for awhile. But she wont come out

Anyone dealt with a similar situation or have advice?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe waiting would work, maybe it wouldn't. We had one poster with a cat living in their walls for over 5 weeks that eventually had to cut into the walls. Also consider that if she is peeing and pooping up there, you could have a growing toxic mold problem.

So I 100% think getting her out of the ceiling is the right idea, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to seal up or prevent her finding somewhere else bad to hide. She is going to be real determined to get back. So if you get her, can you set her up in a safe room, you know like one does for a new kitten? I think that would be the best bet -- set her up in a bedroom where she can hide under the bed if she wants, but you will know where she is and can sit close enough to build the trust and confidence back up. Its not that she is hiding that is the problem per se, its more where she is hiding.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She is coming down to eat and explore so perhaps she is also coming down as well to use the litter box . If she is urinating or defecating in the ceiling for a month it should be strong enough for you to smell it. If she isn’t then I don’t see anything wrong with letting her decide when she wants to come upstairs and be seen. Sure you can trap her but the trauma of that will set her back in feeling safe in your new place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont think she is using the bathroom in the wall because there is no smell and the litterbox is close to where she accesses the ceiling in a room we dont often go in so I can see her being comfortable using it when we arent there. I cant be sure though. I wish I could think of a way to close off that room while she wasn't in it but I cant think of a scenario since she doesnt come out when we are there or awake.

I do like the idea of putting her in perhaps the guest bedroom where she can be on a quiet place and hide but we know where she is, but getting her there will be so hard. She is a smart and wary cat and refuses to be tricked with food or toys. Before we moved she knew something was wrong and hid the week before we left. We had to move all the furniture out of the bedroom before we could get her in the carrier and it was definately traumatizing for her.

Maybe it is best to wait but I dont know. I would like to have encouragement that cats really do come out even after being in there for over a month or months. I'm ok with her taking a while and being patient even though I miss her I guess I am scared that she wont ever come out and become a "basement cat" more than anything. I think she is using the litter box

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that she is exploring while you are sleeping is an very good sign that she will choose to come upstairs at some point. It could be days, weeks or months but it will happen. She just has to feel that there isn’t anything scary or dangerous upstairs and once that happens she will come up. She is also probably fearful she might be stuffed in a carrier again. She will get over it in her own time. If she were mine I would give her that time

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that you would be able to smell it if something was going on in a distant corner of the ceiling. I only have one cats worth of experience with a cat "holding it," (because he only went to the bathroom outside) but that cat seemed to have trouble with even 10 hours sometimes. When weather was bad and we kept him in overnight, we had problems. If you are home all day, he (in his mind) can't use the litterbox for quite a long while.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
artnj I do hear you. Most days were gone to work and then sleep at night and on the weekends are often gone part of the day. I think I would like to do a webcam like suggested further down to confirm she uses the box though... thanks for being frank!

susanm9006 susanm9006 that is nice to hear that its a good sign. I would like to wait for her too... I feel bad putting her through more stress :/ People like my fiancee's grandfather keep scaring me by saying things like "if she dies in there itll stink to high heaven" and making me wonder if I should force her out... but she seem fine...which is why I am here seeking advice.

Helenww, yes, this is something I could do actually. I was going to get another litter box to put in that room this week anyway and then I could keep them in there at night sometimes. It is one of their favorite rooms to sleep in and look out the window so I dont think they would even mind too much. Maybe then I can see if she she walk up to the side of the bed. She did come up there when I was quietly watching tv late last night but Noodle wouldnt let her come in again. Noodle and Grey like to sleep in our bedroom with us at night and Noodle has never gotten along with Bonnie despite being littermates. I think I may give this a try once I put the box up there.

Caspers Human I like that idea too. Im not sure why I didnt think of it before. I will have to look into how much these cost. It would be nice to know how much she really does come down. I caught her upstairs once during the day..I didnt know she was there and when I turned the TV on she darted back to the basement from under the couch. That was 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has survived for a month, she isn’t going to die. And if she came to your room with you up and TV on she is progressing. You can pick up a Wyze cam for $26 on Amazon. A great, cheap little camera, with night vision and motion detection. Were the other cats always so hissy towards her? If not, perhaps it is because she smells of the basement ceiling.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well thats very affordable. I will get one today I think. I read online its good to leave a light on so she can see how to get out so there is a light on in the room 24/7.

Noodle has always been hissy toward her. Nothing new. I was hoping they might improve in the new house... Its a one way thing, Bonnie doesnt mind her at all. Grey Cat gets along well with her too.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a little update, I did get a webcam so I can know for sure if Bonnie is coming out to use the litter box during the day... and generally get more info. It arrived today and Ill set it up tonight so I can start spying on her lol.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She actually does like music, funny she is our only cat I have noticed that she always comes out when we play any. I used to doubt cats caring about music until that. She likes reggae :) Maybe I could play some kitty music through my laptop for her. Thanks for the suggestion.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plug in some feliway as well if you can, it might help. I would try to get her and put her in a room with a cat tree, and some hooded cat beds along with a litter box. I would also recommend the webcam just to make sure she is going as UTIs can be life threatening if she gets blocked.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well something happened last night. All of a sudden while we were in the living room playing a game on the middle floor she came running up the basement stairs and then chased Noodle all the way up to the top floor. My fiancee seized the opportunity to close the basement door. Then moved the litterboxes out of the room where she can get to the ceiling. I felt really bad because she really plaintively meowed to get back... but then once she figured it out she hid under the couch. Then went over to the curtains and just looked at me. She gave me some blinks so I think she'll get over it and there are many better places for her to hide. This morning she was under the bed in the guest room.

I guess I am releived she is not hiding somewhere potentially dangerous anymore. I was afraid of her chewing electrical wires..

See the kitty behind the curtain behind the cat tree?
20200902_231134.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well something happened last night. All of a sudden while we were in the living room playing a game on the middle floor she came running up the basement stairs and then chased Noodle all the way up to the top floor. My fiancee seized the opportunity to close the basement door. Then moved the litterboxes out of the room where she can get to the ceiling. I felt really bad because she really plaintively meowed to get back... but then once she figured it out she hid under the couch. Then went over to the curtains and just looked at me. She gave me some blinks so I think she'll get over it and there are many better places for her to hide. This morning she was under the bed in the guest room.

I guess I am releived she is not hiding somewhere potentially dangerous anymore. I was afraid of her chewing electrical wires..

See the kitty behind the curtain behind the cat tree?View attachment 349622
I am glad that she is no longer hiding in the ceiling anymore. Hopefully she will get more social as time goes on. Just remember, you are operating on "kitty time" not when you want things to happen. :lol:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome. Now you can sit and chill nearby, show her you are still you and not so bad. Eventually lure out with treats and play, all that. Its just going to help her a lot, eventually. As mentioned above, you alreay know to let her hide and take her time, and thats still true, but having the ability to be close is going to make a big difference! Good luck!

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it will help too. She would try to grab the toy from her ceiling hole and used to seek attention every day so I am hoping and feeling pretty confident now that she's upstairs again that it will indeed happen eventually. Ive never had a pet take moving this badly. Poor thing.