Cat Had Sneezing Attack After Sniffing Catnip

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my cat a scratching board which came with a little bag of catnip that one is suppose to sprinkle on the board to make it more attractive for the cat.
Last night I decided to give her a little bit of the catnip on its own. I put a pinch of it on the floor. The cat walked up to it and took a whiff of it. All of a sudden she began sneezing several times in a row. I'm not sure if she got some up her nose and it irritated her nasal passages (note: this catnip was more closer to a powder-like form rather than a chopped up form) or if the sneezing was just pure coincidence. After that the sneezing did stop and nearly 24 hrs later she seems normal, so this post is more out of curiosity than concern.
As for how the catnip affected her, she did have the zoomies after, but she sometimes has the zoomies around that time, so I can't really say if it's from the catnip.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She got it in her nose and sneezed it out. No big deal, certainly no cause for worry.

Different cats have different reactions to catnip. Some will get the zoomies; some get all laid back and mellow; a very few get aggressive. Oh, yeah. And some cats have no reaction at all - catnip is just another smell to them.

I'm a little surprised she was snorting it; my cats, given a chance, will roll in it. Or eat it - that may be what she was attempting when she got a nose full.

Margret