Cat Grumbles And Throws Huge Tantrums!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old Siamese boy, and hes very high strung and playful. Always has been, and even though hes 10 hes still crazy.

My issue is he throws these HUGE tantrums every evening:
-- he "grumbles" (not growls) (make a reeeooowwww reoooooww sound) and get in our faces
-- flies around the room, up on all the tables and furniture, knocking things over, and continue to grumble as he flies around the room.
-- He jumps and bounces on our chests and laps and then runs away.

He upsets everyone and we cant relax. This is NOT the zoomies he gets after using the litter box.

We play with interactive toys with him a ton, we have mouses and butterfly toys, which he loves. We play a game where we lightly toss him onto the bed (he loves this and keeps returning to us so we can toss him again and he purrs). He has cat trees and tunnels and we have no kids and don't play loud music ever.
We try and play to get his energy out but he still is INSANE and sometimes hurts himself when tearing around the room at top speeds.
Hes a good boy most times.

Does anyone else's cat do this? How do I stop it! :(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we are missing something, but that sounds like the zoomies with some unusual noises added in?

You could try varying the schedule somehow, maybe move up the evening feeding so he'll be feeling full around that time of day. You could also try giving some catnip an hour or two earlier; catnip is said to produce a bit of a "down" after the "high."

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bird feeder in a window for him to watch?

My boys spend hours bird watching this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really wish I could put up a video because, as I stated before, this is not the zoomies lol.. It mostly consists of him grumbling/howling as us and running up the walls to the point of injury. We free feed so Idk about the feeding time thing, but its an idea. And i'll definitely keep that in mind about the catnip.

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had him checked by a vet? Given his age this could be a sign of HYPER-thyroidism.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you had him checked by a vet? Given his age this could be a sign of HYPER-thyroidism.
Yes the vet says all his blood levels are normal, and hes always been a good weight and very healthy. Hes just a nut.

BertyRiley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does sound like a high strung fun nut. Have you tried any Feliway? I heard that has a calming effect too. I wish I could help you. I have the opposite with my cat, she just lays there and looks at you.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a new behavior or something he’s always done? If it’s a new behavior and his bloodwork looks fine, maybe get his teeth checked out under sedation with xrays. A lot of times cats with behavioral issues are dealing with pain (or not dealing with it so well.). Since everything else checked out, it could be the teeth.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this a new behavior or something he’s always done? If it’s a new behavior and his bloodwork looks fine, maybe get his teeth checked out under sedation with xrays. A lot of times cats with behavioral issues are dealing with pain (or not dealing with it so well.). Since everything else checked out, it could be the teeth.
Its not a new behavior, I just have never posted anything online about it, but then I found this site. Hes always been insane even though we play with him a ton. The vet looked at his teeth not that long ok and said he was fine, but I'll have to look again. Thanks!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe he needs more activities to tire him out? Even if it's not the zoomies, a tired cat is a happily snoozing cat, right?

Since he sounds super energetic, you could try one of those running wheels they make for Bengals if you have the space.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No more throwing on the bed. Hopefully that will help him to not throw himself at you. Though it will take time. Add a 72inch cat tower and put up lots of shelves. Especially up high

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even though he sometimes gets hurt he's getting something out of this. He's created a routine so you may not ever know what started it.

Something he see's outside? Are you reacting in a way he finds entertaining?

Can you put away anything he can knock over and then completely ignore him? When he starts get up and leave the room.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it always the siamese?!? ;)

I would watch how he eats and see if his teeth need a check up. However my half siamese boy well twerp if he gets bored or is hungry. He goes into pest mode. He gets into one forbidden thing after another. He complain meows to me.

I have found playing/starting a game of fetch useful. Honestly though the best medicine is to try to prevent him having to much energy and being bored. So everyday my little dude gets at least an hour outside on his harness, to just hunt bugs, look at birds etc. plus I have some bird feeders outside for him to look at. He gets short walks to. Add to that he gets to play with me at least 2 times a day. All in all it has made him go from crazy hyper kitten to a sometimes a twerp semi-hyper 8 month kitten. Have you tried toys like the bird, fit 4 life fishing pole toys and or long haired rabbit fur mice? My boy loves to play fetch with the mice. Or maybe wrestling with him, using your hand under a thick blanket?

:goodluck:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a large bad tempered Siamese who cackled and grumbled to herself any time we made her move, told her no or otherwise irritated her. She was never much of a runner, too fat, but she would walk around the room talking to herself . Your boy sounds like he gets himself wound up when he is annoyed and does a more active and louder version of what my Genny did.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I’m writing this my twerp has finally stopped meowing and is on my lap nursing his binky. I wish he would start dragging his blanket around instead of just following me around and being a pest for the last 30 minutes.

I think some active play should help him remember his sweeter, less grumbly side. My punk Dante taught me that you need to wear them out mentally as well as physically. Puzzle feeders and a bird watching window should help. My senior cat makes a grumbly meow if I move him.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why is it always the siamese?!? ;)

I would watch how he eats and see if his teeth need a check up. However my half siamese boy well twerp if he gets bored or is hungry. He goes into pest mode. He gets into one forbidden thing after another. He complain meows to me.

I have found playing/starting a game of fetch useful. Honestly though the best medicine is to try to prevent him having to much energy and being bored. So everyday my little dude gets at least an hour outside on his harness, to just hunt bugs, look at birds etc. plus I have some bird feeders outside for him to look at. He gets short walks to. Add to that he gets to play with me at least 2 times a day. All in all it has made him go from crazy hyper kitten to a sometimes a twerp semi-hyper 8 month kitten. Have you tried toys like the bird, fit 4 life fishing pole toys and or long haired rabbit fur mice? My boy loves to play fetch with the mice. Or maybe wrestling with him, using your hand under a thick blanket?

:goodluck:
"Pest Mode" I love that, lol. Siamese are highly intelligent (so I always hear) and need a lot of stimulation which we try to give him. We actually did take him on harness walks until we got a fenced in yard, so I do take him outside tons when the weather is nice. (I always stay where I can see him). Hes 10 but acts like a kitten with his crazy energy. I did recently get him a puzzle feeder where he can pull food out of it with his paw and he does love that. I'll definitely be checking his teeth more frequently. Thanks for the reply!