Cat got pee on her paws

Chonkycat13589

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, new here, nice to meet all of you!
I have a 7 month old kitten, and today I deep cleaned her litter box. When I was about to fill in her newly cleaned litterbox with litter, she hopped in and started peeing in it (with no litter). Naturally, some of her pee got onto her back paw. After, she zoomied up my carpetted stairs.

1.I’m concerned that the pee residues on her paws would soak through my carpet and will cause her to pee inappropriately. There are no wet spots on the carpet though. Do I still need to thoroughly clean the carpet to get rid of any potential scent?

2.She peed 2 hours ago before peeing in the empty litterbox, which is strange as she usually pees every 5-6 hours. Is this normal behavior / is she marking the box with her scent again since it smells unfamiliar because I deepcleaned it? She is spayed.

Thank you for any advice! I’m a little bit of a worrywart :p

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all, new here, nice to meet all of you!
I have a 7 month old kitten, and today I deep cleaned her litter box. When I was about to fill in her newly cleaned litterbox with litter, she hopped in and started peeing in it (with no litter). Naturally, some of her pee got onto her back paw. After, she zoomied up my carpetted stairs.

Thank you for any advice! I’m a little bit of a worrywart :p
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

1.I’m concerned that the pee residues on her paws would soak through my carpet and will cause her to pee inappropriately. There are no wet spots on the carpet though. Do I still need to thoroughly clean the carpet to get rid of any potential scent?
Can you grab hold of a cleaner called Nature's Miracle 3 in 1 odor remover or any other brand that is for safe for pets and works similarly? If you have it, spray liberally on the spots that she ran over and soak the spot and then use newspaper (make sure it's thick, you can fold a few pages of it) and place it over the spot to soak up the damp spot. Repeat with new paper till spot is dry to touch. If the spot is not wet with urine, just spray the odor cleaner on roughly where she stepped on. Once it's cleaned properly, I don't think your cat will pee inappropriately unless it is a behavior problem.

D7113C97-31B6-4994-B39B-025C66BC81C9$L0$001~photo.jpg

2.She peed 2 hours ago before peeing in the empty litterbox, which is strange as she usually pees every 5-6 hours. Is this normal behavior / is she marking the box with her scent again since it smells unfamiliar because I deepcleaned it? She is spayed.
She is still very much a kitten at 7 months old and kittens can't hold their pee well as the bladder is not fully develop and have the strength to hols the pee and therefore they pee several times a day. When she turn into adulthood, her bladder strength will be much stronger and she'll be able withhold much longer and thus will pee less times but maybe more in quantity.

Best to not to use any strong detergent to wash the litterbox. Use mild soap and hot water scrub and clean and dry. Have a spare box to standby when you to deep clean of the litterbox so that if she needs to use it, she has a new one to use.
She knows it is her litterbox and in a way, she could be marking it to musk of the smell of whatever you used to clean it or it could be at that time and moment, she needs to pee and that's why she went into the litterbox to pee even that there's no liter in it.

However, it's always good to just observe what goes on next with her whether if she continues using the litterbox which is a good sign or will she pee elsewhere where she left some pee scents around. If she does it elsewhere, do a good clean up of that spot.

But I guess that she'll still use back the litterbox. My boy sometimes get pee on his leg and he walks all over the house and up the sofa and leave his pee stains around but he did not pee inappropriately and is going back to use his litterbox.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
It wouldn't hurt to use a simple spray on your carpet that you can easily vacuum up. If you really want to know, you can always try purchasing a UV light (aka a black light) which will make cat pee glow yellow or green, so you know where to clean.
Also, cats are jerks on purpose when you clean litter boxes. Some will go right after you clean, and some will go while you're still trying to clean. They just want the space to be theirs, nothing to worry about.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some will go right after you clean, and some will go while you're still trying to clean. They just want the space to be theirs, nothing to worry about.
Yea, some think that you are stealing their litter and some think you do a bad job in cleaning and covering up and so they must do the final touches :lol:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and Welcome! All of the above! There are cats who are intrigued by someone 'messing' with their litterbox. So, some are 'pre-disposed' by curiosity to enter a box when it is being cleaned. As said above, I have a 'spare' box that I pour the old litter into when I am cleaning out the 'regular' box. If Feeby should become 'curious' when her standard litter box is being cleaned, and then thinks - 'hey, I think I need to go now', she has the 'back up' box to use. Most of the time, that works. No being a 'jerk' about it, just cat curiosity, which runs strong in kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chonkycat13589

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the advice! I will go get the Nature’s Miracle cleaning stuff tomorrow and hope no accidents happen tonight :D
She does have a spare box that I didn’t touch available to her when I was cleaning but I guess curiosity got the best of her *facepalm*
Here is a photo of the troublemaker <3

Attachments

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten did this the first time I emptied out her box, even though I had set up an extra box in the very same room. She also peed in a new box I bought and stored in the bathtub, even though it was empty and had never been used as a litter box. She also pees (a) whenever she catches me pouring extra litter in (it must be sullied!), and (b) pretty much whenever I use the toilet. It's obvious she doesn't need to go because the clumps will be the size of my thumbnail. I have accepted that cats are weirdos. Or at least mine is.