Cat Furniture & Accessories - Which To Get?

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey!

I'm getting a new cat soon, and I was wondering what well built accessories and furniture I can get without breaking the bank. I know most of these things are going to be subjective, but I am wondering what things your cat likes, and things you would recommend.
So, what scratching posts, food/water dishes (planning on getting dishes that are thin and wide), beds (though I'd like him to sleep with me, I'd like him to have a bed of his own, too.), toys, or anything else you can think of would you recommend for me and my future cat?

EDIT: If I did purchase a cat tree with scratching post bases, would it be necessary to also get a standalone scratching post? My new house isn't that big..

Thanks in advance,
Egg Sandwich

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
For toys, you'll need a mix of interactive toys as well as independent play toys for while you're not around. Independent play toys are simple, most cats are fascinated with a ping pong ball or a catnip mouse (can be found for less than a dollar at any pet supply store). Interactive wand-type toys are more complicated to shop for, as individual cats have different preferences for these. A toy your cat might love, a neighbor's cat might ignore. There are a few classic cat toys that most all cats like:

Go Cat Da Bird Original Feather Teaser Wand Cat Toy

Go Cat Cat Catcher Teaser Wand Cat Toy

Cat Dancer Cat Charmer Toy

For scratching posts, different cats also have different preferences. I'd reccommend just trying different kinds, sisal rope (thick rope and thin rope), cardboard scratchers (you can get these for cheap), as well as vertical, horizontal, and incline scratchers. The vertical sisal rope scratchers are generally the most popular among cats, so I'd reccommend starting with this kind, and then trying out a horizontal cardboard scratcher, if the sisal rope is ignored.

You'll also need a cat tree, to satisfy your cat's need for vertical space. Many of these also have scratching posts built in. Chewy has a wide variety of very nice, affordable cat trees: Cat Trees & Condos - Free shipping at Chewy.com

Some other posters will probably be able to give you suggestions too! :thumbsup:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
To add on to what abyeb abyeb mentioned, a teaser is a must. This will give the cat a good work out and also cat tree is the other must have.

As for the other toys, go slow. Not all cats like all toys. Otherwise you'll end up with a box of unused new toys.

Many DIY toys are good and if your cat doesn't like it, you waste no money. The other thing is get cardboard boxes. They can hide, chew them. Also maybe ping pong balls.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
To add on to what abyeb abyeb mentioned, a teaser is a must. This will give the cat a good work out and also cat tree is the other must have.

As for the other toys, go slow. Not all cats like all toys. Otherwise you'll end up with a box of unused new toys.

Many DIY toys are good and if your cat doesn't like it, you waste no money. The other thing is get cardboard boxes. They can hide, chew them. Also maybe ping pong balls.
Yes! The humble cardboard box... the cheapest, yet most well-loved of all cat furniture.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add a laser light. They are about $10, but cats never tire of them and never figure out that they can't catch the red dot. Small trees are great too, especially if placed near a window. Windows are cat TVs, and both my cats spend hours looking out the window. Cat trees generally have a sisal post base for scratching, and a round bed on top. Mingo loves his and often sleeps in it. It was quite reasonable.

Lily likes squeaky mice. They are some comfort to her, as she always gets one out and plays with it when I go to another room. Mingo prefers the scrunchy balls, and when he was a kitten, he would actually bring it back to me to throw again.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As far as trees and scratching posts go wait and see what you cat likes and uses the most. Some cats are tree dwellers and love to be able to get up high. Others are bush dwellers and like beds and hiding places at floor level. Cardboard boxes are great. Cats love to hide in them, scratch them and chew them up.

You can tape a few together or stack them on top of each other with holes cut in the side so your cat can get from one box to the other.

Loads more ideas here.

cardboard box castle for cats - Google 検索

Another thing my cats love are those rubber jigsaw mats you can buy from dollar/pound shops. You can cut them to size to fit any corner your cat likes. They're light enough to attach to a wall with masking tape. (Make sure it's not a papered wall) The cats like to scratch them and lie on them. Once they get torn up they're cheap enough to toss out and replace.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!

I'm getting a new cat soon, and I was wondering what well built accessories and furniture I can get without breaking the bank. I know most of these things are going to be subjective, but I am wondering what things your cat likes, and things you would recommend.
So, what scratching posts, food/water dishes (planning on getting dishes that are thin and wide), beds (though I'd like him to sleep with me, I'd like him to have a bed of his own, too.), toys, or anything else you can think of would you recommend for me and my future cat?

EDIT: If I did purchase a cat tree with scratching post bases, would it be necessary to also get a standalone scratching post? My new house isn't that big..

Thanks in advance,
Egg Sandwich
:hellocat:Since you already have a cat tree with scratching post bases try some cheap cardboard scratchers, Gypsy likes hers to be vertical, some cats like them horizontal. Our girl won't play with balls, the circular cat toy with cardboard in the middle with a ball to chase around a track, soft toys, boxes or crinkly things. (thank goodness for store return policies) She doesn't like catnip. She likes climbing, looking out the windows at the birds & squirrels, being brushed, tummy rubs and bags to hide in. She will chase the red dot, we always toss something small & soft for her to 'kill' at the end of laser playtime so she doesn't get frustrated. She used to play with a squeaky mouse all the time but hasn't lately. I need to put it away for awhile. Her favorite toy is a shoelace tied to a window blind wand to chase and jump for. She also likes to play with a wiggly worm/snake thingy from the Jackson Galaxy collection. When in the mood she will also play tag. Anything with feathers gets attacked, torn apart and then ignored. She batted around bottle caps for about 5 minutes then not interested anymore. We take her outside in her cat walking jacket, she would rather go outside solo but no way.
Try experimenting with inexpensive and homemade things first. Keep us updated with lots of photos. Good luck. :crossfingers: :wave3::catrub:

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! The humble cardboard box... the cheapest, yet most well-loved of all cat furniture.
Ain't it the truth? :)

I buy lots of boxes of various sizes for our cats, and cut out little windows, doors, and skylights for them to crawl in and out of. Paper grocery bags are usually a big hit, too, as well as the large 30 gallon paper lawn bags.

I've spent a fortune on expensive cat furniture and toys over the years, and it seems like they always wind up preferring to play with stuff I'd normally throw in the trash or am trying to use at the time, e.g., empty toilet paper rolls, shredded paper, paper towel rolls cut into 1" rings, an open gym bag, the clothes I just changed out of, etc.

Oh, and just buy glass, ceramic, or stainless steel bowls. Plastic tends to harbor bacteria, which can cause feline acne that can get infected.

Congratulations on your new kitty, and please post some pics when you can! :)