cat food recipes?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read somewhere about cat food recipes...much like baby food, stew, cool and freeze for later.......but I can't remember where I found it.

The boys were AWFULLY happy last night when I fed them some turkey in broth out of my crock-pot last night, and I wondered about making the occasional meal home-cooked.

Does anyone have any cat food recipes I could make for my boys?

I have a 5lb kitten and a 14.86lb 4yr old(who should be 12-13lbs and is on a diet)

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you read the sticky at the top of the forum for home cooked foods?  That's a great place to start! It provides links to recipes, premix supplements, and books that provide info for home cooking your cat's meals.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's only going to be 1-2 meals a week, you don't need to worry about it being a balanced diet. You can just cook up some yummy meat without using spices or salt. If you want it to be a larger part of their diet, yeah, check out the homecooked resource thread for info on how to make it balanced. Lots of great info there!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's only going to be 1-2 meals a week, you don't need to worry about it being a balanced diet. You can just cook up some yummy meat without using spices or salt. If you want it to be a larger part of their diet, yeah, check out the homecooked resource thread for info on how to make it balanced. Lots of great info there!
:yeah:

Just make sure that they aren't getting cooked bone and you'll be OK feeding this as a meal twice a week. You can get supplements like TC Feline to balance the meat if you want to feed this more often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cool, they can just have stew when we do then :)

I don't add anything when I cook, just leave it to hubby to add it to his bowl at the end, since the rest of us prefer to eat  bland. A good bone broth is good for us, then I remove all bones before I start adding ingredients to make the actual soup/stew.

The only suppliments I have in the house so far are the l-Lysene and Forti-Flora the vet gave me, because Matt's just coming off of an infection in his bloodstream so I wouldn't want to stress his system any more by changing his diet right now....I just want him to stay better

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Call of the Wild (Wysong) supplement best for  "on the fly" meals.  You can dole it out one teaspoon per 3 oz - no water or 'gravy making' required.