Cat Food Bowl Logic

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
ha! That never happens around here- they eat it all!

I just think the cats can't reach the "corners" of the bowls due to their whiskers getting in the way.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's so true!

with snick's dry food (freeze dried chicken treats with a few kibble mixed in), i'll shake the dish several times throughout the day so the food shifts back to the center area of it.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ha! That was Sassy, back before she left us. she used to go into a panic when she could see the bottom of the bowl...what a pampered kitty she was

Matt and Midnight are used to empty bowls, as they're both former strays. I feed them 1/3 cup twice a day, and they eat it all. Of course Matt always thinks he's starving, but that's just because he's a 16lb glutton!

As to why they do it, I observed the way that Sassy used to eat, and she ate directly out of the middle of the bowl.......so when she hit the bottom, she thought it was empty......never even occurred to her to eat the food around the outsides, she simply panicked

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just had a situation similar to this, but I was able to outsmart the furball.

She gets fed @ 7 AM and 7 PM (1/4 cup Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Formula) and that is the amount for her target weight (6-7 pounds) Anyway every morning at 7 the bowl is nearly always empty, this morning it was still full from the night before, minus the middle. So she was crying and crying for food, even though her bowl was full....... she knew it was food time, and she wanted fed even though her bowl was full. So in genius thinking, I took my measuring cup, poured the food back into it- and then put it back in bowl. She was completely content with that!! Other times, I just stir it and it tricks her !! I love being able to outsmart my cat, because she generally outsmarts us. She is highly intelligent!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL at that. That's cute. Yes, they are smart little beings. I wonder if it has to do with the round dish. My 2 have oval dishes. I got these from Kohl's. They are ceramic and are so cute! There usually is some scraps of food left when I go to get them their next meal but not too much and it's not in one particular area of the dish.

Last edited:

miannorvy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg! How adoreable. A week from Wednesday I am going to the city so I will check Kohl's out for these. Gotta have it. Looks like Bat Kitty and my daughter (age 23) is so caught up in Batman as is her partner. You wouldn't believe the things they have. Their kitty already has a batman costum for Halloween!  lol

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

We just had a situation similar to this, but I was able to outsmart the furball.

She gets fed @ 7 AM and 7 PM (1/4 cup Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Formula) and that is the amount for her target weight (6-7 pounds) Anyway every morning at 7 the bowl is nearly always empty, this morning it was still full from the night before, minus the middle. So she was crying and crying for food, even though her bowl was full....... she knew it was food time, and she wanted fed even though her bowl was full. So in genius thinking, I took my measuring cup, poured the food back into it- and then put it back in bowl. She was completely content with that!! Other times, I just stir it and it tricks her !! I love being able to outsmart my cat, because she generally outsmarts us. She is highly intelligent!
Sassy used to get fed once a day, and often had food left. Sometimes I strirred the bowl, too......It's not the empty bowl that bothered her, it was the seeing the bottom lol! I think she used to actually handle an empty bowl better than one with the middle eaten out! Such a strange, pampered Sassycat....she was a princess when I adopted her, and never lost that need to be pampered.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they plastic?
Yes, they are plastic but very thick and heavy duty. They have held up great an I keep them velcroed down to keep them in place. Works wonderful, and they are cheap enough that when they DO wear out they are easily replaced. I love the colorful look of them.

flutenotepoet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So funny!  My cat doesn't do this. Kat, those black kitty bowls are cute!