Cat flings litter all over

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My neighbor does not have internet access so I thought I would ask for her. Her 5 year old cat is flinging litter all over the place. Makes no difference what brand, used or fresh litter, or type of box. She has multiple cats each with their own box so she can't be sweeping up litter all over. The boxes range from kitten size to the largest for adult. I looked online and can't find the exact name. Isn't there a mat to place under the boxes or would that help at all? Cat was just at the vets going to same place I took Phantom and the cat is healthy. No emergency just want some information to relay back to her. And thank you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this something the cat has always done? If so, there's probably no way to break the habit now. And since the cat was just at the vet, it doesn't sound like a health issue.

There are litter mats that might help some. Here's a link from the NYT with reviews of some.
The Best Cat Litter Mat

She could also try an enclosed litter box, if the cat would be ok with it.

Here's a TCS article on How To Choose The Right Litterbox - TheCatSite that includes covered ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this something the cat has always done? If so, there's probably no way to break the habit now. And since the cat was just at the vet, it doesn't sound like a health issue.

There are litter mats that might help some. Here's a link from the NYT with reviews of some.
The Best Cat Litter Mat

She could also try an enclosed litter box, if the cat would be ok with it.

Here's a TCS article on How To Choose The Right Litterbox - TheCatSite that includes covered ones.
She didn't say. I assume so. She just wants to make it so that it is easier cleaning up as she's getting older. Thank you for the articles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 453209The double layer does not help much. I bought thisnone,largest size and have had it 5 days. Very little litter, if any. I used high sided storage bins. 18 inch high and 28 inch long
That looks doable. I'll show her the photo to this

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are litter flingers too.

My solution was to just vacuum daily. I bought a convenient cordless vacuum that I just leave out, takes less than 10 mins a day and there's also less hair and dust, it's nice.
A Roomba or other robot vacuum is also very good for this, just have it run once or twice a day. Make sure she gets one with a programmable map, so that she can set it to only go near the litter boxes, so she doesn't have to always keep everything off the floor. I don't do this because my doors have these stupid thresholds that the Roomba can't get past without getting stuck often, I could try to find ramps and stuff but it's easier to just do with the cordless vacuum.

I am weary of mats after trying them with a previous cat, the dude hated stepping on the 3 different kinds I got him, and would refuse to use the litter box if they were near it.

She can also try a top-entry litter box if desperate, though cats often hate using those, and it may lead to them deciding the bed would make a better litter box...