RocketPuppy97

Can Opener for Monty & Cosmo
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have 5 cats
  • Eve and Amy ( 1 year old) sisters
  • Cosmo (5 years old)
  • Icarus and Arthus (3years old) brothers
I moved in with my boyfriend in a new huge flat. Icarus and Arthus were his cats so we had to introduce them to my three. It was a new environment for all of them so no previous territory was disturbed.
The move was back at the end of May.

We did the whole feeding with a barrier thing and all got along fairly quickly. We were able to get them to live together just fine. Icarus was a little hissy when someone (even his brother) got into his personal space. A hiss and they back off and nothing more would happen. They tolerated each other just fine. No one acting scared, even sleeping in bed with us.
We have enough litter boxes in every room. And so much vertical space for them to use.

But the problem is, from time to time fights will break out and it's almost always Icarus and Arthus against Cosmo. Fur will fly and it becomes a screaming match. Cosmo had a few scratches on his nose as a result. I'll break up the fight and after like 10 minutes it's like nothing happened.
They will lay somewhere belly exposed feeling completely save and I don't know why these fights happen honestly.

This morning was the last straw for me, of course it happened in another room, like most times when a fight breaks out, I come running because I heard it and saw Cosmo fluff scattered on the ground, two bushy tailed Icarus and Arthus and Cosmo squinting his right I. I work as a vet tech so I knew it was probably a cut on the cornea. So I'll have to bring him to work with me again to get him treated.

I don't know what I'm missing. I even saw Cosmo slow blink at Arthus.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really hasn't been that long since they all were introduced to each other, so I am surprised you haven't had more issues than you currently are. However, it is still an adjustment period, especially for Icarus and Arthus having to deal with 3 more cats. And even though the home is new to all of them, that doesn't mean you aren't dealing with some degree of territorial issues.

There is a source of the fighting, and investigation on your part is the only way to find out what that source is. Create a log and make an entry each time a fight breaks out - where/when it is happening, whether it involves toys or cat trees/beds/hangout spots, food, water, or even litter boxes. It would seem that one of the two brothers is being aggravated by something Cosmos is inadvertently doing, and then that one starts the fight and the other joins in. Once a fight starts, remove the two brothers and place them in a separate room for a while and let things cool down. If you can find any sort of pattern, that will help to address a resolution. It may be, for example, if you find a specific location that the fights most often happen, you could set up a baby cam in that room to record what is going on when the fight starts.

This is kind of tricky because you don't want to continue to have Cosmos get injured, but if you can't find the source, it will be hard to stop the associated behavior. There are occasions when some cats have to go through a re-introduction process to stop the behavior; let's hope that is not your case. In the meantime, if you leave the house, separate these 3 cats so no fighting can get completely out of hand in your absence.

Why Do Cats Attack? A Closer Look at Cat Aggression And Its Causes - TheCatSite
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight: Effective Techniques - TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good news is, I'm fairIy sure that the corneaI scratch, shouId it prove to be that, was something of an accident. None of the cats seem intent on doing reaI harm, and when there's scuffIing going on, accidents happen. You're stiII earIy on in the introductions. We have seen them take the better part of a year to be fuIIy compIete. As for advice, I'm referring you back to FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , who has said pretty much what I was thinking!