Cat fights off coyotes -- and wins??

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a pair of coyotes at the zoo and they were like overexcited puppies at feeding time but would snap at you given a chance.
I never quite trusted them. The zoo doesnt give you any indication what they would be like in the wild.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder how that would have ended if the owners weren't there?
I think they would have gotten him eventually, unless he ran up a tree or something. They were trying to tire him out and if the owner hadn't opened the door they would have succeeded.
But when they howl at night he gets very anxious, almost like he's afraid...It's one of the very few things that makes him anxious.
If I have a window open and the cats can hear coyotes, they get all freaky. But my dogs (kept fenced, not allowed to run free) show NO reaction to coyote sounds. Not even a little. If the neighbor's dog barks, they bark. If there are other wild animal sounds they bark their heads off like crazy dogs. But coyote sounds? Not a peep from them, they pretend they didn't hear it. I don't know if that's fear or what, maybe they can tell how far away the coyotes are and don't think it's worth responding. But it's kind of funny.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do Coyotes bother humans??
My husband was stalked by a coyote playing golf, but I think was just curious and followed him, staying hidden in the bush.
My husband kept feeling like he was being watched and at one point ended up hitting his ball out to the edge of the fairway by the bush. He bent down to retrieve his ball when he came face to face with him. They locked eyes for a few moments, and my husband started to get up when it looked like the coyote was going to lung, so he stopped and the coyote stopped. My husband still bent over and looking at him took a few steps back instead of getting up first. This time the coyote stayed put so he continued to back away as he stood up. He quickly moved on to the next hole...the coyote never bother him, although my husband thinks he continued to follow him from the bush.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband was stalked by a coyote playing golf, but I think was just curious and followed him, staying hidden in the bush.
My husband kept feeling like he was being watched and at one point ended up hitting his ball out to the edge of the fairway by the bush. He bent down to retrieve his ball when he came face to face with him. They locked eyes for a few moments, and my husband started to get up when it looked like the coyote was going to lung, so he stopped and the coyote stopped. My husband still bent over and looking at him took a few steps back instead of getting up first. This time the coyote stayed put so he continued to back away as he stood up. He quickly moved on to the next hole...the coyote never bother him, although my husband thinks he continued to follow him from the bush.
That would not have been a good feeling.
He did the right thing not standing up and reducing the threat level to the coyote. That was smart.
I hoped he hit the ball nicely down the center of the fairways after that ;)

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem