Cat Eating Houseplant

TeragramK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which is to say, my cat is eating a houseplant, not that I have a cat-eating houseplant!

My cat has very few vices, and the only one that's really driving me up the wall is his tendency to chew on my houseplants. I don't get any plant at home that is toxic to cats, and for the most part the leaves just come right out the other end (he's thrown up only once after chewing on it). I've done a lot of googling and most of what I see is either he's eating it out of boredom or he's eating it due to some kind of vitamin deficiency.

I've tried moving plants out of his reach, but with the way my house is laid out there's very few places I can put a plant where he can't reach it but it will still get the light it needs. I've tried providing him with cat grass, which he loves, but he still chews on the plants even when the cat grass is more accessible. I also tried some live catnip but after he ate more than half of it in one sitting I realized that wasn't going to be a long-term solution! I've tried bitter-tasting sprays, which he seemed to think I put on there as some kind of seasoning just for him (I caught him licking it off the leaves!).

I've also tried solving a possible boredom problem by leaving his toys out (I keep them in a basket that's accessible to him, but I've noticed he's more likely to play on his own with what's already out than pull things out, unless he wants something specific or wants me to play with him) and getting a bird feeder so he has something stimulating to watch (he LOVES the bird feeder), and he spends less time eating the plants than he did before but he still does it! The only thing that actually stops him is when the counter the plant is on is too cluttered for him to get to it, but that's not really a solution I like on a regular basis!

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a very determined cat from eating houseplants, or should I just give up on having any kind of indoor greenery? Besides the general unattractiveness of a chewed-on plant glistening with cat spit, I'm also worried he's going to choke on it the way he scarfs it down sometimes.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Other members may have some creative ideas for you. However, our first 2 cats many moons ago did the same thing with our houseplants and we ended up giving them away. It's not necessarily the right solution for you and I appreciate you trying different remedies. Please let us know if you find a solution that works, best of luck!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to tell you this, but When I adopted Artie, I got rid of any and all houseplants that I had. I had a lovely bamboo plant, which was my favorite, and an orchid which I loved.

I have also refrained from fresh cut flowers. I love flowers. I am just not willing to take the chance on my guys' health...

I miss flowers, and plants, but I value my Kitty's life more...

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have given up, except for one I have one that is high up on a shelf. I can't have flowers at all. My cat goes crazy when he see's a bouquet of flowers. I also don't have any paper lampshades, they get chewed to bits. I have nothing made of cardboard and books have to be out of his reach or they will be destroyed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instead of real plants, maybe have fake plants instead. There are some pretty realistic looking ones. The texture and smell of a fake plant is different so maybe your cat won't be tempted to chew on it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some fake orchids years ago that look pretty realistic. My guys are pretty good about everything besides roses (they nibble on the flowers if they can get to them.) I did a long time ago have a fern eating kitten. I stopped him by placing orange peels around the outside of the pot and changing the peels every week or so. You might try painting the outside of the pot with orange oil once a week and growing him kitty grass?

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had cats for 30 years. Some cats are like a moth to a flame when it comes to plants of any kind. Years ago I eventually just had to get rid of my house plants. I have one cat who will find any kind of greenery that comes in the door. I can't even keep a vase of lilacs or any flower bouquet anywhere, she will find it....... I've even found her chewing on FAKE plants/arrangements. SHe is so nuts over plants/flowers that I can't even hang a bundle of dried roses on the wall, she'll find a way to get to them and eat them. Dried sunflowers, peonies, roses. One of my other cats has found a way to get into my china cabinet and pull out pieces of dried Wheat I have in an antique tin. Some cats just really really really go nuts for plants/flowers/live or dry.

I'd honestly just get rid of the houseplants.

I don't think it's a vitamin/nutritional deficiency at all.

Which is to say, my cat is eating a houseplant, not that I have a cat-eating houseplant!

My cat has very few vices, and the only one that's really driving me up the wall is his tendency to chew on my houseplants. I don't get any plant at home that is toxic to cats, and for the most part the leaves just come right out the other end (he's thrown up only once after chewing on it). I've done a lot of googling and most of what I see is either he's eating it out of boredom or he's eating it due to some kind of vitamin deficiency.

I've tried moving plants out of his reach, but with the way my house is laid out there's very few places I can put a plant where he can't reach it but it will still get the light it needs. I've tried providing him with cat grass, which he loves, but he still chews on the plants even when the cat grass is more accessible. I also tried some live catnip but after he ate more than half of it in one sitting I realized that wasn't going to be a long-term solution! I've tried bitter-tasting sprays, which he seemed to think I put on there as some kind of seasoning just for him (I caught him licking it off the leaves!).

I've also tried solving a possible boredom problem by leaving his toys out (I keep them in a basket that's accessible to him, but I've noticed he's more likely to play on his own with what's already out than pull things out, unless he wants something specific or wants me to play with him) and getting a bird feeder so he has something stimulating to watch (he LOVES the bird feeder), and he spends less time eating the plants than he did before but he still does it! The only thing that actually stops him is when the counter the plant is on is too cluttered for him to get to it, but that's not really a solution I like on a regular basis!

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep a very determined cat from eating houseplants, or should I just give up on having any kind of indoor greenery? Besides the general unattractiveness of a chewed-on plant glistening with cat spit, I'm also worried he's going to choke on it the way he scarfs it down sometimes.