Cat eating constantly since back from the vet for constipation

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Atticus, my 7 year old Manx, got back from having to go to the emergency vet for constipation. He had to get an enema and his anal glands were full and had to be cleaned out. Since he has been home, he eats constantly. I have been putting Miralax in his morning meal and he has been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness Mature Chicken Recipe Canned Food primarily, and whatever he can sneak of his sister's Taste of the Wild Roasted Venison and Smoked Salmon Kibbles if she doesn't eat them all right away. If he doesn't get food he licks everything...like paper, the blinds, the shower curtain etc. If he overeats, he throws up. He was never like this before. He used to just eat at meal times. It is just a coping mechanism because it comforts him to eat or what? Any suggestions what to do? I have been trying to add foods with pumpkin into his diet as well to improve his digestion etc.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's probably really hungry! How long has it been since he had to go in for the enema? And was he not eating much when he was constipated, maybe even acting hungry but then not eating? I'm not sure what to suggest since I've never had quite this problem with our cats, though you might be able to minimize the scarf-and-barf a little if you spread his food out on a plate and put it a few inches off the floor. (We have a cat who also has a tendency to eat too fast and then barf and those two things help.) Another thing that's helped with our cats is feeding them lots of small meals a day, separately, with a closed door between them.

Pumpkin is definitely good as is egg yolk, just watch out not to give too much of each since pumpkin can have opposite effects and too much egg yolk can cause diarrhea. It's taken me a long time to figure out how much pumpkin to put in our cats' food; it seems to be a very individual thing. Each cat gets about 1/8 of an egg yolk per day.

Good luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also wonder if he's just really hungry from not eating well prior to the Vet visit, then while at the Vet I'll bet he didn't eat much, if at all. BUT, if that visit was several days ago, then i would contact the Vet and let them know if this change in appetite. Perhaps something has changed (a new health issues) that is causing it that needs to be diagnosed. Could be his thyroid or something like that :dunno:. Better safe than sorry.

Adding pumpkin is a good way to help with the constipation AND help them feel full, but in your case, it doesn't seem to be working, another reason to see the Vet again if his Vet visit wasn't just this weekend.