Cat dry food questions

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have a 4 year old male cat, he has been on wet food (merrick) for a year or more now because he was on dry kibble (acana) since he was a kitten but as of last year just one random day he got pancreatitis, he had constipation, he wasn't eating, he would vomit quite a bit and whole pieces of food would come up, and he was lethargic. The vet had to give him Subq (Subcutaneous) injections to hydrate him, and he had some pills to make him wanna eat. After that, he was eating again and we put him on wet food due to the moisture content, he also used to drink alot of water while on dry food as well but he was still dehydrated. Since being on wet food he has been healthy, and everything has been good for him.

I was just wondering, does this mean he can't eat dry food and has to be on wet food all his life or are there brands that won't do that to him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have a 4 year old male cat, he has been on wet food (merrick) for a year or more now because he was on dry kibble (acana) since he was a kitten but as of last year just one random day he got pancreatitis, he had constipation, he wasn't eating, he would vomit quite a bit and whole pieces of food would come up, and he was lethargic. The vet had to give him Subq (Subcutaneous) injections to hydrate him, and he had some pills to make him wanna eat. After that, he was eating again and we put him on wet food due to the moisture content, he also used to drink alot of water while on dry food as well but he was still dehydrated. Since being on wet food he has been healthy, and everything has been good for him.

I was just wondering, does this mean he can't eat dry food and has to be on wet food all his life or are there brands that won't do that to him?
Edit just asking because he doesn't seem to be insanely crazy about his wet food lately and he is very picky about flavours but he always wants my other cats dry food (Rawz) he does nibble at it but just starting today, he constantly wants her dry food

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if he's doing significantly better on just wet food, that sounds like a clear indication that wet food does prevent his problems. Pancreatitis and constipation aren't trivial problems so I'd try to keep him on the wet food. But... Sometimes keeping a cat on wet foods involves feeding a little bit of dry stuff, though: our cat who prefers dry food will eat wet food if we put some dry food on it. She'd been eating all wet food for years but then decided this past spring that she wanted to eat just the dry food we used as treats and toppers. She ate pretty much just dry food for a few months but gradually started eating more wet food again, so she's eating something around 50/50, give or take. That's partly because we put some dry food on her wet food.

Something that really helps her with constipation is Vet's Best hairball relief tablets. Ireland gets very picky when she's constipated so we give these to her every day. It would be worth asking your vet about these and other supplements that could ease constipation. Hairball Relief Digestive Aid | Vet's Best

Good luck!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a struggle. On one hand, wet food seems to be better for digestion, hydration, urinary health, etc. But on the other hand, cats thrive on multiple small meals per day which is more easily achieved with dry food since it can be left out or put into an automatic feeder.

Wet food tends to be closer to what a cat naturally would eat. 70% moisture helps to make them feel full and keeps them hydrated (since cats often have a naturally low thirst response). Chronic dehydration can lead to many issues in the body (including constipation and poor urinary tract health). I've also noticed that cats tend to eat too much dry food at once and when it expands in the moisture of their stomach they throw it back up not long after eating it. Wet food is also higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates in general, which is what is healthiest for cats.

I would definitely continue feeding wet food for the above reasons, but you could try introducing some dry food back in. Small portions would be important, with water always available. There are dry foods you can add moisture too if that would encourage your kitty to eat more.
Our cat, Nym, has to be on canned food because of his diabetes but he prefers dry. We use freeze-dried and air-dried foods for him as a treat or small meal along with the canned food because these are low in carbohydrates but still seem to mimic the taste and texture he wants. For whatever reason his preferred brands are Smack and Archetype (Wysong) but he has also been willing to eat Catit, Redford Naturals Duck, and Dr. Elsey's.

P.S.
Nausea is a far more common reason for cats hesitating to eat food than people think. Cerenia can be a life saver for a cat that struggles with nausea. Look for a cat suddenly not wanting a food they used to eat, drooling, vomiting, shivering, sitting in a hunched up/loafed position (not stretching out to rest), staring at their food or water but not eating/drinking, begging but not taking the food you give them. I've even seen cats grind their teeth while eating due to nausea/stomach upset.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

My friend's cat also had trouble with Arcana after they moved the protein level up considerably. Magnus had trouble on Arcana too.

He did fine with some Purina Pro Plan. My friend did wellness awhile with her cats but eventually switched to Purina after some constipation issues as well.

so you can try some of you talk to your vet. cmshap cmshap had some trial and error to get the right amount of wet vs dry and might be willing to weigh in with some opinion.