Cat doesn't want to eat, can't go to the bathroom

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone this is my second post here, on my first post: Constipated cat acting weird after enema I mentioned my cat acting weird after having been done an enema, I ended up taking her to the vet to spend a couple days because she became dehydrated and my efforts at home weren't helping, she stayed for a couple of days (from thursday night to sunday morning) and they told me she could come home when she started eating and drinking water on her own, which never happened, I ended up taking her home because she was severely stressed and attacked one of the nurses, she also ripped her fluids and hurt her paw, I took her home and she looked so much better, she drank water and ate (dry food because she wasn't having it with the wet food, which I find weird because all my cats love wet food), now it's tuesday, and her water intake is fine, she is peeing normally, but she hasn't pooped, and she doesn't want to eat, she eats a couple of bites of food (wet and dry) during the day, but nothing else, she wants people food but I refuse to give her some because I'm afraid it will make her more sick, i'm giving her laxatives as prescribed by the doctor with no luck, he mentioned something about an obstruction but I looked up for symptoms and she is not lethargic, she's not throwing up, she's not dehydrated, her X-RAYS showed nothing and she won't stay calm during an ultrasound so they can barely see anything, have you guys experienced anything similar? should I take her for an exploratory laparoscopy? If it's not an obstruction, what could be wrong?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did they attempt an ultrasound without sedation and tell you that they could not see anything because the cat was fighting them? My cats have all needed sedation for ultrasounds for the same reason. Or did they not try to do the ultrasound because they took her out of her kennel and she fought them so they gave up trying? I would do a sedated ultrasouns UNLESS there is a good reason for not using sedation, which of course, they have to use for a laparoscopy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-im not a vet but in my mind, she had an enema and hasn't eaten much, and she doesn't yet have enough built up to poop out.

What does the vet say about her lack of appetite? Keep giving her the Pedialyte, and some kmr, and raw goat milk.

Is there something here that might help?
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
thank you for the article, i'll try some of it out, they told me when she was hospitalized that they ran another X-RAYS and saw her stomach a bit inflamed (don't know if that's the right word), so they think she developed gastritis and that's why she isn't eating, they think she can't eat because of the constipation, also, when they did those X-RAYS they told me she still has some poop in her intestine, she just can't get it out, i'm thinking of taking her to another vet for a second opinion

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they attempt an ultrasound without sedation and tell you that they could not see anything because the cat was fighting them? My cats have all needed sedation for ultrasounds for the same reason. Or did they not try to do the ultrasound because they took her out of her kennel and she fought them so they gave up trying? I would do a sedated ultrasouns UNLESS there is a good reason for not using sedation, which of course, they have to use for a laparoscopy.
yes, they told me they didn't recommend an ultrasound because she's feisty, they didn't mention a sedated ultrasound and I didn't think of asking for one, they told me another choice would be a radioactive tracer, and then they can see where the tracer ends up in without needing surgery

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sedation is entirely possible for an ultrasound. If you are considering procedures, ask about which one would be the most effective in the case of your cat, give you the most information at one time so that you don't have to do repeated procedures. I am not criticizing your vet at all, but I am surprised that they did not mention sedation.

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sedation is entirely possible for an ultrasound. If you are considering procedures, ask about which one would be the most effective in the case of your cat, give you the most information at one time so that you don't have to do repeated procedures. I am not criticizing your vet at all, but I am surprised that they did not mention sedation.
it's okay, like i mentioned in another comment i'm taking her to my cat's usual vet unless we have to go on full lockdown this week, I took her to this vet because when she was sick it was friday at like 11:00 pm and the vet I usually take her to was closed, I continued going there because they treated her during the emergency but now I'm worried they're only trying to look for stuff to charge me with because all they mention is expensive procedures