Constipated cat acting weird after enema

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, it’s my first post but i’ve been lurking on the page for a while, my cat (female/5yo) has been constipated so i took her to the vet on saturday and she was prescribed laxatives which weren’t working so today i took her to get an enema because I saw she had a piece of poop stuck but it was too dry and she couldn’t get it out, they took x rays and saw that there was a lot of poop and they got most of it out but there was some left over that she would be able to pass through, which she did, they saw nothing wrong on the x-rays but the poop, now we’ve been home for about four hours and she doesn’t want to eat or drink water, she’s moving and has been to her litter box but i see her breathing heavily with her mouth open, i pinched her skin and saw it went down slowly so she’s dehydrated, i’m assuming because of the enema, so I called the vet and he told me to give her a bit of pedialyte to rehydrate her, I haven’t given her the pedialyte yet but I wanted to ask for your opinion, have you ever had a similar problem? Did your cat need hospitalization? Thank you in advance

Laffen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she drinking water? If she don’t drink much water maybe that’s why she has constipation...just a thought

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the vet mention subQ fluids? You can administer at home or they can do it at the office if she is seriously dehydrated. I would stay in touch with them if she does not improve. She might just be upset and down because of the procedure but I would watch her behavior and monitor the dehydration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking water? If she don’t drink much water maybe that’s why she has constipation...just a thought
she drinks plenty and she’s been on a wet food + water diet, the vet said maybe the cause it was hair balls, right now she isn’t drinking water and that’s why i’m worried because she just had an enema

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet mention subQ fluids? You can administer at home or they can do it at the office if she is seriously dehydrated. I would stay in touch with them if she does not improve. She might just be upset and down because of the procedure but I would watch her behavior and monitor the dehydration.
yes he told me to keep an eye of her, he didn’t mention subQ fluids but if she continues this way i’ll bring her in, I was curious because I don’t know if this can be an effect from the enema

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Enemas are definitely dehydrating but that should be treatable with fluids or pedialyte. I wonder if she is in discomfort from it which is very hard to assess. If she does not return to normal I would definitely take her back.

abivz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Enemas are definitely dehydrating but that should be treatable with fluids or pedialyte. I wonder if she is in discomfort from it which is very hard to assess. If she does not return to normal I would definitely take her back.
thank you, I’ll keep a close eye on her