Cat Doesn't Wanna Cuddle.

dustytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a male cat, he's really affectionate, but he like won't stay with me unless I'm petting him constantly. Like I can keep him in my lap for 15-20 min if I'm petting him, but the second I stop petting him, he jumps right out. My other cat will sit on my lap as long as she likes even if I'm not petting her constantly.
Is there any way I can encourage him to just hangout with me even if I'm not actively petting him? Obviously, I'm not looking to keep him trapped on my lap or anything if he doesn't want to be there, I just think it'd be nice if he'd wanna stay and chill while I'm working on my laptop or doing homework assignments.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not, some cats just aren’t lap cats. But you could try laying a fleece or wool blanket across your laptop see if that encourages him to settle in for a nap.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a matter of gaining his trust or just time.He also may be a cat who will never be a lap cat but will show his love for you in other ways.

My male cat, Scaramouch, would never lay on my lap or let me cuddle him in any way. He would cry in protest and wiggle out of my arms if I tried to hold him.

But he showed love in other ways by staying close by my side no matter what part of the house I was in.

Nazneen123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about it
Give it some time and keep showing him some love and affection and he'll soon come around

I know what you mean when they sit on your lap

Fortunately my cat looks for every opportunity to do that

And it's a great excuse when he's sleeping on my lap and my wife asks me to do some work, I can say "I don't want to disturb Tigger :p" Lol

And especially in the winter, I don't mind the warm cuddles :)

Anyways, keep doing what you're doing and by the time you know it he'll be looking for ways to sleep on your lap

Last edited by a moderator:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Gohan would only sit in my boyfriend’s lap if he was on the floor or bed and cross-legged. Even then he’d leave the minute someone moved.

Suddenly he’s gotten much cuddlier, and will sleep on his lap and relax more. It was around the time our other cat died, and we moved to a new place. But whatever the cause, he started doing this after 9 years of not going on laps. So there’s definitely hope that over time he could change, but it’s hard to know for sure.