Cat Doesn't Sleep

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok So we let Famas out of kitty jail and transferred her to the bathroom with Murphy for good behavior.. but she's still under high surveillance. No incidents yet. BUT This girl doesn't sleep. She's annoying the hell out of her roommate. Even in kitty jail she never slept. She's practically ADHD. Why doesn't she sleep? She is up knocking things over at ALL hours of the day and night.. not to mention a nervous eater. When you walk in she runs to the food bowl. She is excessively affectionate. She's also INCREDIBLY stupid. Rolling around in the litter box like its catnip lmao I don't know if that's a symptom but I figure at this point everything is a symptom lol When I say this cat never sleeps I mean this cat doesn't even lay down. She's on a constant sugar high. Anyone else have a cat that just doesn't sleep? Not even a quick cat nap. She has such a high energy level and stamina for months! I would say it's a thyroid issue but she's not losing weight. She is in perfect health. There isn't even an explanation for her excessive urination before kitty jail. Tests were clean. Any thoughts??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
How old is she?

Rolling around in the litter could be an indication that her skin is itchy, or oily. The litter is either crumbly enough to help the itchiness, or helps dry her skin.
Try and keep the litter box as clean as you possibly can, and see if your vet would be ok if you add some fish oil to her diet for any possible skin/coat issues, and groom her as frequently as you can.

She probably runs to the food bowl either because she's hungry (do you keep some food out all the time - a high energy cat like this needs to eat a lot) or because that's where she gets attention. Do you play with her a lot? try a Da Bird wand toy.

Also, try some music - it's known to help relax cats. There's the app Relax My Cat, or MusicForCats . com.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy never sleeps:rolleyes: He's an Abyssinian, a breed that is super active. Some cats in general are just super active. No need to take the cat to the vet for a thyroid check or anything. Just give the cat plenty of playtime to try to wear out some of that energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is almost 3 years old.

Im not sure if its a skin issue.... she seems ok. no hair loss or anything.

there is always food in the bowl. Its more of an OCD nervous tick kinda thing she will eat 2 or 3 pellets and then walks in circles three times and back to being a hyper cat. I could walk out and walk back in a minute later and she does it again. It reminds me of a game involving liquor shots but with food. every time you see your human take a bite. everytime you hear a vacuum take a bite. oh look fresh litter gotta take a bite. Or oh omg god its the broom my favorite thing im gonna love all over it while she sweeps piss her off as I roll around in her dust pile and then take a bite walk in circles and use my squirrel tail like my OWN broom and make her work twice as hard.

She seriously reminds me of Kiki the island girl from that 90s nickelodeon show All That. maybe Ill rename her lmao

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Famas and Murphy.... lmao :flail::flail::flail:Kiki is the human form of Famas

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My punk finally calmed down when he was 7.5 years old. At 12 years old he can go without playtime provided he gets his outside bird hunting time. My point is I sympathize with you.

I guess you love your hyper punk and play with them more?

Maybe some food puzzles will help your girl be entertained through the night? That and a fan.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad I never heard of that show.or.saw it...omgeez I can't believe I even watched it...if your girl is hyper like that then she definitely needs more play time...if you Google Jackson Galaxy...he talks about cats who knock stuff over and it's really because they are bored...if human doesn't play with them they find ways to entertain themsleves...as far as litter box I don't believe it's a skin problem as much as a behavioral issues...as cats don't typically like to be in their urine or feces...hope this helped

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah famas is totally Kiki and her roommate Murphy is more like Fran lol it is the most accurate description.