Cat Doesn't Play, Even Ignores Red Laser

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, wanted to share this weird story.

Yes I know every cat is different but I have never seen a cat resisting a red pointer (laser) toy. This cat has some feral origins. The thing is this cat doesn't play, ignores toys, any kind of playful behavior is also ignored, yes, even red lasers. I have had cats and they are not new to me, this is weird.

The only time this cat went "far" was kind of playing with a tennis ball on the backyard, I trew the ball, the cat catched it and treated it like a prey... that was until the cat accidentally jumped hit the ball with the face and then the ball is dead to him. Other than that only grabs the ball laying on the floor, and acts like falling sleep.

No eyes problem, not deaf, no sensory limitations, the cat is just boring. All the medicines and vaccines up to date, etc blah blah, eating a lot, getting more fat every day, sleeping a lot, lazy, lazy cat. No problems on blood test, etc. Young cat!!!

Weird... I actually got tired trying to get this cat to play. Any similar stories??

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a couple of yards of curly ribbon? Tissue paper? Every time I curl some curly ribbon my cat comes running. Have you tried dragging the ribbon behind you as you walk slowly? What about the bird toy? Even the semi feral can't resist playing. Maybe you haven't found the right toys yet? (***obviously do not leave your cat unattended with the ribbon to make sure he doesn't eat it)

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't really enjoy a laser pointer either unless she's really in the mood but she plays with other toys like mice and ribbons.

Don't free-feed if your cat is getting fat. Their weight is your responsibility, they rely on you to keep them at a healthy weight.

Good luck trying to find toys and have fun!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pia isn't much of a player either, for some reason. I have yet to find any toy she will actually chase. I still "play" with her a bit just to engage her mind, but I have never gotten her to take more than a handful of steps, or get all 4 paws off the ground. It is really weird, because normally I can get a cat doing backflips! She will play with ground toys from a relatively stationary position, and she also likes "cat TV" (bird watching, video of fish, etc). But I've just accepted I'm never going to get her doing backflips.

That said, if your cat is not extremely interested in play, you really need to watch their diet. Fat kitties can develop health problems related to their weight, and you want to keep them in the healthy range. If they're getting fat, time to cut back and implement feeding times (no free-feeding!).

Being as lazy as she is, Pia can gain or lose weight very easily just depending on what and how much I feed her. I always keep tabs on if her weight seems to be changing when I try different foods, because she is so unmotivated to exercise, and she has a heart condition (which, come to think of it, might be why she's so lazy!). Given both those things, it's especially important she stay a healthy weight. But all kitties benefit from a healthy weight. Obesity is only a matter of whether it's going to cause problems now, or later, but it will eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes I tried everything suggested in this thread, no interest so far. Tennis balls, different colors, riboon, cord, bird/feather/kind of toys, etc.

The only two things that SOME... TIMES... catch his attention for a short period of time (and still acts like kind of bored) is (1) placing my hand below a fabric/cloth/sheet and move it as if it was some animal underground, but the claws are too sharp and shows little care, this is understandable because comes from no socialization, the cat is actually trying to catch/kill the "prey". The other (2) is placing a thin stick below the door while the cat is outside.

In both cases the cat sort-of-plays and just for a matter of seconds, quickly looses interest and sits there watching the nothing in some other angle. This is a weird behavior, and it seems like done on purpose. The cat might be in the backyard and when called might come, only to stop right in front of me and perform some yoga excersice. Whenever I approach the cat doesn't act like any other cat I had or known, instead it comes near, stops, and performs another yoga excersice (stretching).

The funny thing is... I've tried this: whenever the cat comes, stops and starts to stretch... I move ha ha, the cat stops, then moves placing himself again in front of me and tries to stretch again. I quickly move somewhere else and then the cat quickly moves again only to stop in front of me and tries to stretch again. It's like "WAIT, watch me stretching". Another weird thing is walking in front of me crossing lines and I have to stop to avoid stepping on him, then the cat stops and stretchs. Looks to me like an attention grabber.

I've been patient because he wasn't raised here, started coming and then slowly socializing, I had to be kind of patient with all those traits. About the food: I tried time after time to avoid free feeding but is time consuming and I can only invest some (it can be ridiculous an can't afford it, I mean I don't take 20 seconds, I have really tried for long) but started showing more and more interest on food only. Sometimes I do free feed him because I want to keep a full belly to avoid the cat from eating garbage or toxic stuff on the streets.

As any feral cat or semi feral, can't afford to just keep it inside cold turkey, it's been a process, slow process of socializing but things are not looking good. I've seen the cat has chapters of being really nice and then uninterested heavily protesting to be let out, this is a long story and despite all the things that have changed for the good, this cat has provoqued several messes and I'm starting to get tired of this, seems like a battle of who is going to tame who. I'm going to get him fixed in the following 10 days. Why not now? he was recovering from a fight, then recovering from eating something toxic. It's been a lot of expenses. I know sounds easy to critizice but it's a long story, I have tried... really. I believe all cats are alike but all are different, no cat is the same, still there are some difficult cases where the cat is not just difficult, just starts acting like wanting to irritate you (seems like a sign of intelligence).

I have rescued cats and other animals in the past, also had a long friendship with a veterinary (surgeon), is not that I have no clues on what's going on, it's just that this cat is proving to be a waste of my time. It's been two years...

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For quite sometime, the cat has used my car as his appartment, I mean the cat used to just come and go, so I started leaving the window open (can't afford a cat door on my door, it's metal and I don't want to cut it, feels like a bad idea giving the evidence, electric or automated doors are expensive and not available where I live, also have a backyard, nature around, bad idea for mosquitoes), the thing is when I opened the door in the morning (house door) the cat would come running out of the car towards me, then in front of me... stops, scratchs, looks elsewhere and waits. I was patient and let him in but over time I got tired of wasting precious time waiting for the cat to enter so now I'm trying to teach him a lesson: open door, doesn't comes in quickly? door is closed, no food. I've kept the cat inside home but is too messy, he comes from outside with 100% nocturnal habits so is a torture for both, I'm very nocturnal but I can't afford staying up late until 2am every day.

I had cats who got used to, this one is a difficult case. I've been very patient, tried keeping it inside cold turkey: a mess, or meowing every two seconds for hours, every-two-seconds. Yes I now "ignore him" well, I did. Still no long term results. I love cats and love this one but given the accummulated events my mind is just summing all the wasted hours... starting to think on stopping efforts.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of messes does he make in the house? When you say you're thinking about stopping all efforts, will you still feed him? If you've been feeding him for two years, then he might have become dependent on you.

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of messes does he make in the house? When you say you're thinking about stopping all efforts, will you still feed him? If you've been feeding him for two years, then he might have become dependent on you.
I'm very confusing on this... and guilt ridden.

First I now cats are not dogs, the purpose of having or adopting (taking care) of a cat is not about him becoming what I want or doing what I want, its about respect in many ways, freedom (with natural, understandable limits). I've been feeding the cat for two years and I know is now used to it, dependent, is now beautiful (not dirty or a sac of bones), but the cat is not completing the transition. It made huge progress from where it was.

My mind tells me:

There are house indoor cats, the ones you take care 24 hours x 7. There are cats that no matter what you do they are just street cats who just come by from time to time for food and you can't actually get them to evolve, and cats in the middle. I'm starting to accept this cat is in the middle with little hope on getting better.

It is easier to feed cats from time to time without growing attached, well is not easy but EASIER than trying to adopt a cat and then seeing he just won't evolve. I have read many stories of cats that no matter what... seem myserable living indoors and show all signs of feeling like a prisoner.

The cat can live like this, they are clever, but I don't want this cat to end up killed or poisoned, we know how some people can be. My only hope is to see some change after fixing it. This is the first case of a cat that doesn't quite get's it. This sucks, I don't feel bad or like a failure due to having other pretty cases and having this one not evolving past this stage, no I don't feel bad about it, I feel bad thinking about the possible logical future events. I do want the best for the cat.

You asked about mess: pees on forbidden places. Yes, the house is clean, there is a litter box with proper cat sand, etc. But it seems... this cat behaves in this area like another cat I had (that also came from nature), I mean they don't use one litter box, they need two. I will explain. Both cats showed a similar behavior: using one litter box/place for peeing and another one to defecate, two different litter boxes, not like any other cat I had using the same litter box.

I now have two litter boxes and the cat is just using one, ignoring the other... there is a backyard too, uses it from time to time. The thing is I know, in most cat cases the conclusion is "is your fault" I know, but remember I didn't have this cat from year 0, it comes from outside, mid feral, naturally aggressive (not mean, it's just self defense, fear) now is very kind. My hope is a change when fixed. Any comment is welcome.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats were feral. They are indoors only now. My boy cat cried for 2 weeks straight when I wouldn't let him outside anymore, but he is fine now. Is your cat getting enough canned food? Boy cats can have peeing problems if they don't get enough wet food or if their litter isn't clean enough. With my cats I dump clumping litter once a month, non-clumping litter once a week, and scrub out the boxes. Clumping litter has to be at least 3 inches deep to stay clean. Things also might improve after you neuter him. And if you bring him inside, he will most likely become more affectionate and fit into your life better. When cats live outdoors they pretty much do what they want.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket was feral until 4 months old when I got her. She would be fairly easy to turn into an indoor only cat; she was indoor only for the first few months I had her while socializing her. She is picky about her toys and prefers real feather toys. Not the treated and colors feathers but actual feathers. We have a small mom and pop pet store that carriers locally made toys and these feather toys are so fresh that they cause my allergies problems (I am highly allergic to birds). She doesn't like lasers either and ignores many toys. Catnip toys that really smell of catnip (like cosmic carrots) are the other toy that will sometimes grab her attention.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since your guy only seems to be interested in hunting live things have you tried training him to walk in a harness? Also some cats are only motivated by food. You can try setting up an agility course for food (like meat only baby food on a spoon... with just a lick for accomplishing a task.)

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, I've read ALL the comments, but can't quote them all :)

My boy cat cried for 2 weeks straight when I wouldn't let him outside anymore, but he is fine now.
Sounds terrible!!! I will try that thank you, I never needed or faced something like that (lucky me), we'll see how many days this cat cries. Yes the cat gets enough water, milk, canned food, dry food and sometimes some chicken (very rarely) I know they get all they need from official healthy food. Lucky me he is not a begger, doesn't actually like the home-food (all the others cat I have known do go crazy about it)

Since your guy only seems to be interested in hunting live things have you tried training him to walk in a harness? Also some cats are only motivated by food. You can try setting up an agility course for food (like meat only baby food on a spoon... with just a lick for accomplishing a task.)
Sounds nice. Well, harness? this is funny, tried that on other cats, they hated it, never got them to tolerate it.

But this one? no harness, no, but he joins me for walks around home, when he was feral in transition and we were becoming friends, around the time he was beginning to eat from my hand and allowing to be touched... accidentally discovered that if I went walking outside, the cat would follow me. He hates strangers, but walks at my side, waits for me while I do whatever I have to do out, even in the nature, and then walks back home with me. I know this cat just loves the outdoors, no walls, no doors. I sometimes take food with me in case I find animals on my way around the house (closed environment with small forest) and I get this cat to come, eat some and continue walking with me.

I might try the harness, it is good that he walks with me but can't trust the environment, something might freak him out and run, I know the best place is at home.

Feel better now, will try and update, this is going to take more weeks.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't give yourself enough credit. If your cat goes on walks with you, you are doing great! Keep up the good work and please don't give up on this boy. :)

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't give yourself enough credit. If your cat goes on walks with you, you are doing great! Keep up the good work and please don't give up on this boy. :)
Thank you!, I'm working some more on this, will update on a few weeks.

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately things don't look good. The cat meows very two seconds for hours straight when kept in the house. Some days have been better, some days a terrible nightmare. This was 4.25 hours with no sleeping quality, been awake, he just wanted to be let out, health is good, food, water, litter. I reached a point where I can't help to remember other cats, kind of compare and feel stupid, not to say how I feel during the day while the cat sleeps after couldn't let me sleep, as if I had nothing to do, work and stuff, this is affecting my quality of life. Meow every two seconds??? I need to rest.

It hurts me to realize nobody will adopt this cat, but life is hard enough for me to keep investing time and money after the experience and attempts draw a curve going down after going up (it never got better than X). Not to mention all the time I wasted cleaning stuff, like the couch were the cat urinated twice.

It comes a moment were no matter how much I care about an animal, started to wonder what I'm doing to myself, this is not good, if I were a parent with a grown up son... I would tell him "son, is time to stop".

If I had lots of money, free time, no work or budget needs, just dedicating my life to the cat then maybe, but that's not my life. Took time for the headache to go away, need to sleep, cat will be sleeping by the day while I feel like. Tried my best, had cats in the past, been there, took care of them when sick and died in my hands until the last heart beat... that's my way of dealing with current guilt because I've been able, been strong, didn't just pet the cat and said "too difficult" nope, I tried.

Thanks for the advice, I will try to rest, this cat is loosing my sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When are you getting him neutered? This will help because he will no longer be wanting to go outside to find a mate.

explorador

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had ill cats, terminally ill, seen cases at the vet where I used to go, visit and stay. This cat is healthy but still manages from time to time... to meow as if he was in pain, every two seconds, for hours, it drives me nuts and can upset any neighbour, feel my head weird for having so little sleep over and over. This is not fun, I know it wasn't going to be fun, I've rescued cats and other animals before. Healthy cat, once outside shuts up. Tried my best not giving up and not giving what he wants but this is way too much.

Hurts because will end poisoned (again) and probably dead, there is evil in the world towards cats but I guess one can't save every cat, not even from themselves.

When are you getting him neutered? This will help because he will no longer be wanting to go outside to find a mate.
(PAST) Cat was lovely but got on a fight, ended up injured so I took him to the vet, was in recovery and I was about to neutuered him but the cat got poisoned/intoxicated, things got ugly but survived thanks to medical help. So the cat was in recovery too, just brought him to the vet for the tests and get an answer on WHEN is the best date considering his recovery from the intoxication.

I will have him fixed as my last effort. I hope he gets better soon both to be ready for the surgery and in behavior. I know they are not evil, they just act by nature, but hey... is the first cat with this nature I face. Feral cats are something else, the transition has been good!, slowly but with progress, it's just that hasn't improved for quite some time. I consider this the most important chapter because at the end if you want to save a cat's life and keep him healthy, alive, the cat must live indoors, or at least on a controlled area indoors + backyard, not on the streets. So this was to me the most important transition, is not working. I provide what's needed but still, it is a real pain to clean a peed couch.

One of my conclusions is his inability to engage on games, why? every cat must drain some energy, natural energy to avoid him from getting bored, to keep a healthy life. This cat doesn't engages on that and I believe it is affecting his night behavior. Some cats do the almost full transition from night to day, some don't, anyway they sleep like 16 hours so it's not like they will be mid day awake and mid day sleeping, but this one sleeps too much. Again: the cat is healthy, no health problems. The wait for the tests is to make sure he recovered from the last episode and make a safe bet on anesthetics.

Thank you everyone.

I came to this site by this thread:
Guilt ridden about giving up on a new cat.

The title fits what I feel (the content of the thread is about something else).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who poisoned him, somebody outside? Poor little guy, I wonder if the poison hurt his kidneys.