Cat distant since new kitten

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello guys I have posted a while ago, about the introduction from Milo (now ca. 16 weeks old) to Sammy (2 years old) and about that Milo tried to nurse on Sammy, which stopped. I would say the introduction went well, but I'm encountering another problem. I feel like Sammy stopped caring for me. He rarely wants to cuddle anymore and absolutely doesn't want to play with me.

Before, we would chase each other and playfight, he would play fetch too like a dog without end. He doesn't like being picked up anymore, before he loved to be carried around like a baby. Now he makes a pitiful chirping/meow sound when I pick him up. Usually he only makes that sound when he gets scolded while doing something which he knows we don't like, like breaking into the closet or when we pick him up from things he knows he shouldn't do like getting under our Boxspring bed when the mattress isn't fully on it (We can't get him out once he's under without removing the heavy mattress). It's like he doesn't want to show Milo that he's vulnerable like this? I don't know.

Sometimes I'm not sure if they are playing or fighting. They chase each other a lot and when they play they often do so with wagging tails and airplane ears but there's no hissing or growling. Sammy played with airplane ears with me but I worry they are more fighting. Sammy also bites Milo often in the neck for which Milo makes noise. It doesn't seem to really hurt but it's more uncomfortable for him? I check his neck daily but there are no injuries. I guess it's not really too hard but maybe more uncomfortable because Sammy only has 3 fangs? Everytime Sammy stops Milo always bounces back tho and attacks him again like nothing happened. It definitely confuses me. Is this just roughhousing or do I have to worry?

They aren't really cuddling but sometimes one licks the other a short few seconds and they lay next to each other. But in overall sense I feel like Sammy is more distant. He spends a lot of time behind the couch which is either because he's distancing or its because its summer. Our apartment gets really hot because we live right under the roof and it's the coolest behind the couch. (he has a cooling mat but ignores it lol).

So I'm puzzled. I do think Sammy is sometimes annoyed from Milo because he attack his tail, then again I think they enjoy playing a lot and in other moments I feel like Sammy is unhappy and jealous. For example he leaves once he sees Milo is on the bed with us. But in the same time he really sometimes enjoys playing and makes playful noises.

Its just so confusing. I'm stressed because I worry Sammy is unhappy and both me and my boyfriend are heartbroken because he stopped being affectionate. He's like a baby for me so it hurts. Maybe I'm just worrying too much as it's only been two weeks and a few days but I definitely need reassurance or another opinion.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for taking the time to read this

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
((((HUGS))))) yes time and patience and acceptance of a whole new family set up for all the family members....Time too for you to adjust? it was always going to be different. Babies grow up.. Let time pass..Cats have different relationships than we do so they cannot be compared as you are doing? Let your beloved cat be a cat as welll as your companion? They are both cats and cats act as they do not as we do! Let him be happy and fulfilled in the way he chooses.. Life is full of changes is it not? Accpet then and enjoy them. Stand aside and watch them being cats .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
((((HUGS))))) yes time and patience and acceptance of a whole new family set up for all the family members....Time too for you to adjust? it was always going to be different. Babies grow up.. Let time pass..Cats have different relationships than we do so they cannot be compared as you are doing? Let your beloved cat be a cat as welll as your companion? They are both cats and cats act as they do not as we do! Let him be happy and fulfilled in the way he chooses.. Life is full of changes is it not? Accpet then and enjoy them. Stand aside and watch them being cats .
Thank you, I'm just always worried, its hard for me to tell if Sammy is happy or not with having a little buddy because that's why we got Milo in the first place - we were worried that Sammy is lonely especially when we're working. We want him to have a friend, so it would be sad if he were unhappy with this.
I too would be sad because Milo is such a little angel, he purrs as loud as he can as soon you are near him.

I tested if Sammy is more open to cuddles and playing if Milo isn't in the same room and he's back to his old self when he is alone with me lol. He has always been super affectionate in a way I have never seen it before in a cat so it's a big change but I'm willing to accept it if he's happy having Milo as best friend. I cant wait to see them snuggle properly 😊

I guess Sammy is just as much adjusting as I am but I do hope though that he will be a bit more cuddly again cause I miss it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure all the dynamics have yet played out with these cats getting used to one another and forming their relationship, but it appears to be headed in that direction. However, another dynamic that might be playing out is a 'bond of interest', so to speak, whereby Sammy has another of his own (species) to identify with, and for now that could be taking precedence. It seems that could be the case, since he is just as attentive to you when Milo isn't around. Let it play out, I think Sammy will resume his previous affection for you, even when Milo is around, once the 'novelty' has worn off.

Last edited:

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please, can you stand aside a while, watch but let THEM work it out? They are CATS, not people. Respect that. Just it comes across that you are assessing in human terms... Just now I have two new wee cats and I am doing that with them. They need to find their way round, form their own binds ... I am abed and for the first time these wee ones are ON THE BED.! Ilove them dearly but they are cats not babies.. I love them as the cats they are..if that makes sense... They handle relationships etc very differently than the way we do and I deeply respect that . Try not to think in human terms? Hard at times but it will bear rich fruit I promise. It has taken foru days for these new wee cats to brae the bed after hiding under it... That was their battle not mine. I am delighted of course...But if I tried now to pet them they would be off...

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure all the dynamics have yet played out with these cats getting used to one another and forming their relationship, but it appears to be headed in that direction. However, another dynamic that might be playing out is a 'bond of interest', so to speak, whereby Sammy has another of his own (species) to identify with, and for now that could be taking precedence. It seems that could be the case, since he is just as attentive to you when Milo isn't around. Let it play out, I think Sammy will resume his previous affection for you, even when Milo is around, once thr 'novelty' has worn off.
Thank you for your answer, funny enough Sammy seemed to have read my complaining 🤣

After I came home from work all he wanted to do was to cuddle and talked a lot to me despite Milo being nearby and in general followed me around with his tail making a ?. When I went to play a PC game, he did what he always used to do, being my gaming companion. Snuggling on my desk in my arm while I played. That felt really reassuring.

I'm such an overthinker and probably making things out to be worse than they are. I'm struggling mentally a lot and he is always here for me. I love him very dearly. He's like I said like a baby for me so I do fuss a lot about him - To my defense he acts like one too a lot! He's basically still like a kitten in many ways.

I think the heat is the reason why he hides so much, it is barely bearable. We live right under the roof in an apartment house that was built right after the second world war, so it's not really heat and cold proof. Luckily we get a newly build flat next year where they have a balcony too. The summer won't be so unbearable and the cats will be more active again 😊

While at that, do you have any tips for what we could do for our boys so the summer isn't as bad for them? They sadly ignore the cooling mat completely

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Please, can you stand aside a while, watch but let THEM work it out? They are CATS, not people. Respect that. Just it comes across that you are assessing in human terms... Just now I have two new wee cats and I am doing that with them. They need to find their way round, form their own binds ... I am abed and for the first time these wee ones are ON THE BED.! Ilove them dearly but they are cats not babies.. I love them as the cats they are..if that makes sense... They handle relationships etc very differently than the way we do and I deeply respect that . Try not to think in human terms? Hard at times but it will bear rich fruit I promise. It has taken foru days for these new wee cats to brae the bed after hiding under it... That was their battle not mine. I am delighted of course...But if I tried now to pet them they would be off...
I know they are not people, I am simply asking for reassurance/advice from people who went through the same with their cats so I worry less. I'm someone who worries a lot in general. So it's good to have advice from people so I go easier on myself with all the worrying.

I'm very much aware that he's not a human baby. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old, so in some way he will always be that small kitten in my eyes which is normal, especially considering he absolutely kept the same behavior besides the new cat introduction. He's a super affectionate and super playful little guy. Like a kitten but in adult size lol

I'm not interfering their relationship, just simply asking about the things I'm observing because of the worries and checking on Milo to see if Sammy hurt him will roughhousing. They both get to roam freely in the apartment, are together during the night or when we are at work. They physically can and will take all the time they need, its just me who's worrying on the inside because I want my boys to be happy 😅

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While at that, do you have any tips for what we could do for our boys so the summer isn't as bad for them? They sadly ignore the cooling mat completely
Maybe 'trick' them to sit on the cooling mats for a while, but either instigating some play or giving them a few treats and/or pets? If they are on them for a bit, they might realize the benefit from them. Even try laying some enticing blanket or towel underneath the mats. Perhaps even, rub towels that have their scent on them on the mats, so they smell like your cats.

Short of that, do you have some fans on stands that you can run? If not on stands, some of the floor fans can have added meshing affixed to them so they couldn't possibly get their paws in near the blades. I have even heard of placing a frozen water bottle in front of a fan can help. Ice cubes in their water might be another thing to try.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe 'trick' them to sit on the cooling mats for a while, but either instigating some play or giving them a few treats and/or pets? If they are on them for a bit, they might realize the benefit from them. Even try laying some enticing blanket or towel underneath the mats. Perhaps even, rub towels that have their scent on them on the mats, so they smell like your cats.

Short of that, do you have some fans on stands that you can run? If not on stands, some of the floor fans can have added meshing affixed to them so they couldn't possibly get their paws in near the blades. I have even heard of placing a frozen water bottle in front of a fan can help. Ice cubes in their water might be another thing to try.
Thank you that is a good idea, I hope they will learn of its use and cool down. For now they lay a lot in the bathtub 🤔

Yes we have those but I was worried that the constant air circulation may cause eye or ear infections like it can with humans, especially since Sammy seems to be more prone to eye infections than most cats. If its safe I absolutely wouldn't mind getting a 3rd ventilator that is just running for them in the "cat room", so they can cool down. I don't mind the electric bill. Of course also only while at least one of us is home, letting electronics run without someone home seems a bit too dangerous for me. We both work in different jobs with always changing shifts so they are rarely alone longer than 2 hours 😊

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now they lay a lot in the bathtub
If you can buy more cooling mats, maybe place one in the bathtub, and then move it later to see if they follow the trail to its location. Might as well give Sammy a cooling mat where he likes to hide too, once he can experience the effects of that mat, maybe he will be more inclined to use the others.

I can't speak to whether or not the fans would attribute to eye irritation. I guess if the cats can't get that close to them - as in 'dust' in the air blowing directly in their faces, it probably shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can buy more cooling mats, maybe place one in the bathtub, and then move it later to see if they follow the trail to its location. Might as well give Sammy a cooling mat where he likes to hide too, once he can experience the effects of that mat, maybe he will be more inclined to use the others.

I can't speak to whether or not the fans would attribute to eye irritation. I guess if the cats can't get that close to them - as in 'dust' in the air blowing directly in their faces, it probably shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Thank you, I will do that! Then I will definitely tell my Partner its time to buy a 3rd fan and make sure it's not blowing too close to the ground where it could be harmful and see how it goes. You're very helpful ♥

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
2 weeks isn't a lot of time. I think it's recommended that at two weeks they are still barely aware of each others existence. your older boy is still taking it in. still adjusting. maybe set aside some time for each of them away f rom the other cat every night. take him into a separate room and have some play time or just watch a tv show with just him and let him do what he wants. give him some hard core treaters. some fresh salmon or canned tuna or whatever his favorite thing is. and do the same thing with the baby. but other than that yeah they're establishing their relationship with each other setting boundaries. give it a few months to totally settle (And I'll bet things are back to normal long before then)

its very very unlikely that the older one would hurt the younger one. the one piece of advice I will give though is keep their nails trimmed. they can give each other abscesses if they aren't. I had a pair of kittens that used to regularly send each other to the emergency room. regularly run your hands over their chest areas for anything unusual. abscesses can kill. those two cats are the ones who taught me to use nail trimmers on cats lol.

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything that's already been said about giving it more time and letting the cats work out their relationship a bit more before you can make any definitive assessment about what will or will not work, moving forward.

I don't have a ton of direct experience with cats, but I've been soaking up as much informatiom as I can over the last 8 years of living with my first cat. I tried an introduction to a family members' cat early on, which did not go well, but I since learned we did it all wrong, and we did not give them nearly enough time to warm up to each other.

I don't really have much more to add that hasn't already been said. Just try to be patient. I understand the human instinct to want to get in there and just "fix" it. Even just in terms of dealing with a cat that seems withdrawn... we want to just give them love and make them happy. But cats don't work that way.

I grew up with dogs, who definitely respond more directly to human intervention like that, being pack animals. It was hard for me to put aside my instincts in dealing with a pet that came from all my years of experience with dogs. I had to learn that sometimes you just have to let cats be, and give them space and time, while providing love and security when they choose to seek it from you. It wasn't an easy adjustment at first.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello guys I have posted a while ago, about the introduction from Milo (now ca. 16 weeks old) to Sammy (2 years old) and about that Milo tried to nurse on Sammy, which stopped. I would say the introduction went well, but I'm encountering another problem. I feel like Sammy stopped caring for me. He rarely wants to cuddle anymore and absolutely doesn't want to play with me.

Before, we would chase each other and playfight, he would play fetch too like a dog without end. He doesn't like being picked up anymore, before he loved to be carried around like a baby. Now he makes a pitiful chirping/meow sound when I pick him up. Usually he only makes that sound when he gets scolded while doing something which he knows we don't like, like breaking into the closet or when we pick him up from things he knows he shouldn't do like getting under our Boxspring bed when the mattress isn't fully on it (We can't get him out once he's under without removing the heavy mattress). It's like he doesn't want to show Milo that he's vulnerable like this? I don't know.

Sometimes I'm not sure if they are playing or fighting. They chase each other a lot and when they play they often do so with wagging tails and airplane ears but there's no hissing or growling. Sammy played with airplane ears with me but I worry they are more fighting. Sammy also bites Milo often in the neck for which Milo makes noise. It doesn't seem to really hurt but it's more uncomfortable for him? I check his neck daily but there are no injuries. I guess it's not really too hard but maybe more uncomfortable because Sammy only has 3 fangs? Everytime Sammy stops Milo always bounces back tho and attacks him again like nothing happened. It definitely confuses me. Is this just roughhousing or do I have to worry?

They aren't really cuddling but sometimes one licks the other a short few seconds and they lay next to each other. But in overall sense I feel like Sammy is more distant. He spends a lot of time behind the couch which is either because he's distancing or its because its summer. Our apartment gets really hot because we live right under the roof and it's the coolest behind the couch. (he has a cooling mat but ignores it lol).

So I'm puzzled. I do think Sammy is sometimes annoyed from Milo because he attack his tail, then again I think they enjoy playing a lot and in other moments I feel like Sammy is unhappy and jealous. For example he leaves once he sees Milo is on the bed with us. But in the same time he really sometimes enjoys playing and makes playful noises.

Its just so confusing. I'm stressed because I worry Sammy is unhappy and both me and my boyfriend are heartbroken because he stopped being affectionate. He's like a baby for me so it hurts. Maybe I'm just worrying too much as it's only been two weeks and a few days but I definitely need reassurance or another opinion.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for taking the time to read this
I think you said it has only been two weeks so just try to calm down a little bit. Easier said than done I know from experience. It can take a few months or more for cats to adjust to a new cat etc.. I don’t see any red flags… they’re not injuring each other, growling and stuff like that. Just make sure your original cat knows that he is cat number one, and you still love him very much. Don’t let him feel neglected because of the kitten.

When I adopted Angie, Byron was horrified. He growled and swatted and scratched at us for about two weeks, and I thought it would never work out but in the end it did, and they became good friends. She was a crazy kitten, she wouldn’t stop jumping on him and his way of disciplining her eventually was to slap her in the head numerous times while she lay on the ground then she would just jump on him again a minute later lol. But after six months, she calmed down a lot. They are both at the bridge now. I wish we had had Byron to discipline Quinn when I got him because Quinn was a little kitten monster, and he needed older cat discipline.

3 of my boys wrestle play with each other a lot and Quinn and Zena bite each other on the neck frequently but there’s no injuries, that is normal wrestle, play behavior for a lot of cats.

* I forgot to mention that normally when you bring a new cat or kitten into your home, you’re supposed to isolate them in their own separate room for at least a couple of weeks so the new cat realizes this is not his territory and the original cat can get adjusted just smelling him and they can smell each other through the door etc. There are introductions where people don’t do that, and everything works out right away but you never know so it’s always a good idea to do that probably.

Last edited:

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone is still reading this but I thought I might want to give a little update. Things have gotten a lot better!!

Positive:
• Milo and Sammy both lay in our bed now when we cuddle them without Sammy leaving as soon as Milo is there

• Sammy is his old self again. He greets us at the door and in the morning when we open the bedroom door - together with Milo! - He cuddles and talks a lot again, for which I'm very grateful

• They both exchange headbutts and licks, no full cuddle sessions yet but I think this will come soon too

• We are currently looking at mobile ACs for the bedroom and the cats will get the fans in the living room and in the cat playroom. Also Milo uses the cooling mat!! Luckily the next few days will be less hot according to the weather forecast

• Milo seems to feel fully at home now, he's confident and relaxed. He already adopted a lot of Sammys behavior too like talking a lot and greeting us excitedly at the door

•They have two litterboxes because we didn't know if they liked to keep it separate but they use both

• Sammy is also no longer naughty during the night, he used to empty the bathroom bin ever night until to a point where I taped it shut. He also emptied drawers a lot. Once opened a kitchen drawer and dragged a whole bag of onions right in front of our door too (We store them differently now). This was one of the reasons we got Milo, he clearly is bored during the night alone

Negative:
- Sammy has a little nick on his left ear, though I'm not sure if it's from Milo or self caused. I know this sounds crazy but we already spent like 1000€ on him for vet costs in the first year because that boy is not careful at all. He broke off one of his upper fangs while I was at work and my partner was sleeping before he was even a year old. We assume he missed a jump on the glass table in the living room, in the new flat we will get a wooden one. He also once managed to rip off an entire claw during the night. He even sallowed a toy mouse we got from the vet. Only found out later when we found the extremely wet stinking mouse on the couch that he threw up. Luckily he did because it could have gotten dangerous especially without us knowing. Since then we are very careful with the sizes of toys and not leaving anything laying around. This boy got no survival instincts at all, a typical chaotic orange cat, but we love him

Thanks for the reassuring replies and ideas. I do think we might have introduced them too fast which is on me and I'm glad we were lucky and things went well. In the future I will not do it like this again ♥

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone is still reading this but I thought I might want to give a little update. Things have gotten a lot better!!

Positive:
• Milo and Sammy both lay in our bed now when we cuddle them without Sammy leaving as soon as Milo is there

• Sammy is his old self again. He greets us at the door and in the morning when we open the bedroom door - together with Milo! - He cuddles and talks a lot again, for which I'm very grateful

• They both exchange headbutts and licks, no full cuddle sessions yet but I think this will come soon too

• We are currently looking at mobile ACs for the bedroom and the cats will get the fans in the living room and in the cat playroom. Also Milo uses the cooling mat!! Luckily the next few days will be less hot according to the weather forecast

• Milo seems to feel fully at home now, he's confident and relaxed. He already adopted a lot of Sammys behavior too like talking a lot and greeting us excitedly at the door

•They have two litterboxes because we didn't know if they liked to keep it separate but they use both

• Sammy is also no longer naughty during the night, he used to empty the bathroom bin ever night until to a point where I taped it shut. He also emptied drawers a lot. Once opened a kitchen drawer and dragged a whole bag of onions right in front of our door too (We store them differently now). This was one of the reasons we got Milo, he clearly is bored during the night alone

Negative:
- Sammy has a little nick on his left ear, though I'm not sure if it's from Milo or self caused. I know this sounds crazy but we already spent like 1000€ on him for vet costs in the first year because that boy is not careful at all. He broke off one of his upper fangs while I was at work and my partner was sleeping before he was even a year old. We assume he missed a jump on the glass table in the living room, in the new flat we will get a wooden one. He also once managed to rip off an entire claw during the night. He even sallowed a toy mouse we got from the vet. Only found out later when we found the extremely wet stinking mouse on the couch that he threw up. Luckily he did because it could have gotten dangerous especially without us knowing. Since then we are very careful with the sizes of toys and not leaving anything laying around. This boy got no survival instincts at all, a typical chaotic orange cat, but we love him

Thanks for the reassuring replies and ideas. I do think we might have introduced them too fast which is on me and I'm glad we were lucky and things went well. In the future I will not do it like this again ♥
Great progress 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻😻 I wouldn’t worry about the nick probably does not need medical attention and it’s nothing serious.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Great progress 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻😻 I wouldn’t worry about the nick probably does not need medical attention and it’s nothing serious.
Yes it makes me very happy that things have gotten better, I'm very proud of both of them too they are doing a very good job!

The nick already seems to be healing and there seems to be no swelling or similar so I'm not worried. Probably easily to compare to us humans accidentally getting a little scratch, nothing serious 😊

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way they are already getting along, expect rougher play. As Milo gets bigger Sammy will be less careful. It will look sacary but as long as they both come back for more all is good.

Yes, accidents can happen. Since there was only 1 it sounds like Milo knows how to play with soft paws but he is still young and can get overexcited and forget. I suggest trimming both of their nails. Watch some videos on how to do it. At 16wk I'd check Milo weekly. The nails grow fast at that age and are extra sharp. Sammy probaly once a month is enough. When they are sleepy is the best time. While we were teaching our kittens that trimming time was safe we used squeeze treats. I'd hold the treat under their nose, squeezing very slowly, and my partner trimmed their nails. They were more interested in the treat than what was going on with their feet. Don't worry if you can't get all the nails done in one session.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were more interested in the treat than what was going on with their feet.
Good advice about regularly trimming nails to avoid accidental injuries between the two cats.

I'll just add that if you do have a cat who is weird about feet touching (like mine was), you can acclimate them to it before trying to trim the nails. I had to get him used to grabbing his feet and pushing on the paw pads first, by just doing that and giving him a treat for a while.

He's still not entirely cooperative with nail trimming, but he's a difficult cat as far as that one issue goes. I literally can only do one nail at a time sometimes. Most is about 3 at a time before it's out of the question to keep trying.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it makes me very happy that things have gotten better, I'm very proud of both of them too they are doing a very good job!

The nick already seems to be healing and there seems to be no swelling or similar so I'm not worried. Probably easily to compare to us humans accidentally getting a little scratch, nothing serious 😊
I can see you're certainly an overthinker but I am ecstatic that all that overthinking,worrying and fuss is over Sammy & Milo!!!!!You are a pet parent,you're supposed to be concerned about EVERYTHING - so don't even give that a second thought,not here with the rest of your own kind,lol
Your 2 are doing wonderfully and don't forget that your Sammy is getting past those terrible twos ( lol) he's maturing and hes also adjusting to a new family dynamic- even if he's less cuddly at times does not mean he feels any differently towards you --- Pat yourself in the back,doing a fine job
I hope it's okay that I mention one thing ,please don't take offense because it is not meant to offend but to encourage....you talked earlier about "scolding" Sammy-theres much better ways to discourage undesirable behavior without scoldings,cats only associate scolding with your being angry or displeased AT them & don't understand WHY....So just for future,if ever- don't yell at Sammy,this can break trust and instill fear,it can very well be part of the reason Sammy backed off from being affectionate ( or not) but it's worth considering
We, humans often "react' ...... Just try to remember that kitties don't understand--- I've had people tell me "oh yes he does,when I yelled at him he knew exactly what he did and was ashamed,he hid".... So you see,they don't ", reason "as we do and there's better more positive ways to reinforce good behavior ....I hope you receive my words as they are intended,for good and for the best relationship you and your fur babies can have