Cat Died But Don't Know Why

MelyssalovesZayden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I just had to put my cat down yesterday but the vet never gave us a diagnosis so I'm hoping I can get some answers here.... We came home from being gone all day to our 6 year old male tabby howling in his room almost like a peacock, very loud. We see him on his bed with pee behind him and bile thrown up in front of him. He was panting and had foam at the mouth, looking very distressed. We did notice he looked very skinny and that was odd because he didn't look this skinny the day before even. He also didn't eat any food yesterday and he was inside the full day, he did not go out once. I gave him his flea treatment which is Advantage 2 for large cats that morning before we left. This was at 9pm so we had to rush him to the after hours emergency vet 30 mins away. They said his blood sugar was low, temperature was low and wasn't getting enough oxygen. They tried to stabilize him but they said he still wasn't doing good after 20 mins and he might not make it. Plus further tests would rack up to $1,000+. Knowing he was in pain and the doctors weren't going to help us find out what was wrong with him without more money, we decided to put him down.... Does anyone have the slightest clue what could have happened to him? I also found more throw up of actual food in his litter box with a red bell pepper looking thing in it.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to read of your shocking experience, it must have been terrible for all of you.
And I'm sorry that your cat felt so sick. The only thing that comes to my mind is that your cat might have eaten something toxic.
Have you any clue what that red item might come from? Or what it is? Have you ever seen it in the house?
Some plants have fatal results on pets. Could your cat have eaten it outside your home? Was he allowed to roam outside?
The panting and the foam along with the low temperature sound like poisoning.
Rat poison maybe?
I'm truly sorry for your loss, RIP beautiful angel :frown:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you went through this. I can't be of any help as to what happened. It certainly sounds like something catastrophic in nature and a heart wrenching decision needed to be made quickly under horrible conditions. I think you made the right decision for your beloved friend.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That red bell pepper thing could be the culprit. It does sound like a poison. The Advantage applied could be the culprit too, especially if he could reach it on his neck and lick it. If he got enough it could be a serious problem. Cats can be like acrobats when trying to reach something like this, I apply it almost between their ears because my cat licked it once and foamed and became sick, though recovered. In the future I would observe any other cat after applying something like this, never on a weekend, and in the morning.
My heart goes out to you, this is a horrible thing to have happened. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.