Cat Diagnosed Today With Large Cell Gastric Lymphoma

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

I'm in quite a state and just joined some hours ago. Please forgive me because I have not had any sleep in 48 hours and I am truly crushed.

I wanted to see if anyone could offer advice or tell me what their cat went through. The internist said that it is gastric, not intestinal but I understood it to be called gastrointestinal if it occurred anywhere in the GI tract. He also said that gastric has better odds. I'm so afraid for my cat. He has muscle wasting and is in the corner in the closet. The vet pulled strings and he sees the oncologist tomorrow to commence chemo.

Briefly, my boy was vomiting. I changed his diet, started cooking etc. He had normal labs and physical. I took him every 4 months once he hit 11 or maybe 10, I'm too upset for the specifics right now. Anyways, I took him again in May and he had labs drawn, a physical and an ultrasound performed. All was normal. About August 13, he stopped eating after a lot of vomiting. I got him in on 8/17. He had a very high WBC count and he started meds and the vet recommended an endoscopy.

I went in circles trying to get an endoscopy performed at a very good hospital out in Jersey but they were booked solid and the internist I trusted was away on vacation. His appointment was set for 9/5. Also, he had been started on some drugs and had a miraculous change, he was perfect for 8 days. Then crashed. I tried to get him in earlier to no avail. I took him back to his regular vet for supportive care and we decided my boy cant wait another day. I took him to a hospital in NYC and the internist said he thought he had lymphoma. His stomach lining was now several times thicker than normal under ultrasound and he was thin and vomiting. He did a needle aspirate. This morning he called and confirmed he has large cell gastric lymphoma.

I keep looking in the closet to see if he is alive. He is suffering.

Please, can you tell me what your experiences were? Anyone's cat have large cell lymphoma? What did you do? How long did they live and what was the quality of their life? Do they ever become themselves again at all? Did you use supportive supplements?

I am horribly devastated because he is losing his life. I don't want him to lose his life, he wants to live but he is in so much pain. I don't know what I did to cause him to get cancer, Ive reviewed it over and over. But now I must focus on him, completely. Any experience, tips or advice is well appreciated. Feel free to be blunt.

Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know. I don't have the experience, but I did not want you to go one more moment thinking that you are alone with this. You have a community now, and more of us will be finding this thread. Some of those may have answers for you, ALL of those will be reaching out to support you and your cat.

I am hoping that this article may give you some help until others more knowledgeable than I find your thread.
Living With Feline Cancer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I don't have the experience, but I did not want you to go one more moment thinking that you are alone with this. You have a community now, and more of us will be finding this thread. Some of those may have answers for you, ALL of those will be reaching out to support you and your cat.

I am hoping that this article may give you some help until others more knowledgeable than I find your thread.
Living With Feline Cancer
Thank you for your kind words. I do feel very alone and afraid . I can't stop crying because I know he is afraid and in pain. I want to take the suffering out of him and give it to me, I would do anything to make it stop. He is truly my child.

Thank you for the article . I've waa reading a lot prior to his diagnosis . I was and am sure he inflammatory bowel disease and so I had convinced myself he could not have lymphoma . I didn't know IBD can become lymphoma. It's always too late when we figure it out, in fact no one he has seen has ever mentioned this. He would have had a biopsy earlier and started chemo earlier . I'm so afraid his chances are ruined because of me. I don't know how it can all come back as normal then 3 months later, he is dying .

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His chances were ruined, if they indeed are ruined, not by you, but by vets who failed to completely and adequately explain to you what was going on with your precious cat, and don't you forget that for one moment! This sort of thing has happened to far, far too many of our members. Holding you both close in my heart.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that the two of you are going through this. I personally don't have any experience with feline cancer either but wanted to show you some support as well. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 is right. The vets let you down. You did nothing wrong. This is not your fault. You have done everything right so far. It's so obvious how much you love your little guy. You did not cause his cancer. He would not want you to be torturing yourself this way. He loves you very much.

Did the internist suggest any treatment options? Did they give you any advice or did they just diagnose him? Again, I'm so sorry that the two of you are going through this. I wish I could give you more. Please lean on us. We are here for you. :hugs:

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His chances were ruined, if they indeed are ruined, not by you, but by vets who failed to completely and adequately explain to you what was going on with your precious cat, and don't you forget that for one moment! This sort of thing has happened to far, far too many of our members. Holding you both close in my heart.
Exactly, well put. That was our case, once the diagnostic was made it was too late. Our cat Kitty had large cell lymphoma, he died 3 weeks after it was diagnosed, nothing we could do... He did not go back to normal, prednisolone helps, but once they lose weight and quit eating is pretty much the end with this awful disease.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your little guy :hugs:. What's his name, BTW?

I see that you're also posting on another thread concerning large cell lymphoma, and mentioned that you are no longer giving mirtazapine due to his sore esophagus. Did you know that you can get that particular medication compounded into a transdermal gel and rub it into his ear? That's how we used to give it to our old girl who had kidney failure.

I also wanted to say that cats handle chemo much better than humans. You'll probably find that out today during your oncology visit. And, lastly, I wanted to point you to this thread, about Lazlo, who lived an astounding FOUR years after being diagnosed with large cell lymphoma of the stomach. His Vet was in New Jersey, and his owner used not only Western medicine, but also Eastern medicine. Here is his thread: Ender - Large Cell Lymphoma

I've had three chronically ill cats with incurable diseases (all three kidney failure), so I know what it feels like to be in your shoes right now :alright:. However, with Lymphoma, I honestly don't think it was anything you did to cause this. With three cats with the exact same disease, I cannot say the same thing about myself :frown:. I beat myself up regularly and pray that I have learned from my mistakes and that my current furbabies wil be free of that issue. Now I don't even give them tap water. It's filtered water all the way.

Oh yes, one more thing. That food that you are making with the chicken thighs and rice and peas...are you adding in any supplements? What about organs and calcium? Was that mixture just to be temporary?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You certainly are not at fault.

There are chemo options if you want to try that, there actually are feline oncologists. We used to have a member here whose kitty had large cell lymphoma in his stomach. When he was diagnosed the vet couldn't understand how he managed to eat anything because there was so little room in his stomach. He did go into remission and lived for two years after going into remission. He actually passed from an autoimmune form of anemia rather than the return of the lymphoma.

The results that her cat got from chemo is not a sure thing but if that is something you want to try there may be hope.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most GI lymphoma is small cell. Large cell lymphoma is a much more aggressive form, and unfortunately I have had experiences with both. My cat with large cell did not have it in the GI track, but was probably on a similar chemo protocol that your cat will go through. Unfortunately, she did not respond well to the chemo and passed away 5 months after diagnosis. The chemo itself did not bother her, besides some minor upset tummy issues following administration. Large cell lymphoma is just an aggressive beast and the chemo could not help her in the long run. Hopefully your cat will do better, large cell lymphoma sucks :(

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still here. Let us know any and everything you find out![/QUOTE

Hi,
My boy had one dose of Elspar, another ultrasound and labs, $2800 for that and one small bottle of steroids/pepsid/zolfran. It's so bitter that it foams and comes out. I tasted it and it's awful. That little bottle was $140, pepsid is too bitter to be put in liquid but a nice way for them to keep gouging people. I paid another $2000 for his first ultrasound and 4 visits with medication at his regular vet but that was reasonable, he did labs too and took good care of my boy. But now I'm out of funds. I didn't know the internist confirming cancer and 1 visit with the oncologist and 1 Elspar would be $2800.

I don't know how I'll get his chemo next Thursday . I haven't left his side and I'm dying knowing he is suffering . He did perk up some the past 2 days. He ate well, drank water, purred, lied down on me and used his scratching post, he even climbed to the top of his cat house which he has not done in weeks.

I also got his radiology report and it reads worse than what the oncologist told me. She said it was in his lining but there are measurements given for a mass as well, I asked 3 times and was told no mass . And it's classified as "large".

I think with chemo he has a chance , I can't believe how cruel they are to make it so expensive . The oncologist wants another $10,000 to treat him not counting labs and ultrasounds . My friend started a gofundme but we only got to $190.

I have to help him, I don't know what to do, where to take him that's trustworthy and how to pay for it. Does anyon know a good oncologist in New Jersey or New York or Connecticut or anywhere , PA, I'll drive him anywhere if I can get the funds

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most GI lymphoma is small cell. Large cell lymphoma is a much more aggressive form, and unfortunately I have had experiences with both. My cat with large cell did not have it in the GI track, but was probably on a similar chemo protocol that your cat will go through. Unfortunately, she did not respond well to the chemo and passed away 5 months after diagnosis. The chemo itself did not bother her, besides some minor upset tummy issues following administration. Large cell lymphoma is just an aggressive beast and the chemo could not help her in the long run. Hopefully your cat will do better, large cell lymphoma sucks :(

I'm sorry about your cat. Yes, many don't respond to the chemo at all. The oncologist gave some estimates that don't match the research , those that do respond don't stay in remission long . He was normal by labs and ultrasound then 3 months later , raging cancer .

He had 1 dose of Elspar and I paid thousands . Now I'm broke and don't know how we will go next week.

The Elspar seemed to help , maybe it was the steroids , I don't know . But he got some function back .

I can't imagine life without him and don't want to. I've dropped everything to be by his side .

Thank you for letting me know about your cat . I want to get an idea of his chances . Another poster said her cat lives 4 years but she had some amazing oncologist for kitty that tailored treatment and she did some herbal things , I got confused reading the thread because it didn't specifically say how it was tailored or who she saw or what herbs , I wish I could speak with her .

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You certainly are not at fault.

There are chemo options if you want to try that, there actually are feline oncologists. We used to have a member here whose kitty had large cell lymphoma in his stomach. When he was diagnosed the vet couldn't understand how he managed to eat anything because there was so little room in his stomach. He did go into remission and lived for two years after going into remission. He actually passed from an autoimmune form of anemia rather than the return of the lymphoma.

The results that her cat got from chemo is not a sure thing but if that is something you want to try there may be hope.
I live in NYC but glad to drive hours, I can't find a feline oncologist and the oncologist I took him to in NYC is terrible , we are never going back . Does anyone know of a good oncologist , feline would be super but a good oncologist would be great too

He had 1 dose of Elspar last week . The cost for the visit and the consults, ultrasound and labs , $2800. I'm of little means , I'm drained . But I need to find him a dr so he can continue next week .

Please , does anyone know of a feline oncologist or oncologist ? Jersey , PA, CT, doesn't matter . Thank you

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your little guy :hugs:. What's his name, BTW?

I see that you're also posting on another thread concerning large cell lymphoma, and mentioned that you are no longer giving mirtazapine due to his sore esophagus. Did you know that you can get that particular medication compounded into a transdermal gel and rub it into his ear? That's how we used to give it to our old girl who had kidney failure.

I also wanted to say that cats handle chemo much better than humans. You'll probably find that out today during your oncology visit. And, lastly, I wanted to point you to this thread, about Lazlo, who lived an astounding FOUR years after being diagnosed with large cell lymphoma of the stomach. His Vet was in New Jersey, and his owner used not only Western medicine, but also Eastern medicine. Here is his thread: Ender - Large Cell Lymphoma

I've had three chronically ill cats with incurable diseases (all three kidney failure), so I know what it feels like to be in your shoes right now :alright:. However, with Lymphoma, I honestly don't think it was anything you did to cause this. With three cats with the exact same disease, I cannot say the same thing about myself :frown:. I beat myself up regularly and pray that I have learned from my mistakes and that my current furbabies wil be free of that issue. Now I don't even give them tap water. It's filtered water all the way.

Oh yes, one more thing. That food that you are making with the chicken thighs and rice and peas...are you adding in any supplements? What about organs and calcium? Was that mixture just to be temporary?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
I didn't stop giving him mirtazapine for that alone, it's complicated as these cases are . I live in NYC which I mentioned there too, it's not like the rest of the country , no, they're not going to give me the kind for his ear nor teach me how to give him fluids at home , they're only going to charge me 10 times what the rest of the country does and I don't know if they're actually telling me the truth . So far they've been lying , the nurse is on drugs and the oncologist was so disgusting and just "oversees", the residents do everything . They don't care to adjust or see the patient as an individual . They mistreated him, matted his fur and were so rough with him he bit a tech .

I'm looking for an oncologist outside NYC but no luck yet , if anyone knows , please let me know .

Thank you for pointing me to Lazlo's story , it was good to read but I didn't get much regarding specifics , I would like to contact his mother but she is off the board I think.

The food is temporary of course

Thanks for your reply

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very very sorry about your boy. Yes, I know NYC prices can gouge! I have an excellent Vet Oncologist here in PA outside Philly. Please PM me and I will discuss at length, perhaps give you some options and hope.

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I want to clarify again , if the vet in NYC did the best she could for my cat, the prices wouldn't be part of the discussion . No, I don't have another $10,000 for her , but my cat is not getting even decent treatment . It's not what people say that NYC is just expensive , it's one thing to sell a bar of gold and cheat and really give copper, it's entirely different to give someone a bar of plutonium that will kill them.

Deep down everyone here knows the truth . If they've ever been to the dr themsejves , they were lucky to get out alive . With animals , there is no recourse , no one cares . I can't even be sure they are giving him the drugs they say they're giving him. She said she gave him Elspar and it was printed on the $2700 bill, but elspar was discontinued indefinitely in the US since 2012! A compound pharmacy can get the single ingredient that was in Elspar , but it's unregulated pharmacies for pets only requires someone with a license works there , but there are a bunch of 18-20 year old kids getting minimum wage or less and making up the medications . This is where the hospital gets the "Elspar", I know , I found the pharmacy and went in anf it was quite illuminating but not the least bit surprising .

They lied and told me there were no tumors , he has 2! Measurements and all. They were worried if they told me everything, I would back off and not treat him , that's what kind of people they are . The nurse was clearly on drugs , she nodded off twice while talking to me , told me the pharmacy was out of state , forgot where she was and when I asked if my cat used the bathroom she told me she can watch my purse while I go #2. It went on and on, like a nightmare .

The oncologist only makes a few minute appearance , she doesn't do anything , they work their real jobs out in Long Island! the residents do it all and the drunk nurse does all the drug administration . This is at the great big manhattan hospital , there are no other choices ! That's it . So we are done there .

Last edited:

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so very very sorry about your boy. Yes, I know NYC prices can gouge! I have an excellent Vet Oncologist here in PA outside Philly. Please PM me and I will discuss at length, perhaps give you some options and hope.
I don't know how to PM, but i would like the name

My cat is making a lot of weird sounds coming from his stomach and intestines . Gurgling , has, fizzy, he wants to sit with me and then the noises start and he goes back into the closet .

------------------------
If anyone works for AMC in NYC and wants to direct me to that trash pit, save your suggestions and lies, they abused my cat and he only gets to see a resident , we are not interested .

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will private mail you. It should come as notice in your e-mail in box. Then look at the bar at the top of this thread at the envelope at the far right. You should see a number above it. Open it up and you should see conversations. Open it up.

PM refers to "private mail" which usually is for more in depth focused conversations with a member regarding a problem they are having, or if they are seeking specific information.

I am not with AMC...I don't even know what that is.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just wanted to remind you that, although I have nothing more concrete to offer you, I am here, I am keeping up with how things are going, and I CARE SO VERY MUCH!

:vibes::vibes::vibes:and many :hugs: