Cat Deterents

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Having cats for more than 45yrs and they still train and get the best of me!! I believe my 2 siblings are 16 months according to rescue. I am seeking advice training them to stay away from certain furniture items. I have scat mats which I consider great because they work when I'm not home. I always had them but the new ones are clear and blend it with floor covering. I have one on each end of the sofa, don't want them going behind sofa in the event of an emergency or vet visit, I will not be able to get them. I need something that works while I'm home. We all know they are like children and continue to try the same things hoping they will succeed and/or wear me out which is what usually happens. I have searched items that release a spray combined with a loud noise. I don't want anything that will frightened to the point where they will also stay away from me. The furniture item I don't want them on is my dresser, they knock over perfume bottles and everything else. Foil doesn't work, they tear and bite at it. I sprayed a water bottle in the air which did help. If I pick up the bottle they run but this only works when I'm home. Can't put a scat mat, these mats have to lie flat. If I let them into the bedroom I can't sleep they jump and play on the dresser, desk, knocking everything over. They have a room set up for their comfort, all my cats have enjoyed this room, none (until these 2) have ever been so destructive. No matter how I clean straightened things out, the room always looks like King Kong walked through. They not only take the window curtain down but rod included! Has anyone purchased cat deterrents from Amazon or a pet store? Thanks for the suggestions.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Good time of the year to check out Halloween items that are motion activated. Looks for ones that jiggle and make noise. It should work for on top of dresser. As far as the sofa, it shouldn’t be too difficult to block off the bottom and back with cardboard so they simply can’t get back there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good time of the year to check out Halloween items that are motion activated. Looks for ones that jiggle and make noise. It should work for on top of dresser. As far as the sofa, it shouldn’t be too difficult to block off the bottom and back with cardboard so they simply can’t get back there.
Hi Susan,
Thanks for responding, what a great idea. Did you ever have such a problem. The scat mats one on each end of the sofa really helps. I tried stuffing pillows, cardboard, some how they managed to take it all apart.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have been the scary thing that made noise when the cats went where they shouldn’t. However, I have also removed things like jewelry that I didn’t want them attracted to or playing with because making the spot less interesting is the best deterrent. As far as the Halloween stuff we are a BIG Halloween neighborhood and I have tons of motion activated stuff I have to put batteries and try out when getting ready to decorate. Learned from experience that cats don’t want to be anywhere near them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joey's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have been the scary thing that made noise when the cats went where they shouldn’t. However, I have also removed things like jewelry that I didn’t want them attracted to or playing with because making the spot less interesting is the best deterrent. As far as the Halloween stuff we are a BIG Halloween neighborhood and I have tons of motion activated stuff I have to put batteries and try out when getting ready to decorate. Learned from experience that cats don’t want to be anywhere near them.
Jewelry is in an appropriate box they can't get into. Having to put perfume and some special things a way, what a pain. The dresser is so full is a wonder how they are able to walk through, though they like to knock things down. They say a cat can walk through a table setting of expensive plates/glasses w/o knocking things over. I do believe that, had cats do that but these 2 rascals were raised in foster care, and weren't trained in any way. I believe kitten time is when one can teach and train, these cats are not bad cats, but did not get much attention. I will take your suggestion, which is very appreciated, and go to a nearby party supply store. I'll probably get something that will scare the hell out of me!