Cat dental aids/chews

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went to a new vet over the weekend (regular vet shutdown for the quarantine).
The vet there tried to talk me into getting dental chews treats, and some liquid to add to there was that helps their teeth.
She also told me to give the cats a COOKED chicken legbone to chew on once a week to help with their teeth-I did ask about this one, all I've read was to never give cats cooked bones. She said, a chickens leg bpne is too big to have the risks of smaller cooked bones,

Question, do cat chew/dental treat helps keep your cat's teeth clean? Does the water additive really fight tarter and plaque (sounds too good to be true)?
Is the bone thing true?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She also told me to give the cats a COOKED chicken legbone to chew on once a week to help with their teeth-I did ask about this one, all I've read was to never give cats cooked bones.
Please no :nono: Cooked chicken bones are dangerous as they are brittle and break easily after cooking and splinters from such bone will rupture the cat's throat when the cat swallows it and will puncture the intestines and stomach walls and the cat will bleed internally leading to death.

There are many other ways to clean the cat's teeth such as dental treats or dental chews or brush their teeth or plaque removal liquid added to the wet food or some use the brand Plaque Off for cats.

No cooked bones please.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed raw and don't use any sort of dental treats. Cooked chicken bones would not safe for a cat, they are small enough for a cat to work mostly through when raw and cooking makes them more likely to splinter as was already said. I don't recommend feeding cooked bones but you would want to stick to larger ones, like pork or beef that aren't going to break up or be small enough to swallow. Much of the cleaning action is accomplish through chewing, my cats eat raw bones that are covered in meat or larger boneless chunks and that keeps their teeth plenty clean. I have heard good results with the water additives but haven't looked into them and the idea is weird to me.