cat delivered 2 kittens so far but not sure if there is more

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also going to get there first (and only) set of shots around the same time.
Why are you only giving the kittens one shot? They need a series of them to fully inoculate and build the immune system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. We are taking them next Wed they will be 8 weeks. We are taking them and mom to get spayed and fixed and the kittens there shots. I will ask the vet then.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. We are taking them next Wed they will be 8 weeks. We are taking them and mom to get spayed and fixed and the kittens there shots. I will ask the vet then.
Well I'm just getting the first set of shots kittens need but will NOT continue to get them shots yearly or even every couple years and I'm not getting them rabies vaccine. They are indoor cats all of them and none of them have ever gotten regular shots. I believe it's a waste of money and don't want to keep pumping them full of chemicals. Sorry This was supposed to be in reply #81

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm just getting the first set of shots kittens need but will NOT continue to get them shots yearly or even every couple years and I'm not getting them rabies vaccine. They are indoor cats all of them and none of them have ever gotten regular shots. I believe it's a waste of money and don't want to keep pumping them full of chemicals. Sorry This was supposed to be in reply #81
They need the full kitten series in order to have protection. After that, you can think about the yearly vaccines. Don't skip these. It's their foundation. One set of shots is not effective.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't mean just one shot. I mean like the set of shots they will need to get. I'm talking about the yearly shots I'm not doing. But yes there first set of kitten shots over the course of however long they will get.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok so I have another question we just got mama spayed yesterday and we have an appointment tomorrow to get the kittens their shots would it be too much on them to get them dewormed and shots the same day? It just seems like a for a kitten to go through all at once I'm sure this place will do it but just because they will doesn't necessarily means that it's wise for me to have it all done at once.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worm meds are very safe from side effects. It should be okay to do both. I don't recommend the rabies shot until they are 6 months old.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wormed my horses on the same day as shots. Never had a side effect.
If Sarthur2 Sarthur2 says it's ok for cats also, I would trust that.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I don't know what I would have done without all the amazing advice and help I've gotten on here. Its definitely made this process of raising these babies a lot more smooth. Here is some updated pictures of them. Both are well over 2.5 lbs and eating mainly there own food now and not nursing much anymore.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How cute! They look very healthy!

It's great to hear that all is well. :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so on the 13th we switched from royal canin to a kitten food that has no by products in it. And a couple days ago onyx threw up and I thought ok maybe it was from the food change. Then again just now he threw up again. He ate about an hour and a half ago and then went t bed. He just woke me up crying then threw up about 32 grams of stuff. Not runny just half digested food. They do still feed from Momma sometimes and I seen him nursing a few hours ago. When I took him out he walked around a bit then went potty and had diarrhea. Also ha it the other day. He.drinks plenty of water and is very active but he has always been the biggest and the last week or two he's been behind. Milo is 1313 grams and onyx is now 1270 grams. On the 15 he was 1250 so in 4 days he's only gained 20 grams. Where Milo has gained about 40 grams. Momma was spayed on monday as well and they had there first set of shots on Wed. Does this sound like a reason to freak out? There has been a lot of change but he threw up a few days ago before all the change and it was only the food change.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may be experiencing a reaction to the vaccines. Vomiting and diarrhea, along with lethargy, are the signs. He IS eating and gaining though, which is good.

Initially his reaction may have been the food change, then the vaccines. Too much at once for the little guy.

However, I suggest you get him to the vet to be checked for dehydration and to be given sub-q fluids. They may also want to give him something for the vomiting. Both will help him over this hump. :)

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok.so I took him to the vet yesterday and they did a stool sample and said it was probabl infection in his tummy they gave me some panacur I'm supposed to.give it to him once a day and told me.to give it to Milo as well as it will help his diarrhea. He said he wasn't dehydrated and.looked very healthy. He is playing and acting himself then this morning he threw up again. What looked like I'm.guessing kinda curdeled milk?. I weighed him and he has lost some weight since yesterday as well. Now he is with Momma nursing as that's where he went after he threw up. Does anyone have any advice on what this could be? The vet said that the food change, Weaning, and just that there little stomachs are changing so much is most likely what it is but Milo hasn't thrown up at all. He has just had a little diarrhea. He is eating as well with no problems.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I still tend to think it's a reaction to the vaccines. Some kittens have reactions, others don't. He should be past it soon.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Milo just started throwing up as well. So both seem to have the same symptoms now. And it just so happens that I gave Milo that panacur late last night as directed by the vet and he happen to now be sick. I'm wondering if it's just too much? Since on Wed they both went in for vaccinations and we're given a De wormer then that stupid vet gives me more to.give them for 6 days? Idk but it just seems too coincidental that both are now this way.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They were both absolutely fine healthy indoor kitty's before they started getting pumped with chemicals

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are wormy, then they only appeared fine. If the vet gave a 6 day dose of Panacur, they are most likely wormy. This will cause a cat (or dog) to throw up. How hot is it where you live and how hard do they play after eating? This could also cause vomiting. If it were me, I would keep them quiet after meals and continue the Panacur. And as Sarthur2 said, it could also be a reaction to the shot. Keep a close eye on them and make sure they stay hydrated.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the vet said the fecal test was neg but I heard him saying something to the tech about it can be neg and still have them. Idk. Its warm here but only outside. We keep it 70 inside. They were both absolutely fine before there vacs on wed. They have played rough ever since they could and never been an issue. They haven't been playing at all since they haven't been.feeling good. Just really watery poo and throwup and the one.that wasn't sick got sick after the dose of worm meds. I just don't want to over med them. I just don't know why he would give more of that medicine knowing they were already dewormed. And he told me it was something bacterial. Then gave something for worms. Isn't that a little much to give them after they have already most likely had a pretty powerful dewormer on wed?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the wormer of Wed.? Panacur is a very mild wormer, it's all I used on my foals for that reason. But, yes, if it's bacterial then wormer will not help. However, the vet is correct about the fecal test may not show worms. May I suggest giving them some probiotics also. It also could be something in the new food that disagrees with them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Panacur is very mild and does not normally cause a reaction. I'm sorry Milo is sick now too. It's possible they picked up a virus at the vet's office.