Cat = Daily Early Morning Alarm

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I love my cat, even though he is very anti-touching or cuddling! The only time he loves and begs to be pet is in the early morning, where he would go on our bed, walk on top of me, purring, looking for my hand for petting. I love doing it, but hate the fact that he wakes me up early in the morning before my alarm, and he only does it in the early morning! It's almost like he only wants human affection at his own time, which I am a bit bitter about.

Anyways, is there a way to stop the cat's behavior or coming on the bed and walk on top of me? I tried ignoring him and not show affection, but he would sit by me and flap his tail against me... i just want to be able to sleep until alarm goes off... i work six days a week, and being able to sleep as much as i can would really help in the long run. Thanks guys.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it a little sad that you're trying to reject/ignore the only affection your cat feels comfortable showing you. You can close the door or push him away--but then you'll have 0 interactions with him from what you're saying

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
For some skittish cats the only time they relax around people is when we are laying down, probably because they don’t like someone towering over them, so while you are in bed is the only time they feel safe cuddling. There are a couple of things you can try to help him find other times for cuddling that would let you sleep in the morning. First try taking a pillow and laying on your living room floor in the evening. Some cats that won’t come near you if you are upright will allow petting if you are laying in the floor. You can also see if you can get him to come up for some petting before you go to sleep at night. If you can get him to accept petting at a different time, then when he wakes you early you can simply shut him outside your room.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You say in your other thread that you've had him for only two months. That's such a short time! He needs to adjust, bond with you, and trust you.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitten Mishka used to be afraid of hands, so the only time she'd come up to me for petting was early morning when I was asleep. Yes, it does disturb sleep, but it's so worth it. I'd pet her for a few minutes and automatically slow down as I'd drift back off to sleep. Sometimes she would jump off and leave me to sleep. Later, as she got more comfortable, she'd fall asleep right there with me. After a few months of this, she started trusting me more and now (about 7 months later), she walks up to me anytime and anywhere for petting, sleeps curled up behind my knees every night, and has become a lap cat. Be patient, build that bond with your cat, and your lack of sleep now will pay off!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your cat has trained you well!
Zero positive result (for the cat) to negative behaviour. Give in once and you face resistance retraining them.
2 month is not long just be clear and consistent, he'll get the message.
My cat constantly tries to wake me earlier but there is a correlation between being unsuccessful and the less she tries. She now only states waking me up at 6:30 am for 7am breakfast.
She woke me up a 4am once and learned to never do it again.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some skittish cats the only time they relax around people is when we are laying down, probably because they don’t like someone towering over them, so while you are in bed is the only time they feel safe cuddling. There are a couple of things you can try to help him find other times for cuddling that would let you sleep in the morning. First try taking a pillow and laying on your living room floor in the evening. Some cats that won’t come near you if you are upright will allow petting if you are laying in the floor. You can also see if you can get him to come up for some petting before you go to sleep at night. If you can get him to accept petting at a different time, then when he wakes you early you can simply shut him outside your room.
Another possibility is when you're on the toilet. That and when I was sleeping were the first places my kitty let me pet her - maybe she sensed I was more vulnerable in those places?

Is it possible to go back to sleep after you pet him a bit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find it a little sad that you're trying to reject/ignore the only affection your cat feels comfortable showing you. You can close the door or push him away--but then you'll have 0 interactions with him from what you're saying
I was trying to find more sleep than rejecting him. I am human, I am selfish, i admit it. We tried closing the door, he would meow all night. Can't sleep that way either. A bit frustrated because it seems like I can't find a way to sleep in at all ever since we got the cat a few months ago....

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another possibility is when you're on the toilet. That and when I was sleeping were the first places my kitty let me pet her - maybe she sensed I was more vulnerable in those places?

Is it possible to go back to sleep after you pet him a bit?

Right! He does come to me when i am on the toilet! He tends to wake me up an hour before my alarm, so for me, trying to fall back asleep and get back up within an hour is worse than him waking me up three hours before lol!

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all the great feedback guys. A bit torn because I love seeing him being comfortable with me in the morning but that would not reinforce the problem i am trying to address... especially times when he walks on me. I tried putting him beside me but he will walk right back on me. Anyways, i will definitely try out lying down in the living room, still unsure how i should react when he comes up to the bed in the morning though.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you would like to discourage the behavior in the morning, the best way is to give no reinforcement, positive or negative. So basically, lie very still, pretend to be asleep, and don't react in any way no matter what he does. Unfortunately, it'll take some time for him to learn, but it will eventually work.

MollyTheBoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Branching out a little bit, if you guys don't mind. I read a few sites about cat's tail movement, but I am still unsure as to what it means. Like why the cat would stump his tail moderately hard when he lays next to me on the bed or when i sit next to him in the living room when he is on top of his scratch box. It almost feels like he is annoyed that I am there right next to him, so I would remove myself and i see his tail being still and calm after awhile. Does it mean the cat does not want human around when his tails flap in a short range with inconsistent rhyme (slow flaps, with occasional out of control-like wriggle, almost like the speed of human bouncing their knees)? Sometimes i would feel bad that it seems like he wants to but hates to interact with me. He is an older cat though, at least 5 yrs, according to the previous owner's son that the cat was known to meow when he had his room's door close, but not much else detail i got from them.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure my girl thumps her tail when she's happy, because she'll do that when she's laying on top of me, and also when she catches her favorite toys. But it's sort of like a slow rhythmic thump.

If he's choosing to go by you I doubt he's annoyed. I think the tail sites are a good start but not always accurate for every cat. Apparently my cat is insecure because she hooks her tail, but in her case her tail is so long and the rest of her body language doesn't support it, that I think it's just her quirk. And I'm sure your boy has them too and you'll figure it out the longer you know him.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats flap their tails for no reason at all - take a look at Maru videos on YouTube and you will see a cat whose tail is never still. For other cats it can mean interest, readiness to play or anger. You have to look at the cats full body language and what they actually do or are doing to discover what it means.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you do in the evenings? Can you accommodate being in bed early (reading, Netflixing etc) to create a moment when your cat can come explore you?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My punk Dante wiggles his tail when he gets excited. His tail is sticking straight up & he wiggles it. Has for your morning wake up call, I say give him time to learn your schedule. What other people suggested should help. If there is no reward for waking you up, he will stop.... eventually.

You can try adapting my attitude of ignoring my cats when I first wake up. 2 am? That is last minute cuddle and play time since I am a night owl. 10 am? Talk to me at 11 & I might be awake enough to pet you. 4 am?:argh: Salem shut up & stop growling before I find the squirt bottle ... yeah you #^$#^#^$##^ Dante I see you leave your brother alone! However the last minute play session keeps Dante from hunting his brother while I sleep ... so that way I don't curse at my cats. :petcat:

Kitti

Persian
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the world of the furry early alarm for the next 20 plus years..