Cat coughing only when kneading a blanket?

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My recently adopted shelter/rescue cat (her name is Piper) coughs only when “making biscuits” (kneading a blanket) while purring. However, when she purrs any other time while not kneading, she doesn’t cough at all.

This happens to any blanket she does this on, I at first thought maybe the fiber/making of the original blanket was the cause, but she does it no matter what blanket it is.

I took her to the vet and she was deemed healthy lung wise and doesn’t have kennel cough either. She did have urinary issues and a GI upset which were treated and she’s currently on urinary food as directed by her vet. Would these two things have any correlation or is she maybe purring too hard?

I’ve also considered she might have a hair ball that won’t come out, would giving her something for that be a good idea just to make sure?

She has another upcoming appointment with the vet to check up on her urinary crystal problem and GI upset issues, I’ll be speaking about the cough again there too but would like to see if anyone else experienced something similar.

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would have to say she just purrs hard. I haven't had that problem with my cats but I have heard that some cats do that. If you are concerned about it, maybe get a second opinion just in case.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a video of the "coughing" while your cat is on the blanket and show it to the vet. I don't a cat can cough at the same time while purring.

What body position is your cat in when she does this "cough"? When a cat coughs, the cat is crouched low to the ground and stretches out the neck.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also share the video with the members on this site too, if you want to. Here are the instructions on how to do so.

To post a video you've made (on approved source sites such as YouTube, Vimeo - see complete list below), click on the 'Insert' option, which is 3 dots followed by a small black arrow, located in the toolbar at the top of your post.

Insert box.jpg

You will then see a drop-down box; select the 'Media' option.

Media drop down box.jpg

A box will appear where you can paste the source site's URL, then click 'continue' (at the bottom of the screen) and your video should appear.

URL for media.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Take a video of the "coughing" while your cat is on the blanket and show it to the vet. I don't a cat can cough at the same time while purring.

What body position is your cat in when she does this "cough"? When a cat coughs, the cat is crouched low to the ground and stretches out the neck.
She does it whilst kneading the blanket so she’s up straight and her head is up as well, I assumed it was coughing but it’s almost like she’s clearing her throat also. I’ll be sure to catch it on video the next time she does it, which is usually at night when we are in bed and she’s doing a round of biscuit making before cuddling up to sleep.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also share the video with the members on this site too, if you want to. Here are the instructions on how to do so.

To post a video you've made (on approved source sites such as YouTube, Vimeo - see complete list below), click on the 'Insert' option, which is 3 dots followed by a small black arrow, located in the toolbar at the top of your post.

Insert box.jpg

You will then see a drop-down box; select the 'Media' option.

Media drop down box.jpg

A box will appear where you can paste the source site's URL, then click 'continue' (at the bottom of the screen) and your video should appear.

URL for media.jpg
Thank you for this, next time I’ll start recording and I’ll post it here as well as showing the vet at her next appointment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely just some deep throat purring which is nothing to worry about. Showing your vet a video will put your mind at ease.

leifybridge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's likely just some deep throat purring which is nothing to worry about. Showing your vet a video will put your mind at ease.
Thank you for your reply. She hasn’t done it again yet, but that does make me feel a bit better about it. And yes, i’ll still show her vet just for 100% clarity. Her vet is very kind and attentive to her (she gets anxious while being there and they do a great job caring for her) so I know they will make sure everything is as it should be. :heartshape: