Cat Constipated. Help!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a lot more poop than there was in your first post, so hopefully its improving. Is that light-coloured stuff hair/fur? I'm not a vet, but it looks like a lot of hair to me... Maybe that's what was doing it? How is she?
I agree: that's a lot of fur! Cats should poop out the fur but those are some big clumps. The best thing for that is brushing.

I don't know where you live, B Bbydoll , but I live in Maine and one of our cats has been shedding a fair bit this week and even barfing up a little fur -- we wonder if our strange weather (50 degrees one day, 5 the next!) has been causing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a lot more poop than there was in your first post, so hopefully its improving. Is that light-coloured stuff hair/fur? I'm not a vet, but it looks like a lot of hair to me... Maybe that's what was doing it? How is she?
I agree: that's a lot of fur! Cats should poop out the fur but those are some big clumps. The best thing for that is brushing.

I don't know where you live, B Bbydoll , but I live in Maine and one of our cats has been shedding a fair bit this week and even barfing up a little fur -- we wonder if our strange weather (50 degrees one day, 5 the next!) has been causing it.
Does the color look off to you guys? Or is this normal? Mind you, i broke this apart. It was a log. Should i continue with miralax? And maybe add egg yolk lecithin to help if theres more furr? She is a long hair white cat btw. This morning she woke me up, she ate half of a fancyfeast by herself. Maybe it was after a poop. Now shes not eating as much again. We bought catnip (catweed) and she is still responding to it and treats as well but im not trying to feed her alot becausei ehard dry food is bad.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to add we live in California, also she hates being brush. I got a furminator she hates it a rake she hates it! I try to brush her but doesnt like her tummy brush. Last time we went to get her groomed they called us back and told me to pick my cat up because shes not having it. What is a good brush to get for her? I an full of scratches but at this point i dont care i just want to help her

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me, the colour looks pretty normal...

Brushing more would be good. I have a Kong ZoomGroom that I use on my cat. She is medium haired, but I've used it on long-haired cats before, too. Its AMAZING how much hair it can pick up. Its quite nice because its gentle and soft not like a regular brush. Its number 4 in this article - 7 Reasons Why You Really Should Groom Your Cat Regularly There are other good ones in this article, too.
The only thing to be careful of if you get one, a lot of fur just goes flying off my cat when I use it and it also tends to create some static cling, so some of the loose furs stick to her after. I just brush them off with my hand after.

Try giving her some treats while you brush her, that might help and start slow and gentle with short grooming sessions to get her more accustomed to it. You might want to try when she's already sleepy or relaxed somewhere. I also use a nail brush sometimes, very similar to number 1 in the article.

I know this probably isn't helpful for you now, but my cat gets constipated, too. She's been on Miralax for years. My vet said that it doesn't do anything to treat constipation once its begun, its more of a preventative thing to continue with to stop it happening again. I did give my cat some olive oil on occassion to help move things along, but I don't thinkn its a good longterm solution.

Wet food is better for preventing constipation, but I understand its hard to change. My cat loves kibble, too. Have you tried putting some kibbles on top of the wet food to entice her to eat it a bit more?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was freaking out because the poop looks black. She eats wet food right now its a variety of fancy feast classic, and variety of sheba, and friskies poultry. I have so many cans open trying to get her to eat.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Does the color of her poop look normal to you guys?