Cat Constipated. Help!

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yesterday morning i found little pellets in the litter box. (picture#1) The day before that i fished out hair in her poop (picture#2).

Today there was none. My cats tummy is firm. She eats on her own when i put the plate in front of her, but i dont think she’s eating enough. Yesterday maybe i forced her to eat 3-4oz.

She’s on nexabiotic (day3) and slippery elm bark (day2) i also give her tomlyn laxatone 1x a day. I skipped the vaseline last night (i was giving it to her once a day and now i think thats why she hasnt pooped. i would like to know what i can add next since i did not see her poop today after the pellets yesterday.

I bought egg yolk lecithin and miralax today. Which one is safe to mix with nexabiotic, slippery elm bark, tomlyn laxatone?

Also i have fortiflora on its way, is it okay to add it on top of her food as an appetite stimulant even though i have her on nexabiotic? I also have Vetoquinol Nutri Cal on the way too. Anyone used that before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Have you gotten this cat in to a vet?

Maybe something here would be of help, either to you or to someone who is reading or lurking;

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets
I have when she was throwing up clear foamy liquid 2 weeks ago. Her bloodwork and urinalysis and fecal test came back normal. She stopped throwing up the first week. Started eating and drinking on her own too. I am on week 3 nursing her back to health.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear!
I think she is constipated though base on her last poop. Should i give her egg yolk lecithin or miralax? Shes already on nexabiotic, and slippery elm bark (its only been a few days though)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but I think I'd try the egg yolk. I'm just concerned that one of these things you're giving her might not react well with the other things, and hopefully the egg yolk is a little more natural and won't cause complications but go gently :)

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but I think I'd try the egg yolk. I'm just concerned that one of these things you're giving her might not react well with the other things, and hopefully the egg yolk is a little more natural and won't cause complications but go gently :)
How much egg yolk lecithin should i use?

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another thing you might try is Cat Lax. It's marketed for hairballs but is also used for constipation. It recently worked wonders when my Chula was constipated. My vet recommended it but it's always best to double check with your own vet when you want to give your cat anything.

Cat Lax Cat Supplement, 2-oz tube - Chewy.com
Is that the same thing as tomlyn laxatone? Shes having that already.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lisahe lisahe posted this in another thread where for that brand, for adult cats they recommend: 1/4 teaspoon, twice a day. Here's the page with the package and instructions, and there is even more information visible when you scroll down on the page:
EZ Egg Yolk

I personally would go with the kitten amount which is 1/8 teaspoon to start until you see whether you're getting any results. If the brand you have is different, the recommended usage amount may be different.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you look at the ingredients to compare between the Tomlyn and the Cat Lax, one of the biggest differences I see is the cod liver oil in the Cat Lax.
Also, the tomlyn has petrolatum in it, so I'm glad you stopped giving her Vaseline.
You're trying to throw the book at this and I can certainly understand the feeling. Just be a bit cautious and really look at the ingredients of everything, and definitely talk with your vet and let him/her know what you're doing :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting that, Furballsmom Furballsmom ! I added the egg yolk more for hairballs than for constipation and I'm not sure how much it helped either but I keep using it in the cats' food (just once a day) because they like it.

One of our cats has long had a tendency of being on the verge of constipation but only recently have I started adding a little pumpkin puree (just plain, pure pumpkin, no pie spices, I bought Weruva) to her food twice a day. I don't even use 1/4 teaspoon each time; it also goes in her sister's food once a day. It made a huge difference very quickly: the constipated cat's appetite is back to normal -- I think she just wasn't feeling good -- and I'm now finding daily poop in the litter box. The poop looks pretty much the same, maybe just a tiny bit bulkier.

What do you feed your cat, B Bbydoll ? Cats that are fed raw food tend not to poop very much -- this can be because of high bone content in the food -- and what does come out sometimes looks basically like fur in a poopy shell! A diet very high in protein and very low in carbs can have a similar, but lesser, effect. Our cats eat a lot of raw and homemade food and have very low carb intake, which is why I hadn't been at all worried about our cats not pooping much. It was Ireland's lack of appetite that concerned me, particularly because she seemed to go through cycles of eating well and not wanting to eat much at all.

Like the others, I'd also be very careful not to mix various products without speaking with the vet. Egg and pumpkin are common ingredients in foods that can be fed in small amounts but I wouldn't want to start feeding a combination of things without getting a vet's opinion -- you don't want to have a reverse effect on your cat's digestive system.

The foamy vomit was probably from hunger: some cats vomit like that early in the morning, when they're waiting for a morning meal. Our cats occasionally do it, too. It could have been caused by your cat not eating because she was constipated.

Good luck!

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went ahead and mix 1/4 tsp (making sure i dont surpass the top of the measurement even left a bit of room because i dont have a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon) of miralax with water, a tiny bit delectables soup and i sprinkle a tiny bit of egg yolk lecithin capsule on it too.

Bbydoll

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting that, Furballsmom Furballsmom ! I added the egg yolk more for hairballs than for constipation and I'm not sure how much it helped either but I keep using it in the cats' food (just once a day) because they like it.

One of our cats has long had a tendency of being on the verge of constipation but only recently have I started adding a little pumpkin puree (just plain, pure pumpkin, no pie spices, I bought Weruva) to her food twice a day. I don't even use 1/4 teaspoon each time; it also goes in her sister's food once a day. It made a huge difference very quickly: the constipated cat's appetite is back to normal -- I think she just wasn't feeling good -- and I'm now finding daily poop in the litter box. The poop looks pretty much the same, maybe just a tiny bit bulkier.

What do you feed your cat, B Bbydoll ? Cats that are fed raw food tend not to poop very much -- this can be because of high bone content in the food -- and what does come out sometimes looks basically like fur in a poopy shell! A diet very high in protein and very low in carbs can have a similar, but lesser, effect. Our cats eat a lot of raw and homemade food and have very low carb intake, which is why I hadn't been at all worried about our cats not pooping much. It was Ireland's lack of appetite that concerned me, particularly because she seemed to go through cycles of eating well and not wanting to eat much at all.

Like the others, I'd also be very careful not to mix various products without speaking with the vet. Egg and pumpkin are common ingredients in foods that can be fed in small amounts but I wouldn't want to start feeding a combination of things without getting a vet's opinion -- you don't want to have a reverse effect on your cat's digestive system.

The foamy vomit was probably from hunger: some cats vomit like that early in the morning, when they're waiting for a morning meal. Our cats occasionally do it, too. It could have been caused by your cat not eating because she was constipated.

Good luck!
She was eating sheba, nutro perfect portions,
wild frontier prior to this. I bought instinct lid turkey and she wouldnt touch it. I also opened a can of weruva cats in the kitchen but ignored it too. Last night i bought a bunch of classic fancy feast and a chicken friskies and sheba. She use to eat those prior to switching her to grain free a year ago. She ‘s eating a bit by herself when i put food in front of her but i dont think its enough. I bought fortiflora and nutrical for appetite stimulant hopefully it helps

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy really likes the gravy out of several brands that have pouch foods - he won't touch the things in the gravy, just the liquid so I was thinking you could try some of those to get some nutrition into her? Also there are these that can help from a TCS member;

Kitten-Rescue.com

CharlieJLZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat kept getting constipated. I got her checked st the vets to make sure there wernt any blockages which there wasn't. She'd have different vet medication but she'd get an upset tummy and then block up again. They said if I kept adding meds in her digestive system and there was a hard bit of poop nearer the end, the meds won't clesr her properly. I put her onto Royal Canin Fibre biscuitand she's not had a single issue with her tummy since. And she was awful and uncomfortable. I hope your baby is sorted soon!