Cat cone/overgrooming

JR1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat has had a few episodes where he'll overgroom his belly to the point of getting sores. I've been to the vet and they tested for all the usual suspects - I switched food and thought I had gotten to the bottom of it but it's happening again. What's worse, he's able to get past the cone and lick the sore a bit sometimes, opening it back up. It's a 12.5 cm cone, pretty long, and I don't think he'd be able to eat with a longer cone. I guess another trip to the vet is in order but just wanted to see if there were any ideas here. Very frustrating!

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat licked her spay incision until it was infected. She wouldn’t wear a cone so I bought this surgery recovery suit from chewy . she wasn’t a fan but it worked. it snaps around the butt end so they can still go to the bathroom
4D6CBE07-1C4E-4EAC-ADEA-C64A26D9E66B.jpeg

linzy383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cone worked really well for us. Our cat doesn't like it, but he will use the litterbox, eat, etc. When he sleeps it's like a pillow. We've had a suitical too and it paralyzed him. :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JR1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whatever devise you use to stop him from overgrooming is only a temporary solution, albeit helpful for the short term. It sounds like it could be seasonal, since it stopped and then came back again. So, the food change may actually have been coincidental Have you done some research into possible causes? Was he given any meds for it at the time?
Overgrooming Cats • MSPCA-Angell
Cat Overgrooming: Why Is My Cat Licking Itself So Much? | PetMD
I've done lots of research. They didn't give any meds, even though they suspected is was some sort of allergy. Seasonal/pollen etc is what I think it might be as well.