Cat Collar Problem - Looking for Suggestions/Ideas

DebfromPhilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Cat Lovers! Happy Friday everyone!
My cat is a door-dasher/escape artist. My large balcony has been turned into a catio, and has a cat door so he can go outside anytime he wants, but he likes going out the front door, and I live next to a canyon in Austin, where there are many coyotes, and on the other side of my home there is a very busy road, which are both highly concerning.
I've used standard fabric breakaway collars in the past, with a tag that has his name, my contact info, with reward offered, and he is chipped.
PROBLEM: As soon as I put a collar on him, he starts to scratch at it (not that he has an itch) and destroys them quickly. His claws shred them and they start to shrink around his neck, and get too tight to fit him and then I throw them out. Last time I put a collar on him, he scratched it so much that it started to tear off all his fur under his collar, and was going bald in a few places from the constant friction, I believe, so I took it off and found a smooth leather collar online, that I'm waiting for, to arrive in the mail. I'd like to put an Apple AirTag on him, since he is almost impossible to keep inside, for example, when I'm carrying anything (taking longer to get the door shut or have to open the door wider to get out the door).
QUESTION: Do any of you have any collar or other suggestions for me that may resolve this problem? You all have been very helpful to me in the past, so I I'm guessing someone here may have a creative idea for me.
Thank you so much, in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DebfromPhilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner got here before me with the article. I do note that Amazon, at least, carries a leather breakaway collar, which may do the trick, rather than a woven one. I'm sure others carry them, that's just the first thing that came up on a search.