Cat chewing toys and cat dental

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Hope you are well.
I was Just wondering if you can give me some advice and suggestions about cat chewing toys and cat toys that can help with dental care.
Any suggestion is more than welcome!
Thank you very much in advance🐱🐾

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
IF your cat eats dry food and IF they actually chew the pieces (most don't), that helps a bunch with dental care.
If your cat is like most others, you'll need something else. I find that cat toys that have a "fishnet" cover to them are a good option.
images (2).jpeg images.jpeg
There's also ones that are a chewy-type with tassels.
download.jpeg images (1).jpeg
As with any toy, monitor your cats when playing with them, in case pieces fall off or break.
I've also heard some tasteless water additives can be helpful, but it's best to check with your vet about those, along with dental treats.
However, none of these can compare to a complete dental cleaning by a vet. While this option is much more expensive and there are always risks with putting an animal under anesthesia, this is the only way to catch the worst of a dental disease at it's earliest.
The toys and treats can help extend the time between full dental cleanings, and there's nothing wrong with giving kitty a toy that's actually helping too 😊

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had much success with chew toys for cats. Many cats aren't big chewers, and those that are tend to chew on everything but the toys it seems. I'm sure they work for some cats, just probably not the majority.

If you're interested, I LOVE raw chicken gizzards as a daily treat for dental health. My cat adores them, and they took care of all the cleaning she was predicted to have to have done by a vet.