Cat Changed Since New Cat!

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Mushky has been part of out family since November last year. Since then she has had little interaction with other cats other than twice when she eloped with a feral cat she seemed to have affections for. She herself was also a feral and it took her some time to get used to us. Still she dislikes being stroked or petted however has started to adore being groomed!

There is another feral (I think stray!) in our neighbourhood who slowly began to trust me over the course of three months. I named her Kiki and 3 days ago I decided it was time she becamse a part of my family. Since Kiki has come into the house Mushky has completely changed. She is constantly hissing and running away from my husband and me.

Since arriving Kiki has been kept in one bedroom, she has her litter toys food and water in the same room adjoining to a balcony for view of the street. She is very happy and is constantly purring whenever we go into her room to spend time with her. Mushky only saw her once for 3 minutes 2 days ago, yet this is enough for her sudden change.

Although she never liked being stoked she would allow us to stroke her for a few seconds and she always enjoyed our company. She would follow us room by room and always sleep in whichever room we were in. Now she seems to hate our company and is forever hiding under the bed or in the wardrobe.

I am very very worried about her state of mind and do not know what to do.

I spoke to my vet who said I was irresponsible for bringing another adult cat into our house and that I should have tried a kitten :( But to my defence I didn't actively go out looking for another cat. Kiki was there and we bonded everyday in the garden. It just didn't feel right to leave her out especially during the cold!

Please any advice!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mushky can smell Kiki on you and your husband, that is most probably why she is hissing. You no longer smell like you but have a strange smell that she doesnt know. Try fresh clothes with no smell of Kiki and sit quietly in the room with Mushky talking to her but not forcing yourself on her. Put something of Mushky in the room with Kiki for a while them give it to Mushky, it will then have the smell of her and Kiki on it. Just give her time to get used to the change.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad, she woulda hated a kitten just as much. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Mushky? Is she spayed? Is she indoor only? Or indoor/outdoor? Is she eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally?

Ensure you keep Kiki away from Mushky until you can get Kiki vet checked to ensure she doesn't have any illness she could pass onto Mushky. How old is Kiki? She probably needs to be spayed.

Make sure you keep spending time with Mushky. And tell her you love her, and that she isn't being replaced.

And eventually start the introductions between them. Here are some TCS articles with more info. Good luck.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is Mushky? Is she spayed? Is she indoor only? Or indoor/outdoor? Is she eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally?

Ensure you keep Kiki away from Mushky until you can get Kiki vet checked to ensure she doesn't have any illness she could pass onto Mushky. How old is Kiki? She probably needs to be spayed. .

Mushky is 17 months old now. She is spayed and a indoor only cat. She is still eating and drinking as usual however has started urinating all over the house!

Kiki is 7 months old, she was vet checked first day and given shots. I will get her spayed but I want to give all of us sometime first to get used to the change

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
7 months isn't an adult cat. I wonder why your vet is trying to guilt trip you? Does he have cats for adoption? Did he offer to give you a kitten and re-home the ancient of days you found? I thought not.

I've brought lots of full grown cats in, 3 years to 18 years, and only a couple of kittens. Those who disliked the adults, disliked the kittens - this eventually reached ignoring with one exception, but that involved a hand raised cat. They seem to be more possessive than others.

I see no reason why following the directions for introductions won't work. Give it a try, don't rush it. You may have to do it more than once. In the end, Mushky may be more cuddly just to show Kiki you belong to her.

And M3rma1d is right, Mushky would have hated a small kitten as much and scared you to death that she was going to kill it. With a grown or almost grown cat you don't have that worry.

Saving those who need saving regardless of age is the whole point to everything.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Kiki is only 7 months old, she is still a kitten, not an adult like your vet said. However, her presence is still clearly upsetting Mushky. :( If her urinating around the house continues, you might have to take her to the vet, to ensure she hasn't developed an UTI.

Here is one more TCS article on cat introductions, this one on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Plus some others that might be helpful with her litter box avoidance issue:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

And some on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress