Cat Carriers

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would appreciate recommendations on cat carriers for my new kitty. I had one of the duffle bag types and didn't care for it. Seen someone have a nice one that expands on the sides, which was nice, and found another one that's like a baby carrier covered in mesh.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and what you have and where you purchased. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A plastic carrier with both a front and a top opening would be my choice. Plastic because cats do puke or pee in their carriers and so you need something that is easy to clean. And a top opening is really helpful to get a uncooperative cat in and out of their carrier.
Thank you very much! 😊

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree the basic plastic carrier's that you can take the top off are the best. Material one's my boy claws and I was always checking he'd not got through the mesh.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the plastic carrier with the metal grill door on the side and top is a great feature. The only downside is that I have only seen them as a kitten size. I had owned one until recently , but donated it because neither of my two boys fit into it comfortably.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A plastic carrier with both a front and a top opening would be my choice. Plastic because cats do puke or pee in their carriers and so you need something that is easy to clean. And a top opening is really helpful to get a uncooperative cat in and out of their carrier.
This. You can put a folded towel on the bottom to make it more comfortable for kitty. If your cat has an accident or throws up, it's easy to wash the towel. I always sleep on the towel for a couple of days after washing it.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a plastic carrier that is shaped kind of like a triangle, and it opens from the long side. I originally got it because I wanted something that could fold up for storage, but I like it because it's easy to clean and it's pretty big so my cat has plenty of space. The door being on the side like that is great too because it means a big opening to put him inside.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an "OG" cat carrier that is mostly like a crate that has a door that opens in the front. You can take the whole top off if necessary, but it's a PITA because there are so many screws. LOL. My vet says she recommends this type though because they are much safer in a car in the event of an accident than the soft carriers.

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a plastic carrier that is shaped kind of like a triangle, and it opens from the long side. I originally got it because I wanted something that could fold up for storage, but I like it because it's easy to clean and it's pretty big so my cat has plenty of space. The door being on the side like that is great too because it means a big opening to put him inside.
Thank you! Do you have a picture of it, I would love to see it and find one similar. Thank you!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a big cat and got a hard carrier with grill door on the front and removeable top off Amazon. I thought of the times when she would perhaps have an 'accident' while riding in the car. Easy to clean. But they are heavy and awkward.

So I got one of those airplane carriers and I love it. It is easy to tote, comes in sizes and I just put a nice soft towel in the bottom.
One thing ,, though, if kitty has long claws they will try to claw at the mesh, but it is very sturdy and reinforced and will not break.
She hates the site of ANY crate though 'cause it means The Vet!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one of the soft carriers, I put my cat Leo in it. A few minutes later, he ran by into the kitchen. I thought I had not closed the carrier properly. But it was closed properly. Leo had torn the mesh open to escape. Not safe!

I now have a hard side plastic carrier with an opening on the top. I open the top and when the cat comes by, I grab him and put him in through the top opening. Much easier than trying to get a cat through the tiny door on front of the carrier! Some top openers have bad feedback about the top coming open when carrying a cat. So get a good brand.

I store the carrier where the cats can see it and they can get used to it, and I can easily open the top without moving it. If I store it away, the cats disappear when I bring it out. :lol:

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had one of the soft carriers, I put my cat Leo in it. A few minutes later, he ran by into the kitchen. I thought I had not closed the carrier properly. But it was closed properly. Leo had torn the mesh open to escape. Not safe!

I now have a hard side plastic carrier with an opening on the top. I open the top and when the cat comes by, I grab him and put him in through the top opening. Much easier than trying to get a cat through the tiny door on front of the carrier! Some top openers have bad feedback about the top coming open when carrying a cat. So get a good brand.

I store the carrier where the cats can see it and they can get used to it, and I can easily open the top without moving it. If I store it away, the cats disappear when I bring it out. :lol:
That's too funny about them disappearing! My cats used to do the same thing, as soon as they seen that carrier coming out, they took off! LOL! Thank you for sharing!

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a big cat and got a hard carrier with grill door on the front and removeable top off Amazon. I thought of the times when she would perhaps have an 'accident' while riding in the car. Easy to clean. But they are heavy and awkward.

So I got one of those airplane carriers and I love it. It is easy to tote, comes in sizes and I just put a nice soft towel in the bottom.
One thing ,, though, if kitty has long claws they will try to claw at the mesh, but it is very sturdy and reinforced and will not break.
She hates the site of ANY crate though 'cause it means The Vet!
[/URL]
Thank you so much, I appreciate it! And thanks for sharing the link, very helpful! :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My other two are basic plastic carriers.

Magnus has this one though: Top Paw Multi-Functional Backpack | dog Carriers & Crates | PetSmart

He has minor luxating patella, so I don't want to risk more dislocation trying to get him in the hard carrier. Plus he gets nausea if he doesn't eat for awhile. Sitting up is best for him. Magnus does use the hard ones as a bed if he isn't feeling well, so we know it's time to head to the vet.

With his arthritis, I've found Nobel isn't liking to turn around in the hard shell ones either.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the big plastic type that’s airline approved, similar to this. It doesn’t have a top opening, but of all my cats only Maddie was really difficult to get into it. (Getting them out at the vet is another matter, I have to tip Daisy out of it!) It’s easy to clean and they can move around a bit, and it has a food bowl attached to the door.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would appreciate recommendations on cat carriers for my new kitty. I had one of the duffle bag types and didn't care for it. Seen someone have a nice one that expands on the sides, which was nice, and found another one that's like a baby carrier covered in mesh.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and what you have and where you purchased. Merry Christmas everyone! :)
I love soft-sided cat carriers with mesh sides, door, and top. They provide the cat a lot of comfort and visibility. However, only use this type of carrier if you know your cat isn't going to try to claw through the mesh.

My top choice for cats who are at risk of clawing through mesh is a plastic cat carrier with a handle and a metal door.