Cat Carriers Freak Out My Cat

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really out of ideas! I have a vet appointment tomorrow and I am freaking out!
I know I am posting this too late for any of you to even answer...but I just have to write.
I have watched every video...tried every tip. Nothing works.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy has a My Cat from Hell episode about this that is probably a good one for you. Basically, his advice is to make the carrier your cats friend. Start by keeping the carrier I'm the house all the time. Then slowly start moving your cats food closer to the carrier. Eventually you move the cats food into the carrier and then work towards closing the door while your cat is eating. The episode really does explain it much better.

For short term by tomorrow, you will just have to grab and go. I find it works better if I bring the carrier in the day before so my cat forgets it is there. Then scoop up the cat and put them in. Some cats are more of a struggle then others but my guys are really good about not scratching. If you are worried about scratching, wrap you cat in a towel or blanket. Don't worry about removing the towel or blanket, your cat will likely snuggle down in it once they get over the initial freak out. I also bring a plastic bag with an extra blanket/towel and wet wipes. My guy has accidents about half the time so I usually clean him and the carrier up once we get to the vet, if there is nothing to clean the extra towel makes a good cover while we are in the waiting room. Win-win.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found covering their eyes while a distance away from the basket when you first pick them up made it easy then just pour them into the basket.
Have the basket upended and door at the top so you just drop the cat in.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Dropping the cat in is the only way I can get mine in too.
If you have some Feliway, spray it inside.
Good luck!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the future, leave the carrier out all the time so it becomes a piece of furniture to the cat. If he has a favorite bed, slip that into the carrier after he gets used to it being out. When giving treats toss one or two into the crate and if he goes in after them, pet him and love him up. It will take time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy has a My Cat from Hell episode about this that is probably a good one for you. Basically, his advice is to make the carrier your cats friend. Start by keeping the carrier I'm the house all the time. Then slowly start moving your cats food closer to the carrier. Eventually you move the cats food into the carrier and then work towards closing the door while your cat is eating. The episode really does explain it much better.

For short term by tomorrow, you will just have to grab and go. I find it works better if I bring the carrier in the day before so my cat forgets it is there. Then scoop up the cat and put them in. Some cats are more of a struggle then others but my guys are really good about not scratching. If you are worried about scratching, wrap you cat in a towel or blanket. Don't worry about removing the towel or blanket, your cat will likely snuggle down in it once they get over the initial freak out. I also bring a plastic bag with an extra blanket/towel and wet wipes. My guy has accidents about half the time so I usually clean him and the carrier up once we get to the vet, if there is nothing to clean the extra towel makes a good cover while we are in the waiting room. Win-win.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very, very much!

Sillyvester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the future, leave the carrier out all the time so it becomes a piece of furniture to the cat. If he has a favorite bed, slip that into the carrier after he gets used to it being out. When giving treats toss one or two into the crate and if he goes in after them, pet him and love him up. It will take time and patience.
This is what I do, on the couch in a room that's not used by visitors. It's become his favorite place to sit -- haven't gone to the vet since I started doing this, but at least he's completely comfortable with it now.