Cat carriers: do you always take your cat to the vet in a carrier??

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

Edit - The rule of thumb for crating your cat is to make sure he has enough room to comfortably stand up and turn all the way around.
Which a cat seems to be able to do in just about anything!

I think a leash and harness for a cat is totally acceptable if the cat doesn't spook easily! You're lucky you have a feline only vet! That's awesome!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am shocked that people wouldnt' use a carrier to take a cat to the vets in, i honestly dont think it matters how calm your own pet is, you are taking them to a strange environment (unless like mine they go there every month), and you dont know who else is going to be there - i also wouldnt want them standing on the floor, as quite a few of the pets there will be poorly, so you could risk their health. The only time i have ever done it is when it was a 4am emergency job, it was a speed job (plus the poor thing was having a fit and completely out of it - probably would have hurt her trying to get her in). I have multiple cat carriers, but my favourite is the largest one that has a secure door - the only way that comes off is when you pull it to pieces, and you still have to pull on it then. It can easily fit a 9kg (about 18lb) cat in with plenty of room.

kmomo4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We take ours to the vet in one of those sturdy plastic carriers when we go, too.

While it would be nice to let one or the other sit on the car seat beside us (or under the seat, as has happened), it's easier to drive and have a cat in a carrier than it is to have a cat wandering around on the pedals when I'm driving. Sometimes, they are a bit lacking in common sense!

As has already been mentioned, it seems better for our cats to be in the carrier once they get to the vet...partly because of the "new environment" they're going in to (new sounds and smells) and for the aspect of who and what's been on the floors.

When we have appointments lined up for our pets at the vet, we bring the carrier inside the house first to let the cat that's going to the vet that time get used to it. And, because I live in a cold country, a carrier that's been on the porch in 10-15 below zero weather would not been too inviting to kitty paws or tummy.

We do have to make sure, though, that when we're ready to go to the vet that we've got the right cat in the carrier. Because once that carrier comes in the house, we seem to have a free-for-all and they all like to get in it to see what's going on.

In response to your question regarding whether it's large enough; the carrier you picture seems like it might be a bit small for a 20 pound cat.

Another thing to consider when taking a cat to the vet (or elsewhere), is the small space like that could give the cat some sense of security.

Karen

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't want people to think ill of me for not crating Bean when he goes to the vet.

I feel like I should mention that my vet is a very small practice and she tries to schedule people so that there is no more than one or two in the office at a time.

Every time I've went it's just been me, the vet tech, the secretary, and the vet. In the waiting room the only other animal ever present is the "office cat" who can usually be found lounging in his cat beds or inspecting the cat toys that are for sale.

http://www.saintjulianscatcare.com/home1.htm

I have only ever been to feline only vets, before this my cat was treated at the Feline Medical Clinic in Vancouver, WA.

I just have to say it's a lot easier to take your cat to the vet un-crated when there aren't so many stressors to worry about when you walk through the door. I actually think it's LESS stressful to allow my cat to explore the office and greet the other cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use carriers. First, they are safer for the cat and the driver, in the car. The cats are put in their carriers and the carrier is placed on the floor of the back seat, tucked tightly. This, aside from putting them in the trunk, is the safest place to put the carrier (I researched this)

Second, a vet office is full of sick animals. I want my cats as protected from other diseases as they possibly can be. The vet office also has dogs.

My cats are protected from curious or mean dogs, in their carrier. And from people who don't control their dogs, I can pick up the carrier and change my seat.

A carrier should not be too big, kitty should be able to crouch and turn around.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the other responses, but I always make sure my cat travels in a plastic/hard carrier for safety issues. I have brought him to the vet without a carrier before, but he was wearing a harness and leashed. I'm afraid that if something freaks him out, he will escape and run off - I've heard of it happening many times before. I have both a hard plastic carrier and a soft bag carrier and prefer the plastic one because it's more durable and not as prone to being scratched/ripped up from claws.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats go to the vet in carriers. I am so paranoid about the things - I always triple check all the little latches so it's closed properly.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I just have to say it's a lot easier to take your cat to the vet un-crated when there aren't so many stressors to worry about when you walk through the door. I actually think it's LESS stressful to allow my cat to explore the office and greet the other cat.
I think this has to do with the personality of your kitty as well. My kitties are afraid of other animals period. It would a long and hard introduction to add another kitty into the family here. For them seeing other animals at the vet is stressful. Usually once I get them in a room and out of the cage away from the other animals they calm down some and huddle together.

In the car they are scared as well. I have a soft top convertible car. And while the top is durable canvas someone has broken into it by using a fork before. Yes a fork, so I definitely do not trust that top with their claws.

Everybody's situation is different. I crate my cats because it is for their own safety. That and they've been inside cats for so long they would probably just starve to death hiding in a bush if they got lost.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take my cats to a cats only clinic and I would never consider taking them without a carrier. It's still stressful for them, there are other cats around, they know the vet is not a nice person and is going to poke and prod at them, etc. I would never be comfortable just carrying them in.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've known people who don't put their cats in carriers, but I prefer to take mine in them even though both of my boys now are very laid back. It eliminates the risk of being scratched up or them getting away if something startles them.

I think the size of the carrier depends on your cat. You know Jake and what he would be most comfortable with. Don't go with a smaller carrier just because it says it is designed for cats. No two cats are the same, go with a larger carrier rather than one that is too small.

I use the fabric type ones because they are lightweight and smaller to store. I don't travel with my boys so I didn't need anything airline approved. I got their carriers at Dollar General for $12.50 each. They are designed for small dogs so they hold up to 25lbs each, so they are a bit larger than the ones I have seen designed for cats which is good because Mulder is large like your Jake. Also they are collapsible for easy storage, which is great since I only use them for the vet usually.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a requirement at my vet to take cats in a carrier/dogs on a lead too.

Hey can you imagine me trying to walk from the car to the vets holding 4 or 5 kittens?
My vets is near a busy road too.

Of course being show cats my babies are used to carriers (I use airline ones all the time). When we're in the vets I normally have them on my knee (I'm crazy) or weigh them on the scales - not pregnant ones or my girls that get stressed just the dopey, brain dead ones (Fluffy, Tales)

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always HAVE TO put Ku Ku in a carrier when I bring her to a vet.
She completely RESISTS it regardless and always tries to attack me as soon as she's "captured". She's been notorious at my vet(one of the vet called her "tiger") for being "wild"...imagine if I'd have to drive to my vet without carrier?