Cat carriers: do you always take your cat to the vet in a carrier??

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine always go to the vets in a carrier.He requires that they be in one. I would not risk them freaking out and escaping getting from the car to the office. I use plastic carries. I did have one of the soft sided ones with a sherpa type bottom. But my cats would dig their claws into the bottoms and what a struggle to get them out. So I switched to plastic I just put a big towel in the bottom..

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use big plastic carriers myself. I got them from the dog dept at the pet store.
You could fit both of my cats in one of them. However I never do that, I like to give them their space. My cats freak out, cry, claw and hide in the cage at the vet and in the car. I wouldn't risk taking them out of the house without a carrier because I might lose them.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, please, always bring your cat to the vet in a carrier. Even a cardboard box with a lid and airholes is preferable to nothing. When I worked at a Vet's office you wouldn't believe how many clients brought their pets without any form of restraint.

Our animal hospital was flanked on 3 sides by wooded marsh and a busy airport, and fronted by one of the busiest streets in town. Our policy was to always have all pets restrained; you wouldn't beleive how many people ignored it though. A gent brought a large orange cat with no form of restraint once. The cat got away from him in the parking lot and dissappeared into the marsh. Even after an hour of searching, he was never to be seen again to my knowledge.

Reasons to use a carrier:

1. Even the nicest calmest cats do flip out on occasion. Often the trip to the Vet is the only traveling your cat ever does. That is a stressful situation to any animal.

2. Protect your cat from other animals that may become aggressive or ill behaved -maybe even your kitty. We had a sweet lovable domestic who was dog agressive.

3. Carriers are also for the Vet staff's protection; the 2 times I was bit working there it was a cat that did it.

4. Protect you cat from contagious illness. If your pet or someone else's might have a contagious illness you are keeping them safe by having a way to prevent unintentional contact.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In a pinch, you can use 2 laundry baskets secured with rope to transport your cats. We did this when we rescued 2 cats and they had to be taken to the vet immediately. We didn't have a carrier, and didn't have time to get one, so we just took 2 laundry baskets (same size or one bigger than the other and turned 1 upside down on the other and tied them together. It worked very well and the vet appreciated our resourcefulness.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never bring Cammy or Abbey without a carrier, you can never tell how someone else animal will behave. There's always a roomful of dogs when I go in.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
By-the-way -- so that there's no problem getting the cat into the carrier, I keep my carriers out, and open, with the bedding inside. My cats use the carrier as beds - so, when it's time to take them someplace they aren't so afraid of being inside them.

I started keeping the carriers inside, for emergencies - so, they'd be handy in case we had to vacate the house - that's when the cats started using them as their afternoon napping place.

They've been back and forth to the vet with no ill effects. Maybe the carrier is now considered a "safe place" for them ??

Just thought I'd mention this in case you're interested.

Plastic carriers are easier to clean and sanitize.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do that too-- leave the carriers out where the cats can see them and get used to them. My cats LOVE their carriers and especially the pet stroller because they see it as a favorite napping spot instead of a scary thing that comes out when they go to the vet.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anywhere I take my cats, they go in a carrier. I would NEVER, unless the animal was literally too weak from illness to put up a fuss about anything, take an animal anywhere without some way of restraining it. A sturdy cardboard box might be good enough, for a limited amount of time, but certainly no less than that. Every time I've taken my cats to the vet, there have been dogs around, and if I'd been just carrying them by hand (...in addition to the fact that I would have lost an eye if I tried to carry my semi-feral Squirrel by hand for that long), they would have gone utterly batpoo crazy.

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ALWAYS bring Amadeus to the vet in his carrier. Its just safer and easier, wouldn't want him jumping out of my arms and getting hit by a car, it also protects him from other animals while in the clinic.

He also wears a harness and a leash at the same time for extra safety and so it is easy to take him out and control him since he like to jump on everything and chase things.

Right now I have a soft 'backpack' carrier for him, but I think he is going to need a bigger one soon.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yes they ALWAYS go to the vet in a carrier - I've seen cats FLIP when going outside & there is no way I'd be able to contain them - we've actually had people come pick up their cat at the shelter as it was picked up as a stray - got away from them when they were going out the door to take it to the vet.

I have carriers of all sizes, as I'm transporting multiple animals often & fosters - I tend to try to buy the large size or XL size when I can.
Same here, my vet would probably lecture me if I brought them in without one, and its always useful to have it there should there be a dog in the waiting room or the cat needs surgery or something and should rest after.

Saying that, I do walk Autumn on a harness - she comes to the store with me etc, but I still feel more comfortable with her in a carrier at the vet

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats are not bothered by dogs at all. I've taken them to pet stores and shows/events where there were dogs around and they didn't mind the dogs, even barking-- they're used to that since I have a German Shepherd!
However any time there are dogs nearby I have them in their carrier/stroller and keep a distance for their safety, unless I know the dog VERY well and they are very cat friendly. I also always have them wearing harnesses if they are out in the carrier.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of carriers (I'm trying to have one per cat....yikes!). So far the best prices I've found are: a medium size, good for smaller cats, for $25 at Wal-Mart, and a larger size, good for the big kitties, for $30 at Target. I have foudn them cheaper online but after shipping is added in those are the best prices.

temperpolk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is such a great thread! Dusky can smell carriers a mile away. She hates them! She is due for a vet visit and its going to be interesting. Last year I gave up. I could not get her into a carrier to save my life. I got a different carrier and made it part of the living room furniture. I'm hoping for a smoother ride this time

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a plastic dog sized one and one of the soft ones. I prefer the plastic one because my cat always scratches at the soft one and I'm scared she'll rip it.

Luke will run right in the carrier as soon as it touches the floor. Kara will run under my bed the moment she sees it...lol

I always take them in the carrier and usually don't take them out in the waiting room. I'm paranoid they'll get spooked and run out the door somehow.

kittygirl02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Precious always goes to the vet in a carrier. She is an indoor only cat and I'm not about to risk her getting loose outside. Who knows where she'd run in a panic? Also, she could get hit by a car or something if she got loose. So yeah, I'm not about to risk her getting loose. I love my Precious too much to risk her health or life. I don't have a carrier of my own but I borrow my Grandma's cat carrier whenever I need one.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carriers are more convenient for both the pet and owner. I have used both hard and soft, it varies depending on the cat.
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Do the vets have cages for animals staying overnight??
What else do you think they would do with them?
Of course vets have cages, every single animal who is dropped off, has surgery, or is boarded has to have a sterile cage/holding place.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having said that vets do have cages or other holding areas - I've seen some pretty big individual areas for boarding - I always leave my Sherpa bags. I've got a large one for Dante and after his dental, the vet put him in there to 'sleep' it off, inside the regular cage. I think everyone there decided he'd be happier in his own 'house', and they still had total access to him while he was recovering.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never take my cats outside of our home, unless they are each secured safely in their own carriers.
I use a small dog carrier for Dexter and a lg. cat carrier for Isis.
I would probably use a small dog carrier for a 20 lb cat.

I usually add a tee shirt that I have worn but not laundered so they have my scent with them when we go to our vet visits.

I personally prefer the plastic airline type carriers like in your photo.
When we return home from the vet's, I immediately put it in the shower and de-contaminate it with a dilute chlorine mix, then throughly rinse it and let it dry.
Better safe than sorry.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't like to crate my cat, but I have crated unruly cats in the past. It all depends on the temperment of your cat(s) and the policy of your vet.

Right now all I do is harness and leash Bean Bean to take him into the vet. However, I go to a feline only vet. If I were to take my cat to a regular vet that sees cats, dogs, and other animals...I would definately crate my cat for his safety.

Not saying that all dogs are vicious, but I have seen more of my fair share of them and accidents can happen...

Edit - The rule of thumb for crating your cat is to make sure he has enough room to comfortably stand up and turn all the way around.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always take my cats to the vet in a carrier. All the vets I've been to require either a carrier or a leash (for dogs). I've seen people carry their pets in and in my opinion, it's not very responsible. Cats can get spooked by just about anything and especially by strange dogs. And they are very crafty escape artists! I think when someone comes in without a carrier, the vet just has a hard time speaking up and telling them they need to use a carrier.